build me a performance engine

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _bon_scott_

_bon_scott_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:17 PM

i'll be buying a torana of some sort soon, most likely an lh.
what are some cheap and easy things i can do to the engine to make it quicker?
my mates dad said to put on the 2 barrel stromberg (i think its stromberg) of the 186S and extractors, then i was thinking roller rockers and a bigger camshaft (most likely xu1).
also should i get the alloy timing gear stuff or leave it?
cheers
bon

#2 barny_lx

barny_lx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:02 PM

mate is depends on how much you want to spend , what you want....etc etc

if its a red sixm you can put together a nice motor for not much coin at all....carby, cam and a hot head and extractors and your on the right path..

Btw i thoguht u had died 25 years ago!, its good to see your still alive, tell that Brian Johnson dickhead to piss off....your music was soo much better B)

#3 _redlh_

_redlh_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:21 PM

Hey Bon, good to see you back in the land of the living...

My question is how much car/engine building background you have? If the answer is not much, then I suggest you pick up some basic engine building books and get a feel for what's required in a standard rebuild. Then you can look at some performance build-up publications with a better understanding of what you want versus what you can afford.

Having said that, anything that lets the engine breathe better will be an improvement. Bigger carbies, camshafts, head porting, extractors and a bigger exhaust system are relatively cheap and simple ways to increase performance.

Then you can start looking at gearing options with transmissions, diffs and wheel/tyre combinations.

Of course, making it go quicker means you have consider making it stop as well and that means brake improvements such as playing with pad compounds, calliper and rotor upgrades.

Hope this helps.

B)

#4 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name:James - JImmy or Jim
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:23 PM

id buy the car first then worrie about what your goin' to do to the engine ;) ,
coz you can always pick up warm 6 bangers out of the trader fairly cheep.
Trust me after you actuly pick up a car you will be overwelmed with lil things that could be done.... that leads into Biger things..... it never ends :P
regards.
james

#5 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:57 PM

id buy the car first then worrie about what your goin' to do to the engine ;) ,

Sound advice :D

#6 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:14 PM

Unless your going to drive round at 5,000RPM + all day every day, roller rockers are a luxury that won't greatly affect performance.

Agree with the above, carbie, heads, exhaust, and hi-performance air filter. For more top end response, stick on some thermo fans.

Good luck with your search, I'd be focussing on just getting the car first, the rest you can worry about when your ready.

#7 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:39 PM

Before you start hotting it up, get straight cut timing gears and make sure u have the metal dizzy gear otherwise you'll find yourself getting out the tow rope sooner than you'd think. My old 202 had both those things and never left me strandard but i've seen heaps of ppl strip the timing and dizzy gears.

Edit: Yella it probably is safe to assume that he will be driving around at 5000rpm all day :P

Edited by QIKSLR, 14 November 2005 - 07:40 PM.

#8 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:19 PM

so getting rid of the engine fan gives better top end response?

#9 _bon_scott_

_bon_scott_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:29 AM

lol. after i was shot down in flames, someone carried me home, so now i'm back in black B)
i know i should get the car first, but i'll have some spare $$$ so i thought i'd get a few estimates/opinions on stuff.
i'll have approx $1000 to do stuff so is there anything else besides the good timing gear/metal dizzy that is a must have?
my engine building knowledge is limited to mostly small two stroke race bike motors and a few small four stroke mower engines, however i do know a lot of the theory stuff behind engines (shitty non practical auto course :angry: )

what exactly was the 186S engine? was i right about the 2 barrel stromberg and extractors? is there anything else different about it.

#10 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:12 AM

Get the exhaust side of things sorted out, ie extractors, free flowing system, performance muffler etc.

Then fit a two barrel manifold and carby, not just an adaptor plate onto the std single barrel manifold. Either a WW Stromberg if you can find one in good nick or alternatively a Weber off a 250 Falcon.

Depending on the driving you do, I'd keep the engine fan, but fit a late model Commo (ie VH,VK) unit along with the radiator shroud.

From there later on you can do a cam swap, but I'd determine the condition of the engine first, no point putting a new cam into a clapped out bunky engine.

#11 _Chaotic_

_Chaotic_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:46 AM

With a budget of a grand your not looking at doing much to the engine itself, more the breathing aspects of it. I've got my head at head shop now getting work done and thats costing over a grand, but it all comes down to what your looking at getting it to do. For an idea i've got a yella terra 186 head, getting hardened valve seats, ford au valve stem seals, rocker stud kit, getting rid of oversized yt valves and going back to standard valves, yt roller rockers, and sandblast and crack testing of the head and as well as new set of lifters and pushrods and checking out my cam and thats just the top end... Probally look at hone and re-ring it and check crank bearings, timing gears, harmonic balancer etc...

I noticed bit of a difference going from standard exhaust to extractors with 2 1/4 exhaust, and running a 350 holley at the moment but in time might look at getting rid of the fuel bucket.

#12 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:10 AM

Pull the motor aout and put a 308 in, then it will go better. Old red 308's are easy to get cheap, maybe even wreck out an old statesman for the driveline.

:D

#13 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:40 AM

my engine building knowledge is limited to mostly small two stroke race bike motors and a few small four stroke mower engines, however i do know a lot of the theory stuff behind engines (shitty non practical auto course :angry: )

hehe now where was that site where they stuffed bike engines in things like gemini's :blink:
On the slight subject of bikes anyone go to the VIC Vs. NSW titles last weekend? want to know what exactly happened to ashley, were all still a bit cut up by it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users