LJ GTR Respray

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _LoneOranger_

_LoneOranger_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:39 PM

Hi,

I know there is a wealth of knowledge here and I'm looking for your opinions.

I'm currently having my LJ GTR restored to original appearance.

I'm not in total agreeance with the method the painter wants to paint the car.
He has done 2 other cars for me in this method ( I'm very happy with them), But I feel it is different for the Torana. But hey! I could be wrong.
I must point out that he is happy to paint the car however I want and it is open for discussion...

He wants to paint the engine bay and radiator support panel, then the black on the bottom and around windows. Followed by the body colour. All in 2 pack and COB.
This way he said there will be no paint edges.

I'm wondering, as the car will look original, if I'm not better off with the black being done last, which will leave a paint edge like the factory finish.

How does eveyone feel about COB, or should the car be done with acrylic.

Also can anyone tell me the paint codes and names for the paint on
Inside boot and engine bay.
Paint for the black on dash & trim
The black out on sills, apron, beaver & window frames
The silver for the wheels, and black in the centres.

Maybe some of these blacks are all the same paint.
I would like to be sure.

Car is a 9/73 LJ GTR Salamanca red

Many thanks, John.

#2 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:16 PM

Hay there JOHN .i just finnised my gtr in 2k we put the main colour on first then the black buff the edge off :rolleyes:

#3 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:38 PM

Really at the end of the day its your car so you have to be happy with the final result.

For me i'd be inclined to be more satisfied with a no edges result the way he wants to do it.

The Purists will want you to do it in Acrylic and have average tape lines and the edges to go with it.

Its your car and your money......None of the purists will be there to pay for your paint to be redone if an edge lifts off later on.....hehehe

I'm only JOKING.....lol

Personal opinion and if you want it to be judged at a concourse event well then maybe the original method will be the way to go.

#4 _LoneOranger_

_LoneOranger_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:10 PM

Hmm...

#5 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:21 PM

John theres a hep of imfo on the GTR wheels in here /silver flash for the rims
And the black for the stripes use to be called [GMH black out ]don,t know
If its still available any more?...... :D

#6 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

Go for 2k, it's a bit more expensive but its more durable, its glossy, less maintenance - need i say more?

James

#7 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:01 PM

John...
the guy who painted my race car (XU-1) said exactly the same thing. (black first then colour followed by clear. All in 2 pack.
He said it is easier to mask off that way as most of the black is at the bottom of the car so you just mask the top edge and let the paper hang to the floor...
Made sense to me at the time!
He has painted numerous well know show cars so I just nodded and said "whatever you rekon"
As it was he ended up using a topcoat in colour and also in black and no clear.. easier to refinish when some knuckle head runs into it!

My Other XU-1 was done in acrylic the "old way" paint colour then black.. and although it is a spot on original looking finish, the shine from the 2 pack on the race car leaves it for dead!!!

Cheers Greg..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users