SA IPRA Round 2 Mallala

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:04 PM

Round 2 for the IPRA will be on over 2 days Saturday and Sunday May 19&20th.

There won't be too may Toranas at this one as Dave and Wayne recently decided they won't be racing that weekend due to some new goodies going on Waynes car.
I have a golf tournament to play in so will only be there one day with the camera.

Lets hope Sam (LH350) can carry the flag for the Torries.

#2 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:51 PM

Yeah I'm 90% sure I'll be at this event, picking up my new tyres today, just waiting on K&A to finish some bits, provided I get them, it should be a goer!

#3 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:57 AM

As you have done for me Sam... good luck out there also. Let me know how the new tyres are and what the tyre pressures work out 2 B.

Looks like I have a better setup than you at the mo in regards to PI (gearing)... I hope you can come up with some sough-ta set up change that works... like someone said... you could be on the rev limit for 200 metres...ouch :rolleyes:

I'm also out this arvo to pick up a 3rd hatch... its the sister car to the undercoat hatch (part of that deal) but is basically a rolling shell, once I get it home I will access what parts I want off it and decide after that what to do with it :huh: :D

#4 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:03 AM

Yeah will be interesting to see how the tyres go, I've got a fair idea of where to start from, looking for a low 30's hot pressure, which is heaps less than the A032's, but apparently suits the tyre construction...

Dont worry about Phillip Island, If I'd stuck with the 3.25 I would have been running out of revs but I've managed to find a 3.15 ratio which Paul Rule recommended, and I might squeeze a little more out of the rev limit to get the top speed. Actually my main concern is more stability through the high speed corners.. .eg turn 1... I think the springs are in the ballpark, but the shocks will get a workout around there, anyway we'll see what happens come september... :D

Another hatch to add to the collection, nice.... they just seem to be falling into you lap.... :rockon:

#5 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:10 PM

It's this weekend.
You still ok to make it Sam? If so good luck. I hope to make it out on the Saturday only.
Lets hope it's not a wet weekend. It's bucketing down now while I type this.

#6 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:35 PM

Yeah I think I'll be able to scrape up the funds to get out there, I'm pretty keen especially as I wont be running again till early september...

So far the outlook is fine for saturday with a few showers on sunday, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed..!

#7 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:00 AM

How ya getting on Sam.. ya gunna make it??
Weather forcast for us is rain on friday and then clearing. I have driven around EC in the wet at the MCM in 2005 and if you saw the in car footage of the guys racin, I was exactly the same.... a pushbike could have done a quicker lap. :rolleyes:

Another hatch to add to the collection, nice.... they just seem to be falling into you lap.... 

Ya not gunna believe this, No. 4 is on the way...I was in checking on my hatch at the panel beaters and a guy I know said that he has a UC hatch that he was wrecking... it had a lot of bits on it that I wanted.. get this... it has been in storage for 20 years... his granny owned it and just parked it!! its a 6 cyl manwell (I love those mexican boxes :D )

Pete

#8 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:25 AM

if you wreck it let me know!

#9 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:45 AM

Hey Pete,

Yeah I'll be out there this weekend, looks like its gonna be a wet one for us too... Will be intersting to see how the A048's go in the wet, obviously I'd prefer dry weather, but I'm just looking at it as another opportunity to get more experience racing in wet conditions...

ANOTHER HATCH!

Man you're gonna need to build another shed soon...haha

#10 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:34 PM

if you wreck it let me know!

Ok Gary will do....

#11 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:05 PM

:furious: I didn't make it on the Saturday as planed as I had to work on the Saturday for no pay. The wonderful world of being on staff.
Sorry guys no pics this time.

Sam. I had a look on the nat soft site for times and results. It looks like things didn't go all that well. Still having problems with the fuel system or some other gremlin?

#12 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:25 AM

Sam. I had a look on the nat soft site for times and results. It looks like things didn't go all that well. Still having problems with the fuel system or some other gremlin?

Hey Craig,

Yeah bit of a frustrating weekend unfortunately, and yes it was still the same problem.... Originally I though it was the tank design, so I added some baffles and thought it was all fixed... how wrong was I (serves me right for not testing in between rounds)..spent the whole weekend changing things and trying them, but nothing made any difference... I was convinced the problem was related to the fuel tank or pickup as it was when I put this new tank in that the problems started. It would start and run okay, I could get about 4 laps out of it and then it would stop.

During race 3 on sunday morning, it decided to cut out while i was in the process of passing someone through the kink, nearly ended in a big stack, so I decided to pack it up and head home. Had yesterday off, so pulled the tank and all associated lines etc out, checked each component and thankfully I found the real cause of the problem, it was nothing to do with the fuel tank. The hose that goes from the tank to the supply pump had a restriction in it that was limiting how quickly it would fill the swirl pot with fuel. So the engine pump was emptying the swirl pot quicker than the supply pump could fill it, after 4 laps the swirl pot would be totally dry and it would stop. I had used that particular bit of fuel line in a different application with the old tank that required a restrictor in it, but had forgotton it was in there... Just wish I'd found it when I was at the track! what an idiot :fool:

Was a bit bummed out that I didnt get more track time to get a better idea of how good the new tyres are, certainly felt much better in the wet though, and my starts improved a bit too which was good. Tell Wayne and Dave I'm sorry I didnt get more time to chat, was such a hectic weekend, def missed having them out there to race with!

A few of the blokes from our club are keen to run at the Sandown round in mid July, so I have to decide if I want to go there or to Phillip Island, might work out better though as I'll be able to make SA round 3 if I go to sandown.. not too sure yet.

Hope the hatchling is well and you are both getting some sleep!

cheers,

Sam

#13 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:05 AM

Bad Luck Sam,
my weekend was a similar story... I will spell it all out in my thread.

#14 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:24 PM

Something I forgot to mention, a BIG thankyou to Aaron (hrt1and2)!

He came down on both days and gave me a hand, was really good to have an extra pair of hands helping... You're more than welcome to come out again next time..

Thanks again mate, much appreciated :spoton:

#15 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

Thanks Sam, but a huge thanks to u too man. fu*king awsum weekend :spoton:, i just hope those fuel issues get sorted, coz that car has a shit load of potential. :blink: (fingers crossed) one day i will be out there racing, and i will see car #11 in my mirrors. :tease:

Cheers.

#16 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:32 PM

Lol! Yeah but dont you get a woody,Sam when you find the problem??...That actually makes the day..
R

#17 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:17 PM

Had yesterday off, so pulled the tank and all associated lines etc out, checked each component and thankfully I found the real cause of the problem, it was nothing to do with the fuel tank. The hose that goes from the tank to the supply pump had a restriction in it that was limiting how quickly it would fill the swirl pot with fuel. So the engine pump was emptying the swirl pot quicker than the supply pump could fill it, after 4 laps the swirl pot would be totally dry and it would stop. I had used that particular bit of fuel line in a different application with the old tank that required a restrictor in it, but had forgotton it was in there... Just wish I'd found it when I was at the track! what an idiot :fool:

As mentioned above, pretty sure I've got the problem sorted now, but just to be safe, I'll do a test day early next month.

Gonna have a meeting with some of the boys from the club tomorrow, we'll see who wants to go to which event (sandown or phillip island) and try and come up with some plans. Then its just a matter of getting the cash together..

Hey Aaron, once you're cashed up you should def get out there on the track, best fun you can have with your pants on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users