50 replies to this topic

#1 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:22 AM

Hi. I need to clarify if any GTRs came out of the factory with the second spare wheel bracket that allows the spare wheel to sit basically upright in the spare wheel well. As far as I know, all LC/LJ 6s came with the smaller centrally mounted bracket with the hole in it (ie on the edge of the boot floor section, halfway along the spare wheel tub), which had a retainer rod and nut to hold the spare wheel in place, and the sedans and non GTR coupes also had a second bracket up near the front of the spare wheel tub which the wheel rested on.

I know that the GTRs and XU1s came out with wider rims, and they were meant to sit nearly flat in the boot, and this second bracket would probably not permit that, but I have been asked about a particular car, which seems to be an original LC GTR with all the right numbers and bits, but it has this second bracket.

Anyone have any knowledge on this?

#2 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:06 AM

Dont know the answer but here is some pics i took from my 2 cars ages ago
1969 LC GTR
Posted Image

4 door 1971 4 door LC
Posted Image
Hope this helps...

#3 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:00 PM

Thanks - that definitely clarifies which brackets I'm talking about - Plus the afact your GTR doesn't have the second bracket :D

#4 _blkwatch_

_blkwatch_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:38 PM

My GTR is the same has the floor bracket/ plus also has the threaded hole for the stand up bracket
my gtr is genuine and has been confirmed tags never removed /

maybe they just used available panels at the time of assembly weather blanks or not /who nows?

#5 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:33 PM

My GTR is the same has the floor bracket/ plus also has the threaded hole for the stand up bracket
my gtr is genuine and has been confirmed tags never removed /

maybe they just used available panels at the time of assembly weather blanks or not /who nows?

blkwatch, just to clarify 100%, can you confirm that your genuine GTR has the two spare wheel brackets, as in the second photo?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what month and year GTR is it?

Cheers,

Dangerous

#6 _tuffgong_

_tuffgong_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:43 AM

well look what we have here, a case of the friday built cars or have you poor folks being robbed.

fellars your gtrs should have 1 bracket only, unless your boot floors have had rust repairs at some stage and have being replaced by some one whom didnt know that much about these cars, other than that i would say reshell.
it is easy to say that tags have never being removed and just as easy to make it look that way, fellars just look into your cars a bit more.

cheers the gong

#7 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:06 AM

Appreciate what you're saying tuffgong, but I know of a few cases where unusual or 'not normal' things were fitted to or included with Holdens on the production line. I know that GTRs should not normally have the second bracket, but I'm not willing to tell someone else that is looking at a big dollar car that it is not a genuine GTR simply because it has a second bracket fitted. Sure, it's a reason to look very closely at the car, but not enough of a reason to say it's not a GTR. Hence my original question. It would have been easy for a production line worker to include a second bracket on a GTR shell or boot floor if he/she wasn't paying attention at the time. There were lots of options for these brackets between 4 cyl, 6 cyl and GTR/XU-1 models.

I haven't seen the car myself yet, but if and when I do, I'll be sure to check all the usual (and unusual) things about it.

#8 bryanw

bryanw

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:07 AM

I have a 2/70 melbourne gtr, gaurds never been off, no cut/shunt, no rust repairs in the boot (yet) started life as a gtr. and it has one bracket, but it looks like one had been removed a long time ago. looks like original paint. or is there a small tab 1mm thick to weld to? for the front bracket. or is this a part of the bracket not cut off?

maybe we are being robbed, but these guys that weld on a bracket all day get into a rythm, so I would be suprised if a few didn't have to be cut off, and some left on.

but with 2 brackets, I would be checking with a fine tooth comb before removing it if it was wrongly fitted

imho

#9 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

grind it off and keep your mouth shut :tease:

#10 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:46 PM

This GTR on eBay only got one

#11 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:58 PM

mine only got one :tease:

#12 _ber914_

_ber914_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:03 PM

The story with my 73 S is that it was a special order with all GTR options bar the body work- has chrome strips, no gaurd flutes or blackouts. Supposedly the owner couldnt afford the insurance on a GTR. It has only one bracket.
Robert

#13 _finer70_

_finer70_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:15 PM

The answer surely is simple.

The GTR wheel will not fit into the wheel well , that is why the second bracket was unnecessary. Secondly the wheel needs to lay tilted on its side and the second bracket would prevent this.

So it would never have left the factory with a second bracket.

It should be noted also that a GTR floor mat would not have fitted with the second bracket.

So as much as you might like a vehicle to be a GTR and as mush as you try to rationalise and make justifications; none of that is worth a curse if a thorough investigation of the vehicle is not undertaken by someone that is as expert as is possible to get.

So tuffgong is absolutely right and no arguing and debating will not change the real truth. Seeming to win an argument or debate in the end is no real proof at all.

So good luck I hope you have a winner.

