Power Turlte - Anyone heard of these?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:47 AM

I was just browsing Performance World website and came across this thing called a power turtle. I looks like a 4bbl gasket but with fins.

Posted Image

Found here - Performance World

I googled "power turlte" and got a heap of hits for Ninja Turtles or some such hoo-haa but nothing for the above device.

Any suggestions on what it does? My guess is that it somehow controls the distribution of fuel to allow for better atomisation, but knowing me, Im probably way off track!!

Edit - topic should read "power turtle" not "power turlte" - doh!!!

Edited by Big T, 27 April 2007 - 09:50 AM.

#2 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:15 AM

The power turtle's I recall seeing advertised quite a while ago actually looked like a turtle. They were made of metal and were designed to be epoxied onto the manifold floor, below the carb. The idea was they helped with mixture distribution by creating some turbulence and preventing fuel pooling in the manifold.

#3 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:10 AM

Righto, thats pretty much what the guts of my Redline Maxitorque manifold looks like i.e a turtles shell.

Do you reckon this device would be of any benfit with the aforementioned manifold? For $40 I'd think about it, but if its a gimmick, then nah, I'll just buy more chrome bits.

#4 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:38 AM

Hard to work out what its meant to achieve, maybe a stronger vacuum signal to the carb courtesy of the extensions?

#5 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:22 PM

They 'should' also help with flow as the sort of direct the air into the ports instead of it hitting a 'dead end' at the bottom of the manifold.

#6 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:11 PM

It is a fairly average attempt to reduce turbulance where the air and fuel leave the carb base and enter the manifold plenum. You can purchase blended 1 and 2" spacers that do a better job (marketed as Super Suckers or similar). As to whether they work or not that depends on your combo. They seem to work best on engines with too much plenum volume.

Hope this helps.

#7 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:35 PM

while on the plenum volume subject and the shape of the maxi-torque manifold, there is a train of thought that says the "hump" in the chamber restricts fuel to the rear of the engine whilst only operating on the primary side of the carb.

any thoughts struggler?

#8 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:00 PM

Righto, so if excess chamber volume is probably not an issue on the maxi-torque, I can dismiss the Donatello device. Makes sense. While sense is being made in my abused excuse for a brain, would restriction of fuel be a major issue when only the primaries are open? Hmmm, think Ive answered that myself. Bear with me, this helps me learn. In order for the secondaries to open on say a Holley (non mech secondaries) the engine needs load and vacuum which would be produced quicker if there was no restriction of fuel from the primaries. So yeah, it would be an issue when running down the quarter. Does that sound about right?

#9 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:03 PM

When in doubt add in a fuel pressure gauge to see if your pump is up to scratch if that's what you mean?

#10 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:50 PM

while on the plenum volume subject and the shape of the maxi-torque manifold, there is a train of thought that says the "hump" in the chamber restricts fuel to the rear of the engine whilst only operating on the primary side of the carb.

any thoughts struggler?

I have only ever used the Maxitork on forced induction engines. In this application they work well (due I believe to the turtle).

I have found that by removing the Maxitork from an aspirated engine and fitting a standard manifold with an adapter, torque is improved markedly. I would never use one on a naturally aspirated engine.

As an aside, if you thought the turtle was hurting fuel distribution then add a spacer. This will fix it.

#11 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:55 PM

In order for the secondaries to open on say a Holley (non mech secondaries) the engine needs load and vacuum which would be produced quicker if there was no restriction of fuel from the primaries. So yeah, it would be an issue when running down the quarter. Does that sound about right?

I assume you are talking about a vac. sec. Holley ?

The secondaries are not activated by manifold vacuum (this is a common misconception). They are activated by vacuum created in the venturi by high air speed through the carb. This normally occurs when there is little to no manifold vacuum.

Yes the engine must be loaded to create enough air speed through the carb. You won't get them to open on a free rev.

If I haven't answered your question please be a bit more precise.

Hope this helps.

#12 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:19 PM

when you say standard struggler,you are implying holden yeah?

Edited by arrimar, 27 April 2007 - 09:20 PM.

#13 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:32 PM

when you say standard struggler,you are implying holden yeah?

Correct.

#14 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:23 PM

All the above is making sense so yeah, my question is answered, thanks fellas. Might keep my eye out for a standard manifold to try out, but in no hurry to spend $$$'s yet. I've got a 1 inch spacer already so hopefully that helps a bit. Gee its a steep learning curve getting to know the in's and out's of engines, but it is good fun. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users