rear demist, alternator wiring

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _greg!thestopsign_

_greg!thestopsign_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:50 PM

whats the best way to go about a rear demister on an lx hatch? i know its a common addition but cant seem to find the info.

and also, where the car is off, the volts light stays on, can this mean my alternator is wired backwards? (guy i bought it off reco'd it) or is there something in the circuit somewhere still wanting to draw power? this happen much?

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:37 PM

I had this problem recently and the alt. warning light wire was on the wrong terminal at the rear of the alt.

#3 _greg!thestopsign_

_greg!thestopsign_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

at the moment, the wire thats a bit higher up and closer to the edge of the alt is going to the battery (positive), and the one further in is running along the block, where does that other wire go?

#4 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

the power to the warning lamps is controlled by the ignition switch, the alternator light typically lights by the lead earthing through the alternator when it is not putting out the required voltage.
Unless your other warning lights are also going its hard to understand how this can be happening. Its possible you have connected the warning lamp lead to a source of 12V on the alternator and the current is going the opposite way through the globe. If this was the case the light would go out when you turn the ignition to the on position......is this what happens?
Re the demister....see if you can get a rear window for a uc hatch....they already have them.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 20 May 2007 - 06:41 PM.

#5 _greg!thestopsign_

_greg!thestopsign_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:07 PM

correct, the light goes off with the ignition on.

as far as i know, there are only two wires which are the ones i described on there.

is the one running along the engine block supposed to earth or does it connect to the warning lamp?

#6 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

The one running along the engine block.....its possibly brown, should be connected to the warning lamp, it will light up the warning lamp if it is earthed through the alternator (with the ignition on).

The terminal that this brown wire connects to on the alternator should have 0V on it when the engine is off, depending on your alternator it may be labelled as 'ind'......possibly a picture might get to the bottom of your problem sooner.

#7 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:51 PM

Does your alt. have an insulated post near the big one from the battery that would need an eye terminal on the wire and nut to fit it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users