#14 _tuffgong_

_tuffgong_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:16 PM

i uderstand that at the plant some people f..ked up, but im only tryin to help by telling you to look close at any car with these problems, have owned over 27 gtrs and 4 xu-1s but have never come across this problem myself. yes most adilaide cars had a extra handbrake braket, some brizzy cars hade the wrong adr tag stamping, but i still have never seen an extra boot lug.
anyway cheers john

#15 _ber914_

_ber914_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:03 PM

What is the difference between LJ GTR and S wheels? I suppose the fact that my S with GTR running gear only has one bracket is because it had GTR wheels.

Robert

#16 bryanw

bryanw

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:21 AM

Well its settled then, if the gtr wheel wont fit with 2 brackets, then a gtr cant have 2 from the factory.

guy up the road has a 4 door with factory gtr wheels on a LC 70 mod.

13x5"=STD
13x5.5"=GTR, is that right?

first will check his boot, second will try to buy the gtr wheels, as he now has mags.
He asked if I wanted them some time ago, said no as they were not nibbless. which I now know is correct for that yr.

what size rubber was on the LC GTR?

I think I have owned a few XU1's and several GTR's as well, but was a long time ago, and had little idea how to check other than model numbers, if only I knew then what I know now,so thanks to this forum!

#17 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:02 AM

13x5"=STD
13x5.5"=GTR, is that right?

Hi Guys.

No, the standard LC/LJ 6 cyl wheel is 13" x 4.5".

Dr Terry.

#18 bryanw

bryanw

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:10 AM

4.5" forget how skinny those things were.

So checked the mates boot, 2 brackets, and a 13x5.5"? wheel sitting in the correct place, with a tall 175 retread fitted.
stood it up straight and boot hinge still missed tyre just.

maybe a 205 tyre on the rim wont fit?
will double check it is 5.5 when I pick up the rims.

bought rims off him.
has crome trim and hub caps fitted. so std wheel nuts. trim not good.

so was only red used on the centre caps?

checked my boot to realise what I thought was a bead of weld along the edge of the wheel well was in fact sealer.
also looked at my doner car to see the bracket is only stitch welded on, easy to remove, not welded along the edge anyway.

still learning!

#19 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:10 PM

Finer, you're wrong in saying that a GTR rim won't fit in the wheel well, ie upright. It will. In fact a 185/70/13 tyre on a 5.5 inch GTR rim will fit - just.

Bryanw, you're correct - a 205 series tyre on a stock 5.5 inch GTR rim won't allow it to be fitted in the upright position.

The spare can be laid almost flat on the boot floor of an LC or LJ which has both brackets, in almost the same location as it sits for a GTR.

Standard 6 cylinder rims were 4.5 inch with A78L13 tyres. GTRs used 5.5 inch rims and B70H13 tyres.

Ber914, you're possibly right. If a non GTR was ordered with 5.5 inch rims, and it was ordered early enough, maybe the car could have been assembled as per customer order and would not have had the second bracket fitted.

tuffgong, yes I agree - it's a red flag to look closer, but I'm also asking here if anyone else can offer any extra info. It seems one other member may have a GTR with the two brackets fitted. Solid proof of one indicates the possibility of more.

In general, it's not my car, I haven't seen it yet, and I am asking on behalf of someone else who wants to buy it. All other things checked are supposedly 100% GTR.

Getting back to my original question, does anyone have a verified or verifiable GTR with the second bracket fitted?

#20 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

thats a rare gtr with 2 brackets tuffgong is bang on the money he should no with all his fleet. 25 years looking at torries never ever seen a gtr with 2 brackets sorry.bryanw red caps only on lc gtr

#21 bryanw

bryanw

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:57 AM

that clears things up a lot.

which do the black caps belong to? GTS, XU1

looked through the pile of 13" rims that seem to be piling up, found 4 13x5.50"
2 different types, maybe aftermarket.

how common are these 5.5" rims?

#22 _tuffgong_

_tuffgong_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:25 AM

bryanw, black caps belong to the lj gtr or xu-1s.
cheers john

#23 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:17 AM

Brizzy built gtr and S are the same in the boot with 2 backets. And the orig lc gtr redring will fit in the well. The body shells are different in little ways depends on which state their from. Only because i bought a 73LJ 2dr and cut a bit out, and it didn't the lc. Went to Freg's place and cut from a 71lc 4dr still wdifferent. But the 2 brizzy built were the same

#24 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:04 AM

Brizzy built gtr and S are the same in the boot with 2 backets.

:rolleyes: echo! "no mines bris built ONE BRACKET :tease:

bryanw there getting hard to find ! an less your in the gong,s back yard "lol"

but you can still find them on starfire 4 pot vc vb commodores ,,, with the wrong date :huh:

Edited by dave720gtr, 18 May 2007 - 11:10 AM.

#25 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

In fact a 185/70/13 tyre on a 5.5 inch GTR rim will fit - just.

I tried to fit a 175/70R13 upright in the spare wheel well in my 12/73 LJ, and failed...

Tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users