Rare Spares plastic trim lc lj

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _hkbathurst_

_hkbathurst_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:21 PM

I just bought a repro Rare Spares lc lj console trim insert for my lc console but the holes dont line up to the originals i understand it comes a whole joined oval shape and youd cut the section out for the manual consoles but how do you make it fit ? do i have to redrill new holes in my Original console which will make it look like swiss cheese ,Has anyone else had the same problem or is it a Boomerang to RSP as it certainly wont line up am i doing anything wrong . Any Suggestions ....HoldenOn :huh:

#2 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:23 PM

I'll move this to the Rare Spares section, as it's a valid concern and you've asked the question in a very reasonable manner! I'm sure that Les or someone from RSP will be able to help you out!

Cheers!

#3 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:46 PM

I have yet to try mine yet.. but I can let you know if I experience similar.

If they mis-align for me, I will remove the pins on the repro trim and use glue of some description. Don't drill your original console!

#4 LC-069

LC-069

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:LC GTR & LX SL

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:20 PM

i bought the rare spares trim for my lj manual console and had no problems fitting it! All the pins lined up ok.
Maybe go to Rare Spares and match it up with another one just in case yours has a defect.

#5 _LC870_

_LC870_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:25 PM

The Rare Spares repo console surround will only suit the moulded plastic console EG. Late LC AND LJ.
It will not suit the LC vinyl covered type as it has a different shape on the surround in the bottom corners.

Edited by LC870, 30 May 2007 - 08:26 PM.

#6 _Toranaman24_

_Toranaman24_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:29 PM

Ive recently bought another auto center console, to replace my shitty condition auto one, and they have different grains/textures and different mounting holes for the silver trim. Is there different ones?

EDIT: ^ i think u just answered my question....

Matt

Edited by Toranaman24, 30 May 2007 - 08:37 PM.

#7 _hkbathurst_

_hkbathurst_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:46 PM

The top mounting holes are the only ones that match up the rest i would have to drill to suit .For the fella that wants to glue i doubt it will do as it is slightly stepped and just gluing the pinless trim would require a super heavy duty glue and weights all over it to make it stick i rekon youd end up with a abortion i wouldnt risk it on a original console.
My car is a 2/70 and was the original console from the few responses ive seen so far there mustve been a change so it looks as if RSP will get a boomerang , and my old one {thank the GMH GOD} i didnt destroy with only 1 crack in the trim will go back in.Would like to hear Les thoughts on what research they did ? HoldenOn

#8 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:29 PM

I just bought a repro Rare Spares lc lj console trim insert for my lc console but the holes dont line up to the originals i understand it comes a whole joined oval shape and youd cut the section out for the manual consoles but how do you make it fit ? do i have to redrill new holes in my Original console which will make it look like swiss cheese ,Has anyone else had the same problem or is it a Boomerang to RSP as it certainly wont line up am i doing anything wrong . Any Suggestions ....HoldenOn :huh:

LC870 has answered the question, we did not realise that they do not fit the vinyl covered LC console sorry for the inconvenience it is fully refundable, if you have any problem with a refund please let me know

#9 _hkbathurst_

_hkbathurst_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:42 PM

Hi Les,
I understand about the refund but its not about the money .What about the lc owners , will you be doing one for the lc then ? i believe you could use the same die but reposition the pins ?? will Rare spares do that and let Members know i believe its important ?? .I was lucky i didnt destroy my old one just broke a few pins. I could only imagine what people would say if they had a new one in one hand and they destroyed their old one getting it off and they belived they had the replacement part next to them and to find it does not fit as it looks like it will fit till you try and align the holes. HoldenOn Dazza

#10 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:12 PM

Hi Les,
I understand about the refund but its not about the money .What about the lc owners , will you be doing one for the lc then ? i believe you could use the same die but reposition the pins ?? will Rare spares do that and let Members know i believe its important ?? .I was lucky i didnt destroy my old one just broke a few pins. I could only imagine what people would say if they had a new one in one hand and they destroyed their old one getting it off and they belived they had the replacement part next to them and to find it does not fit as it looks like it will fit till you try and align the holes. HoldenOn Dazza

How far out are the pins, if they are a far bit we may be able to do somthing with the pins but if they are to close to the existing pins then we would have to make a new die. what I mean is we could make a trim with both sets of pins and cut off the ones that are not needed,. I will try and get a sample of the LC one and see what we can do
Les

#11 _LC870_

_LC870_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:19 PM

As mentioned in my previous post , even if you moved the pins to suit the LC console the rare spares surround will still not fit the early type console due to the bottom curves being different.

#12 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:40 PM

As mentioned in my previous post , even if you moved the pins to suit the LC console the rare spares surround will still not fit the early type console due to the bottom curves being different.

That�s bad news for people with LC consoles because it will be some time before we make a new mould for LC�s maybe 18 mths or more, will an LJ console fit an LC?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users