Binding drums

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _stevet_

_stevet_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:26 AM

The rear brakes on my LJ GTR are doing something strange. After a few mins driving and a few brake applications, they bind. I've gotten it home, removed the drum and wound the adjusters in. I've wound em in to the stop even and it still does it.

Car was in storage for 17 years...

Put a reco booster and master, calipers & new rear wheel cylinders. Plenty of meat on the shoes. Plenty of spring in the springs (bastard idea drums) When we put the cylinders in it took some big whacks on the brake pedal to force fluid through when bleeding the system but it was fine once cleared.

I haven't touched the valve after the master that splits pressure front to rear and I haven't re-bled the rears.

Any tips please?

#2 _Roadknight_

_Roadknight_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:17 PM

When you say binding, is it when you apply the brakes or constantly?

If they are grabbing check that the rear pads are on correctly, i.e front and rear of the pair are differentsizes.
I have just had this problem fixed in my tonner

#3 _stevet_

_stevet_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:01 AM

5 mins of driving and they stay on - strange huh?

I think I'm off to brake mech.

#4 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:32 AM

check what roadknight has said, there is a leading and trailing shoe in drum brakes!

The other thing i can think of is if the car has sat for such a long time, then youve probably got some rust in the brake lines ( remeber brake flud absorbs water!)

It might pay you to undo all teh brake lines and use compressed air to completely blow all the lines out and look at what comes out. If there are rusty chunks... it might be a good idea to replace the brake line tubing!

Worth a try i spose!

#5 _stevet_

_stevet_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:23 AM

Turned out to be a simple fiddle to the adjuster rod in the master. Master (new) was leaking too so got replaced f.o.c.

Burt Bros Fairfield (Sydney) - highly reccommend.

#6 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:46 AM

Phew, good to hear that it all turned out alright. Happy cruising.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users