Finally Arrived !!!!9/72 XU1

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hey guys, well after all the read tape bullshit, finally got her home...... arrived yesterday arvy.......and since it arrived havent had any decent daylight to get some photos.....but will do by the end of the week...for those of you who dont know its a 9/72....maybe bathurst? XU1

in the mean time, have a couple of questions about some of the parts on the car to work out if there original or not.....first the head has the following numbers on it
2815843 C233 9 H

the photo below is of a tag that the guy who sold it to me found in a box of spares when he bought it.... he had bugger all knowledge of xu1's and simply bought it to make some money on..... any ideas of where this tag is from or what it is off ?

Posted Image

It came with a bunch of crap in the boot, various bits and pieces,,,,so may also post up some pictures of them to help with identification... another stupid question but did this model come out with seat belts in the back ?

Once I get some decent photos I will throw em up and let you guys nit pick a bit further.....want to get her as original as possible so all help and advice will be greatly appreciated........ thanks.., :D
Adam

#2 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

Groovy Adam....Great !!!..The head is the mumble..not sure on date but the 2815843 is the right one....Dont know about the belts..someone will..cant remember the cutover date...The tag looks like a KIWI thing..not genuine GMH as far as I know...Get those pics up BABY!! :spoton: :spoton: :clap: :clap:
R

Edited by rorym, 09 May 2007 - 08:43 PM.

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:42 PM

Limited slip 3.55 ratio????

#4 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,290 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:11 PM

Hi

C233 = March 23rd 1973 cast date.

ADR4 made rear seatbelts compulsory on 1/1/71

Bazza

#5 _ronaldoredsox_

_ronaldoredsox_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:34 PM

It should have 3 seat belts in back. 2 x lap sash and 1 x lap.

#6 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:26 PM

Heres some pics......have to find a better spot next time!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

yes...I know the front indicator lenses should be clear, and the steering wheel is wrong....have got those already just need to change.. and I think the air cleaners on the carbies are wrong to ? what sort of carbies did these come out with from holden...?
Adam

#7 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:32 PM

Thought the lenses were orange on LJs...Andrew (torana05)has the Air filters..The air filter head caps and wing nuts/dot locks for them are on Ebay. Mate!..LOOKS GREAT!
R

#8 _Toranaman24_

_Toranaman24_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

Mate im jealous as! i love it looks absolutly awsome. Good work

Matt

#9 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:04 PM

thats a cool car :D

#10 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:04 PM

nice pant job them kiwis did hay! looks wicked in that colour :rockon:

#11 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

thanks.... why would the head be a '73 model...not original? got the motor off to a mate to be rebuilt, should be done in the next month or so... to orig. specs of course....... any ideas on the weird perhaps diff tag? and also what sort of fuel cap should they have? its got a lockable one, but I have bought a non locable original off ebay black/silver in the belief it should have one on it ?.....might be best i go to a club meeting and ask all these questions at once !... it sounds even better than it looks..! cant wait to get it regoed.. which by the way, will it pass without a rear view mirror on the side.. I have it just dont want to drill any holes in the body.. :D

#12 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:11 PM

All black fuel cap no! no emblem . but this is a very debatably subject :D

#13 MR_J

MR_J

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:40 PM

great looking car, well done mate! :D

#14 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:50 PM

All black fuel cap no! no emblem .  but this is a very debatably subject  :D

Hi

Probably the most debated aspect concerning XU-1s is "what is the correct cap?". There are quite a number of publicity and period shots and of the XU-1 having a plain black cap. The parts catalogues support this also.

There is anecdotal evidence that suggests that a lot of dealers, salesmen and potential customers didn't like the black cap and swapped it for the "Lion" GTR cap.

In the final analysis - does it really matter?

Bazza

#15 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:03 PM

doesnt matter that much.....just want to get it right... the original key for it has the following on it
GM
your way to greater value....

was that their motto back then!? ha ha

#16 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:36 PM

Original key as well.
R

#17 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

nice pick up

yes you will need a mirror on the RHS door

#18 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:22 PM

Hi Guys.

To answer the carby question, LJ XU-1s were fitted with 3 x Zenith-Stromberg 175 CD2-S carbies, yours look correct from this distance. You are correct about the air cleaners, they are not the right ones. 2 other things that are relatively easy to fix are the correct oil cap and the cast iron (big nut) brake master cylinder.

Dr Terry.

#19 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:40 PM

Hi Guys.

To answer the carby question, LJ XU-1s were fitted with 3 x Zenith-Stromberg 175 CD2-S carbies, yours look correct from this distance. You are correct about the air cleaners, they are not the right ones. 2 other things that are relatively easy to fix are the correct oil cap and the cast iron (big nut) brake master cylinder.

