Racing Helmets - suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:57 PM

Howdy,

The last helmet I ever bought was a Stack Hat and somehow I dont think the officials will let me race with it. What sort of a helmet is sufficient? Do I really need to spend $1000 on a Simpson job? Would a second hand helmet be a wise idea? And do I need a full face helmet? What Australain safety standard do I need to comply to? Questions, questions questions.......

Cheers,

T

#2 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:53 PM

I bought mine off ePay for $40.00 + shipping. Open face with a clip on/off visor. In excellent condition and with the right approval number.

Posted Image

I bought this style only because I could remove the visor and be able to hear the car. I've used full face units at the drags and you just can't hear anything.

AS1698 is the standards mark you need.

Posted Image

Edited by CraigA, 15 May 2007 - 04:54 PM.

#3 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:49 PM

$40 !!! you bloody beauty. Off to eBay now to do a search, didnt know they were THAT cheap.

Thanks Craig.

BTW, how do you measure your noggin for the right size?

#4 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:59 PM

Tony,
Just make sure it has the AS-1698 sticker and you are away..any bike shop has them at $49.
R

#5 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:10 PM

Sweet, thanks Rory. That saves about $20 postage. I go for a wander tomorrow lunchtime and pick m'self up a skid lid. Now I just have to decide what pretty colour I will like.......

#6 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:16 PM

Orange to match your number plates :blink:

#7 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:15 PM

$20 to protect your skull. Hmmmmm

#8 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:18 PM

If youve got a $2 head, get a $2 helmet.

#9 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

At the risk of opening a can of worms is there proof a $1500 helmet will protect you better than a $49 helmet?

I ask this as somone who would probably only use a helmet 5 times a year, maybe less. I can't justify $1500 on a helmet.

Obviously if i rode a motorbike and wore the helmet 100 times a year or more, i would find it a better investment...

Steve

#10 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:47 PM

Would a second hand helmet be a wise idea?

I bought a second hand helmet for $180,not a scratch on it and it was worth $400 :spoton:

Used bike shops might sell them, could be an idea to ring them and i've seen some decent lids go on ebay for cheap too.

p.s. go the full face.

#11 _willo_

_willo_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:54 PM

I bought a second hand helmet for $180,not a scratch on it and it was worth $400 :spoton:

it was worth NOTHING do NOT buy a second hander they are a false economy. helmets are designed to take 1 major impact only.. you never know what a used helmet has been through ....whether it is scratched or not is NO indication!!!!

#12 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:59 PM

it was worth NOTHING do NOT buy a second hander they are a false economy. helmets are designed to take 1 major impact only.. you never know what a used helmet has been through ....whether it is scratched or not is NO indication!!!!

I bought it off a mate of mine who sold his bike, it was brand new, 2 weeks old :tease:
But yes i see where your coming from, you'd never know if a used helmet had a hard knock or not.

#13 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

I dont care what anyone says, safety is a huge factor for me. This is why I am saving for a Simpson helemt at the moment.

#14 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

If youve got a $2 head, get a $2 helmet.

It used to be $10 Head...$10 helemet...I invented that slogan for Matich and Bell Helmets in 1745......but we wont go there .
R

#15 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

I dont care what anyone says, safety is a huge factor for me.  This is why I am saving for a Simpson helemt at the moment.

This is my favourite simpson, might get one of these one day

Simpson Bandit
Posted Image
"Welcome to the dark side Master Luke" :spit:

#16 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

I still buy anything with BELL on it....makes me feel safe. :clap:
R

#17 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:26 PM

R

But Rory..Bells are expensive, i said "if you've got a $2 head buy a $2 helmet" :huh: .
haha :tease:

#18 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

More exxy helmets are usually alot lighter and made of stronger materials
If you have a heavy helmet and have a front on collission say while rallying.... into a tree..... the lighter helmet might save you from breaking your neck
Impact on the helmet itself isn't the big issue with tin tops
Buy one that feels comfy but complies to the standards

My old helmet was an open face piece of crap
Now I have a full face cheap one
If I was usuing it alot more regularly I'd buy a much better one

#19 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:57 PM

R

Put a condom on your head...then you'll feel safe. dickhead.

Hahahaha,lmao...sorry R i couldn't help that one lol.

#20 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

Perhaps I could put a stocking on my head and simply "demand" a helmet from a helmet shop?

And where do you get $2 head these days? They're a bit more exy down the Valley (Fitzroy st, Cross, Northbridge etc) these days (why do I know all this stuff???) :<_<:

In all honesty though, I figure if I have a roof and an amount of metal between me and stationary objects then I can compromise on the helmet a bit. If I was riding a bike or bob sleding then yeah, I'd go the whole hog because thats all ya got to protect ya. I will look at the full face option purely to avoid glass cuts if the worst should happen. That black helmet looks rather slick though...... I was thinking of going a white helmet and painting orange flames down the side. Fashion on the drag strip, OMG am I turning metro????

#21 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:55 PM

You only ever really use a helmet once.

#22 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:38 PM

Put a tape measure around the top of your head.....ie where a headband would normally be worn.....on the same plane as the forehead.
60+cm is large/XL, 58....average, <55cm pinhead. Obviously too small and it wont go on, but too large and it will move about in a collision and possibly cause more damage than it ought to.
IMO the best helmet is the one best suits your purpose, if its only to get through a quarter mile event, then perhaps one can put up with it being slightly uncomfortable.....but if you are going to be wearing it for several hours then comfort/fit should be a priority, temperature would be a big consideration if inside a hot car......not as big a concern for motorcyclists. Add weight and vision and hearing into consideration as well, if the helmet fatigues the wearer an incident may be more imminent.

#23 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:27 AM

R

Put a condom on your head...then you'll feel safe. dickhead.

Hahahaha,lmao...sorry R i couldn't help that one lol.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Rolling on the floor pissing in laughter!
Thanks for the medicine :spoton:

#24 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:45 PM

Put a tape measure around the top of your head.....ie where a headband would normally be worn.....on the same plane as the forehead.
60+cm is large/XL, 58....average, <55cm pinhead.

Cheers, thanks for that DA. That will definately help if I order one online :D

#25 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:06 PM

More exxy helmets are usually alot lighter and made of stronger materials
If you have a heavy helmet and have a front on collission say while rallying.... into a tree..... the lighter helmet might save you from breaking your neck
Impact on the helmet itself isn't the big issue with tin tops
Buy one that feels comfy but complies to the standards

My old helmet was an open face piece of crap

Monkey...Get to the back of the line!! SLAP!!!! :gun:

Neil is right..When I was with Matich and we brought the first full face Bells out...we had a lot of broken collarbones from bike racers.. Then Dr Snell advised me thats how he desgined them...instead of stretching the spinal cord and making you a quad...the impact was stopped by your collarbone,,which usually broke...but stopped the stretch...useless bit of info I know but thats how full faces came into being..The rest..as they say...is history...greatest racing invention in personal safety in the last 40 years. :clap:
R

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users