ENGINE ELECTRICAL

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _JAKELH5Li_

_JAKELH5Li_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

G DAY GUYS , IM NEW TO THIS SITE. I HAVE A VR 5L ENGINE THAT IM ABOUT TO INSTALL IN MY LH TORANA. I HAVE PREVIOUSLY HAD THIS ENGINE IN A WB PANELVAN AND IT WOULD NOT REV OVER 4000. I HAD IT ON GAS IN THE VAN AND IT WOULD GO OVER 4000 ON GAS SO I PRESUME ITS THE INJECTORS SHUTTING DOWN. I DID ALL INSTALLATION MYSELF IN THE VAN AND WILL DO SO AGAIN IN THE TORANA BUT IT WILL BE FUEL ONLY IN THE TORANA SO I REALLY WANT TO SORT THIS OUT! ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS?

#2 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:57 PM

Bgucked injectors I would guess.

I have seen it on a VN where it would not even run cleanly at all. Changed the injectors and all was perfect.

P.S. PLEASE DO NOT USE CAPITALS, SOME HERE REGARD IT AS SHOUTING.

#3 _luv the uc_

_luv the uc_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:48 PM

If it was doing it on gas chances are its not your injectors. My bet is a faulty coil or problems with the gas components.

#4 _JAKELH5Li_

_JAKELH5Li_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for replying guys, got the point about the capitals. I dont think its the injectors cause it runs fine up to 4000. It feels like a rev limiter when it shuts down it switches the engine on and off etc. Im wondering if its got something to do with the speedo sensor not being connected? I read in another forum case that it was causing problems for one of the other guys in perth I think.

#5 _Jewboy_

_Jewboy_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

I had a similar prob with my 308 after it was rebuilt, would rev slowly up to 6K but if i mashed the pedal it would breakdown after 4K. I had the engine bay wires redone when the engine was rebuilt but i think the sparky made it back to orig using the resisted wire (pink) and it didn't get full 12V to the coil (HEI dissy), i connected a new wire up from proper 12v source and the car flies and doesn't break down.

#6 _JAKELH5Li_

_JAKELH5Li_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

Thanks Jewboy is yours carby fed or injected? Ive used the pink wire to activate the ignition relay in the commodore loom. Im basicly using the complete commodore loom and triggering the relays in the original relay bank from the original 6 or 8 wires that are in the holden loom if that makes sense.

#7 _Jewboy_

_Jewboy_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:22 AM

Yeah its a carby, Just seemed like a similar prob, you could just use a jump wire to the coil to check. Only other thing is to check and see if vibration is making something lose connection

#8 _JAKELH5Li_

_JAKELH5Li_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:56 AM

No worries thanks for the help. I ll let you know when I get it in the torana. Probably a couple of weeks away. Thanks again.

#9 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

luv the uc,

He did say he did not have the problem on gas if you read his original blog.

The only difference is petrol is control by the Fuel pump, ECU and injector.

So why would the ignition system be a problem?

Maybe the speed sensor affects the ECU performance after all!!

#10 _JAKELH5Li_

_JAKELH5Li_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:47 PM

Hey guys I ll be putting the motor in within the next few weeks hopefully so I ll let you know how I go. The speed sensor is the only thing that wasnt connected however, Ive done 3 other conversions like this 2 others using VN V8s and one using VS Clubsport V8 and never had this problem. In two of those three conversions the speed sensor wasnt connected and never gave problems. Guess im just lucky. I ll keep in touch. Cheers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users