36 replies to this topic

#26 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:21 PM

Well im not 100% on the rules when discussing product faults or companies, so mods if you see fit get rid of this bit.

We have used lukey mufflers before and it is our opinion that they are of an inferior quality. The systems (as in pre-fab systems) they make are even worse, they jsut dont have the same level of finish as other brands like X-force and redback.

The Lukey mufflers are all owned and manufactured in the US by walker. in our opinion they are outdated technologically, although they are starting to catch up now. But the mufflers seem to have a shorter life (in response to the complaint about redback ones, any muffler would have problems with those conditions) and they never seem to be as "good" in our views.

CHEERS Chris :spoton:

#27 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:58 PM

My LJ GTR exhaust system starts with a set of extractors going into a 2 1/4 pipe with only the rear XU1 muffler. It sounds great. Really changes note when approaching 3000 rpm's. No hotdog or middle muffler. The motor is very similar to XU1 spec. which gives it the typical torana exhaust sound. However, I would listen to orangeLJ as he is in the exhaust business. Here's a photo,

Regards Mick.

Posted Image

#28 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:33 PM

ohh and on that note, i will add we can get a front resonator specifically pressed to XU-1 spec. BUT i think they are real pricey, but will find out as we are getting one done in the next few weeks to fit my old mans XU-1 (which is currently getting paint) no one actually makes a front resonator to XU-1 spec anymore! :spoton:

Edited by orangeLJ, 14 April 2007 - 03:35 PM.

#29 _sav_dan_

_sav_dan_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2007 - 04:46 PM

How many bends will I need to go from the extractors back on the 4door LC?
What's everyone's recommendations on stainless steel Vs carbon steel?
And what's the best way to join carbon steel extractors to (possibly) stainless? carbon steel flange-gasket-stainless flange? , clamp or flared or such?
Cheers

Edited by sav_dan, 14 April 2007 - 04:47 PM.

#30 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:25 PM

Thanks Chris, valuable feedback and duly noted :spoton:

Will remember this when next I buy an exhaust system.

Cheers,

Craig.

#31 _JamesB_

_JamesB_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:49 PM

When I had my 4 door LC almost 30 years ago, I ran a dual 2" system on the 161.

The extractors were cut off at the last 2 into 1 joiner so that the front 3 cylinders ran into one pipe and the rear 3 ran into the other, with no crossover pipe. There was a single big offset style muffler on each side at the rear, but due to the fuel tank location, the mufflers were installed asymmetrically to ensure the outlets were symmetrical as they exited under the back valance.

The exhaust system really screwed up the carburettor mixture, but it sure sounded interesting.

#32 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:53 AM

When I had my 4 door LC almost 30 years ago, I ran a dual 2" system on the 161.

The extractors were cut off at the last 2 into 1 joiner so that the front 3 cylinders ran into one pipe and the rear 3 ran into the other, with no crossover pipe. There was a single big offset style muffler on each side at the rear, but due to the fuel tank location, the mufflers were installed asymmetrically to ensure the outlets were symmetrical as they exited under the back valance.

The exhaust system really screwed up the carburettor mixture, but it sure sounded interesting.

Those were the days! All noise, no horsepower. I used to get a lift to work during my apprenticeship from a guy with a "comb-over" He was 30 going on 18. His car was a XR Falcon, with a stock 6 except for extractors and twin 2" back.
Barked its guts out and went nowhere. 3 on the tree too. He used to "blip" the throttle before he turned it off to "build up compression" for the next start. :blink:

#33 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:56 AM

I'd get 2 1/4inch , I had that on my LC with a 161 & extractors. Went ok :)

#34 _JamesB_

_JamesB_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:27 AM

Those were the days! All noise, no horsepower. I used to get a lift to work during my apprenticeship from a guy with a "comb-over" He was 30 going on 18. His car was a XR Falcon, with a stock 6 except for extractors and twin 2" back.
Barked its guts out and went nowhere. 3 on the tree too. He used to "blip" the throttle before he turned it off to "build up compression" for the next start. :blink:

Yep. The 161 engine in my LC was stock except for a low restriction air cleaner, a pointless ignition, and the extractors and exhaust, but the exhaust sounded really good. Shame the engine couldn't actually perform to match the noise. At least my LC had the optional 4 speed Opel box in it (of course it also had a full set of drum brakes).

I stepped out of the gutless LC into the UC SL/T, and gave myself a hell of a fright on the way home from the dealer. People used to point at the totally stock looking UC (hubcaps and all) and laugh at the obviously fake piece of 2.5" exhaust pipe sticking out of the back. It was so much fun to blow away Falcon GTs with such an obviously stock UC.

#35 _sav_dan_

_sav_dan_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:23 AM

Does $26 per meter sound alright for 304 stainless 2.25" tube?
and $22 - $24 for s/s 2.25" 90deg mandrel bent?
I picked up a stainless steel lukey exhaust on ebay for $70 yesterday arvo (it was the only thing going on ebay orangeLJ!).
I picked up the extractors for $170.
So if all goes to plan my whole exhaust (carbon steel extractors and s/s 2.25" back with s/s lukey exhaust) should cost around $450. Pretty stoked

#36 _sav_dan_

_sav_dan_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:19 PM

Does anyone know how many bens i will need from extractors bacl on a 4door LC?

#37 _sav_dan_

_sav_dan_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:52 AM

*how many bends*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users