50 replies to this topic

#26 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:46 PM

In fact a 185/70/13 tyre on a 5.5 inch GTR rim will fit - just.

I tried to fit a 175/70R13 upright in the spare wheel well in my 12/73 LJ, and failed...

Tim

Yours had a biff in the side or boot carpet, or anything like that??? a 185 will definitely fit - obviously not dead upright though.

#27 bryanw

bryanw

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:31 PM

thanks dave, figure 2 I have are original, 2 are later .
the ones I am picking up were fitted from the factory, will see monday!

a mate paid $400 for his 4 door LC 6 months ago, with reg, one owner.
well looked after.
lots extras fitted. perfect grill etc. some are luckier than me!

rims are light green, not black ?

#28 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:50 PM

Bryan, LC and LJ GTR rims are very similar to LH/LX standard rims, and are interchangeable, unless you're after 100% originality. They're not that rare - yet. Dunno about the green bit though - definitely not factory.

Sounds like the mate had a good bargain!

#29 _tuffgong_

_tuffgong_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:59 PM

lakeside, without being narsty, the brizzy built lc gtr is not the same as the s model it only has one braket.

chees the gong

#30 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:09 PM

John, the two lc's you seen in my shed are the same in the boot. I cut one off the S model, last weekend and still has the other backet. Go and have another look at your cars, you could be wrong.

i will post a pic of the S, tonight

#31 _finer70_

_finer70_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:00 PM

[QUOTE]Finer, you're wrong in saying that a GTR rim won't fit in the wheel well, ie upright. It will. In fact a 185/70/13 tyre on a 5.5 inch GTR rim will fit - just.[QUOTE]

No I am not wrong. You can put a v8 into a LC/J and it proves nothing.

The last word says it all JUST. The wheel well was never designed for a 5.50JJ13 wheel. Just because you can squeeze it in, easier still if the tyre is flat, proves nothing.

The issue was that bracket arrangement was altered to suit the required diffenence in retention of the larger wheel. That is the point I was trying to make; pity it went over your head.

Yes things went wrong in manufacture in those early days. I have seen the fire wall mounted GTR Belcrank bracket on a S 2 door that was totally unmolested.

But it is a long bow to pull if you expect to prove a GTR is still original by the reliance of mistakes that might have been made at manufacture.

Tuffgong has made the most relevant point in that is further scrutiny would be required before being confident that it is a real GTR.

#32 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:40 PM

lakeside, without being narsty, the brizzy built lc gtr is not the same as the s model it only has one braket.

chees the gong

John, i was wrong, think of another car. The S is an Adel build and this is the one. I know the boot is identical to my old gtr. I remenber read something about the boot a few years ago, and went out the shed to have a look at both.

#33 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

Finer - Um, you are saying that you're not wrong in saying a GTR rim will not fit into the spare wheel well, but you admit that a larger tyre on a GTR rim WILL fit in the spare wheel well??? If they are the sorts of points you're trying to make, sorry mate, but they're going under my shoes, not over my head. :rolleyes:

I'm well aware of what the spare tyre brackets should be - I'm asking if anyone knows of any GTRs where they are not as they should be - simple as that.

Edited by Dangerous, 19 May 2007 - 03:34 PM.

#34 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:28 PM

Maybe a little in a different direction but didn't XU1's have a wider spare wheel well to accomodate the larger rims compared to the GTR's and S/SL's?

I remember this from a "Hottest Torana's" magazine or similar from years ago and even remember comparing my LC GTR with an LC XU1 that was in a caryard years ago and noticing the difference in wheel well size.

#35 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:37 PM

Hey dave my 2 adelaide lc gtr,s have 1 bracket as does my brisbane lj gtr :spoton:

Edited by bullitljv8, 19 May 2007 - 08:39 PM.

#36 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:19 AM

Pete - don't think so, as the major panels around the spare wheel well are common to all Toranas, ie the have the same part number. GTRs and XU-1s also had the same rim width, so if anything they would both be larger in the spare wheel well, not just the XU-1. In any case, the spare wheel in a GTR or an XU-1 should sit flat, not in the spare wheel well.

