Lights on - tempture guage up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

Any suggestions on why would my lights being switched on affect my tempture guage reading. Lights on - temp up, lights off - normal temp. I have an LH with 253. Thanks

#2 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:17 PM

Could be a few things - maybe a weak earth link somewhere. Check the wire from the negative onthe battery to the radiator is good and the other smaller earth wires behind the dash etc. Is your headlight switch making good contact with the dash still? (round nut fully tightened).

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:34 PM

Try running a jumper lead from the battery negative to the engine and then the body as Flamenco has suggested and see if there is any difference.

#4 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:44 PM

Bad earth or could even be crook battery/alternator, start with the earths first and then check charge rate and battery.

#5 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look at these this weekend. I don't know if this is relevant but my voltage guage is allways pointing to the high end of the red indicator. Thanks John

#6 _JAKELH5Li_

_JAKELH5Li_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:56 PM

G day 1ARC, Definitely an earth problem, I had identical problems with a VH Charger it caused all sorts of hassles. With that car I simply put a engine to body earth on it as the old one had broken sometime in the last thirty years (imagine that!). As one of the other guys said check the earth from battery to radiator bolts and I think from memory the main dash earth is above the RH kickpanel. But dont hold me to it. Cheers

#7 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

Try an additional earth wire from the back of the dash to the body. It fixed my XU-1 guages many years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users