Dr Terry.

Hi

And at t the risk of stating the obvious - the fuel lines have been modified. Repro parts are available from Brad Merrick.

Were you lucky enough to score the correct distributor and radiator?

Bazza

#20 _tuffgong_

_tuffgong_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:52 AM

skapinad, the diff tag is a kiwi thing, that goes like this.
5206978- part number
ls 3.55 well you know
5733 serial number for over there
-2 means 72.

orange leans are right for lj, lc are clear.
lion cap for gtr and xu-1, only plain black for bathurst models.
more original to have the mirror mounted on car.
key should also have a number stamped under the gm to be original.
and mate you do know that you are missing two choke cables.

mate other than that it is a very nice car, you have done well for yourself now kick back and injoy you real peace of aussie history.

cheers the gong.

ps any kiwis on the forum whom can confurm this tag, before people start dribberling.

#21 _LoneOranger_

_LoneOranger_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:29 AM

This XU1 I bought NEW in late 1972
Can't remember the compliance date though.
It has white blinker lenses and an all black fuel cap. As I bought it.
The steering wheel cantre cap also was plain (NO GTR)
John.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:39 AM

Top car mate, love chateu mauve colour on an LJ. bet you cant wait to get her rego'd & just take her for a spin!! :D

All LC's have clear blinker lenses and not all LJ's have clear lenses, 72 & early 73 (change over period) did

Cheers,
Mick

Edited by LOWS2, 11 May 2007 - 08:41 AM.

#23 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:47 AM

Hi Guys.

Just to confirm what others have said, the amber front blinker lenses were not introduced in the LJ series, until very late 1972 for the upcoming '73 ADRs. It's easy to check if you car should have them or not. If the parking lights are with the blinkers, the lenses should be clear/white, if the parkers are in the headlights, the lenses should be amber.

AFAIK ALL XU-1s from the very early (August 1970) versions have the all black fuel cap from the factory, with no emblem. Dealers often fitted the chrome GTR item (either locking or standard) on request.

I find it difficult to believe LoneOranger's claim of the plain black steering wheel centre cap in a '72 GTR. I was working in a GM-H dealership at the time & clearly remember the first time that I sighted a plain horn cap was in an LH SL/R in March '74. The reason for their introduction was so that they didn't need to make a dozen different badges for the centre cap. They had already made GTS, GTR, SS and Sandman. If it continued they would've had to make SL/R & G-Pak etc as well as the fact that the HQ GTS & SS badges were of a different shape & style (lettering font) to the upcoming HJ GTS or LX SS. It also allowed them to make the wheel available as an genuine accessory on any model. Previously, if you wanted a sports steering wheel on say a Premier, a Kingswood or a Torana SL, it had to come with a GTS (or other incorrect) badge.

Dr Terry

#24 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:59 AM

Hi Guys.

I find it difficult to believe LoneOranger's claim of the plain black steering wheel centre cap in a '72 GTR. I was working in a GM-H dealership at the time & clearly remember the first time that I sighted a plain horn cap was in an LH SL/R in March '74. The reason for their introduction was so that they didn't need to make a dozen different badges for the centre cap. They had already made GTS, GTR, SS and Sandman. If it continued they would've had to make SL/R & G-Pak etc as well as the fact that the HQ GTS & SS badges were of a different shape & style (lettering font) to the upcoming HJ GTS or LX SS. It also allowed them to make the wheel available as an genuine accessory on any model. Previously, if you wanted a sports steering wheel on say a Premier, a Kingswood or a Torana SL, it had to come with a GTS (or other incorrect) badge.

Dr Terry

well he did say loneranger john !that it was a xu1 dr terry not gtr i couldnt imagine a gtr with a plain cap
buy xu1s humm i am sure i have seen them with plane caps ???

but hay i no expert!!
i beleve you john :D

#25 _73lj202_

_73lj202_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:12 PM

Hi Guys.

Just to confirm what others have said, the amber front blinker lenses were not introduced in the LJ series, until very late 1972 for the upcoming '73 ADRs. It's easy to check if you car should have them or not. If the parking lights are with the blinkers, the lenses should be clear/white, if the parkers are in the headlights, the lenses should be amber.

AFAIK ALL XU-1s from the very early (August 1970) versions have the all black fuel cap from the factory, with no emblem. Dealers often fitted the chrome GTR item (either locking or standard) on request.

Dr Terry

Hi, yeb know that :D

just had to do it :spoton:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users