Fuel light??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _Holdenmad_

_Holdenmad_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:18 PM

In my LH standard Dash, it looks like there is a fuel low light, like a gerry can crossed out. Is this a fuel low light?
It does not come on when the park brake, oil light etc comes on at accesory prior to starting the car.
So I was not too sure if the bulb is gone and if ths is a fuel low light.

Probably a dumb question, but handy to know if I can rely on this, as my fuel gauge is not very accurate.

Cheers :<_<:

#2 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:26 AM

....it maybe.....cant remember seeing a jerry can or not. Never heard of the feature....but it may have been an option, certainly it would not be unusual for the light to appear in the dash cluster but not be connected! .
Uc certainly doesnt have this feature. Do you have an alternator/battery light that illuminates when you turn the ignition to on?
In the standard dash you should see the oil and alternator light and parking brake lamp(if engaged) light at the on position.
When cranking the motor you should also see the brake and temp warning lights illuminate, Id expect the same for your jerry can if it was connected.
If you wanted to test if it did work when the fuel gets low, without running out of fuel:
disconnect the wire to the sender and substitute a resistance of ~ 60-70 Ohm (empty resistance) between the wire and earth and see if it lights the lamp.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 02 May 2007 - 07:30 AM.

#3 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:37 AM

Possibly it is more likely that if the feature is there that there is a separate sensor for this in the tank which has its own wire going to it.

#4 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:05 PM

I dont think any LH/LX had a low fuel light (cant even recall seeing it as an option).

#5 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:09 PM

It was an option on LX, but it's not low fuel, it's economy. Same sort of thing as that stupid gauge in VH Commodores. Works on Vacumn.

#6 _Holdenmad_

_Holdenmad_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:58 PM

I will hafta get a photo, but the pic is exactly like the gerry can symbol on the LSR dash for the fuel gauge, but it has a slash thru it. Light never comes on. does it sound like I have an LX cluster?

I will try and get some pics later tonight.

#7 _SLRMike_

_SLRMike_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

I have one of these lights in a dash cluster (LH I think) never worked though

Mike

#8 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

My LX has the lense with the jerry can on it but it never had a globe or any wiring to it - I use that one for my check engine light now.

M@

#9 barny_lx

barny_lx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

easy one... its VACUUM and yeah basically glows when you give the car a hard time !

#10 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:00 AM

Exactly as REDA9X has mentioned - it's a fuel economy light, not a low fuel light. It was an option, but I've never seen one fitted to a car, and I've seen quite a few LH/LXs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users