Paint Stripper

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:48 PM

I'm after some paint stripper. Simply brush it on and watch the paint bubble away. I want some thing that works well, works quickly and doesn't keep working after you've re-sprayed the car. Please post your suggestions.

#2 J-Rod

J-Rod

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:36 PM

https://cache.gmh-to...IMAGE_00015.jpg

The tin in the background in this picture is what i used when i did my wheels. This was pretty cheap (IIRC $12/litre at bunnings) and seemed to work relativley well. It is fairly thick and i found that it worked better than the very thin brush on type stuff.

Its been 18 moths and i havent seen any adverse after effects yet :D

#3 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:57 PM

I have been using KnH paint stripper from repco. $60 for 4L. It hasn't been a magic pill as it still involves a fair a mount of time scraping all the bubbled paint from the surface. Also, I found the stripper is only good for the first 1-2 layers of paint or so - more applications were needed for panels with several layers of paint. The process was also quite messy and the stuff burns like all f&$@ if you get it on your skin.

On a positive I found the stripper useful for areas where grinders/sanders could not get to, like the door hinges. The bubbled paint then still needs to be blasted off with a higher pressure water/sand gun. From now on, I use course grit sanders for larger areas/panels.

Edited by Eddie, 16 January 2006 - 08:59 PM.

#4 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:32 PM

I like CAM paint stripper which is around 50-60 bucks for 4 litres.

A couple of tips to help the stripper along is to score the painted surface with 36 grit paper in your hand to leave some nice random scratches, apply your paint stripper nice and thick then cover it with a sheet of plastic.

this will help lift the paint off considerably faster.

#5 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:19 PM

the stuff at Bunnings, yellow tin $40 4L. Corse steel wool and water and it will fall off on the ground

#6 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:29 AM

I know the hotrod guys use paint stripper then the shell is immersed in molasses for a few days... this gets it right back to bare metal

#7 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:32 PM

Sounds like I'm off to Bunnings. I should have mentioned I'm not stripping the entire shell back to bare metal, only the areas affected by rust. Well, that's the plan at this stage...

#8 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:33 PM

The molasses is not for the paint to get stripped but to eat the rust. This will remove all rust and leave you with a great shiney panel.

Once layed teh stripper cove rit in Glad wrap and wait 5 minutes. This will let the paint stripper do its job more effectively and thus help lift more layers at once.

Once the area or car has been stripped was thoroughly with detergent and water and hose off. Then grab a tack cloth and/or prepsol and clean. coat with etch primer to stop more flashing and you will then have a bloody clean panel which you can start to repair....

Cheers

#9 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:26 PM

A tin of paint stripper is now in the garage. Thanks guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users