Bullit - thanks. I've no doubt that at least 99% of GTRs have only one bracket, as they should do, but I'm trying to establish if any had two brackets. Oh, on second thoughts, I think yours are all fakes, so can I buy them cheap ?? :D :<_<:

#37 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:29 PM

Have you had a good look for a rear cut ?or any repairs to the rear
mabe its one of 1% that when throught with two :<_<:

#38 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:03 PM

Got 3/73 GTR body here that TREX cut the front off. 1 bracket.
R

#39 _blkwatch_

_blkwatch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:01 AM

wow been gone or a few days took me a while to read all the post
but want to respond to some comments
about my gtr its 7/71 lc matching tags and body no.s never been removed , colour code blackwatch green all original panels and curently rubbed back to original colour. paint under door cards still original and shiney .

car was confirmed by hg350 over a year ago

now about the spare wheel bracket i have the one on the floor near the well and a threadedhole on the inner panel which i asume is for the spare bracket .

havent had a real good look for panel replacement will do tomorrow,

now before anyone says that this gtr may not be original i would like one of yuz if ever in cowra nsw to stop in and have a look see for me and yourself just call me on 0415745893 Deano (make sure i got a couple of coldies)

i would post pixs but dont no how ( 44 year old still learning) just took me an hour to write this)

But just to get yuz reved up again think it has the two carby brackets also ,,

hey now i now ya thinking moc up but dont say that until one of yas have a look

vin 82911ch202520 will go see what i can do about photos

blkwatch

#40 _tuffgong_

_tuffgong_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:21 AM

blkwatch, just a question for you, when you say that your gtr has the [ threadedhole for the stand up braket to bolt into] do you mean the one up neer the taillights on the inner quarted panel ???, or is it the same has the 4door that lc69gtr has posted a pic of on page 1 ???, and mate with the carby braket thing, most lc gtrs have the both of them brakets, except for the XU-1.

cheers the gong

P.S i cant wait for you answer on question one.

#41 _blkwatch_

_blkwatch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:01 AM

yes tuffgong thats the one it is above the tail light housing/ spare wheel bracket or somthing else????

blkwatch

#42 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:02 PM

blkwatch, just a question for you, when you say that your gtr has the [ threadedhole for the stand up braket to bolt into] do you mean the one up neer the taillights on the inner quarted panel

Good question Tuffgong - I hadn't thought of that one being the one that blkwatch was referring to.

blkwatch, one of the photos in the beginning of this thread shows quite well the two floor mounted brackets that I am referring to.

#43 _blkwatch_

_blkwatch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:17 PM

had a look at the pics mine same as the gtr /sorry for causing such a car-fuffill over spare wheel brackets/ /so what is the threaded hole above the taillight housing for. :huh:

blkwatch

#44 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:02 PM

Hey blkwatch, no problems - we're all just looking for the right answers here :D

The threaded hole is intended to hold a spare wheel clamp - I think it's the same setup as what was used on HK series Holdens, but it requires the spare wheel to sit dead upright, so it's not much good in an LC.

#45 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:56 PM

in regards to above post..
If i stand my LC spare upright the boot won't shut.. I always thought this was because my well is bogged for protection, recuding its depth slightly. They are not supposed to be upright then? I usually just let it rest on the second (larger) bracket. I also found a photo which shows GTR wheel should lay flat, bolted to the small bracket.. with the jack and crap in the hole.
This leads to another question. So if there is a bolt for securing a horizontal laying wheel, and a hook for holding a verticle wheel.. what bolt can be used to secure the angled spare while it rests?
out of curuosity.. how should bathurst xu-1s keep their spare if they don't have the resting bracket nor space to lay it down?

sounds like some oversight from holdens... with a few quick work-arounds.

Edited by smeer, 21 May 2007 - 05:01 PM.

#46 _tuffgong_

_tuffgong_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:07 PM

smeer, the bathurst wheel lays down, has the tank has apart molded into it so the spare wheel can fit, and that hole above the taillights i was refering to in a earlier post is to hold the spare wheel in the standed models witch were only 4.5 inches in thickness.
blkwatch, thanks for that.
dangerous, im not being smart man but it seems like you will need to let your mate know to check this one right out.

cheers john

#47 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,290 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hi all

I thought that the Sprintmaster (being 6") laid completely flat. The following pic is from the LJ handbook.

Bazza

Posted Image

#48 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:56 PM

Hmm, over 60 replies on a spare wheel bracket?.......is there a consensus yet...... :stirpot:

#49 _NRV051_

_NRV051_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:51 AM

Our LJ GTR only has one bracket.

#50 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:39 PM

dangerous, im not being smart man but it seems like you will need to let your mate know to check this one right out.

cheers john

John, no hassle, I know you're not being 'smart' about it - telling this bloke to check lots of little things very thoroughly was the first thing I said to him, before jumping onto the forum to ask others about their knowledge or experiences.

Cheers for the input :spoton:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users