LX lowered springs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:32 AM

Hey,

The LX hatch has been fitted with pedders lowered springs, but I think the front needs to go one grade lower??

The back is fine as the toranas look good with the nose lower anyway and the drop tank still has to go in.

What do you guys recon??
I think the springs go down 25mm each grade,i.e low, super low, ultra low then bump stops lol.

Posted Image

Posted Image

cheers youngy

#2 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:16 AM

Looks good mate but I would want the car to sit at least 2-3" lower all round, would be super nice, you want the top of the tyre hidden in the guard.

#3 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:17 AM

depends on what u r using it for.

What size tyres r u putting on it?

I like 'em lower, great way of keeping passengers out :spoton:

XXKAZXX

#4 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:20 AM

Hi youngy_11.

I notice that the hatch is still not yet complete.

Delay your decision on springs until after all the glass, the bonnet & all the other stuff are fitted. You will be surprised now much it will drop with the weight of all that stuff added. Also if the springs are new, they will take time to settle & will sit lower again.

If the springs you have fitted are pedders 'lowered' springs the car will sit a lot lower than that, once it is finished & then driven.

Dr Terry.

#5 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:51 PM

Cheers thats some good advice,

Yeah that will be good if they settle in a little more, im in no rush to change but will keep that in mind.

Car is going to be a street car, which i might enter in a few circuit events/club days.

Yeah as i said im not going to lower the back as if its got 150kg with a full tank of juice.

Ill keep my eye on the front an see if it does drop over time.

#6 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:44 PM

It depends if you're after looks or handling.
Generally speaking, to have the front lower than the back your car will oversteer more. It looks like it's sitting fairly level (chassis to ground wise) which will give you more neutral handling.
As far as the springs settling, if they're all fairly new then they will all settle evenly, and to be honest, the difference will be hardly noticable (5mm or so).
But as Dr Terry said, see how it looks when it's all back together, then drive it, ask your mates/girlfriend if it looks cool, get a couple of mates to sit on the front to see what it looks like lower at the front, then make a decision.
Mine sits a little lower than yours but at the same angle, a couple of my mates reckon it looks like the rear springs are rooted or like it has a full tank of fuel, but it handles like it's on rails. B)

#7 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, good info.

The only reason that i want to get it right now is that, once we have gt the engine, tailshaft, gearbox, diff, extractors etc, right we are going to take all te drunning gear and driveline back out while its at the panel beaters.

So it would be much easy to change all the springs at that point instead of when shes finally complete because theres a bit of work involved, compared to when the front end is just sitting on its own.

Have you got any photos of your car, squarepants??

Would like to have a look.

Cheers youngy

#8 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:17 PM

I don't have any digital pics from when it was still on the road, and right now it doesn't have an engine in it, so, short answer - no, sorry.
If I can find a good old photo, then I'll take a picky of that and post it, otherwise you'll have to wait a few weeks until I get it back together, there'll be plenty of pics posted then!

#9 _Bigmac123_99_

_Bigmac123_99_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:58 PM

i have recently fitted pedders 'Sports Ryda" shocks all round, also got lowered springs. im not sure what title mine have i.e Low, super low, but the guy said that with the new shocks and springs that mine is sitting at slr hieght which is the lowest legal height for torana's.
also, one of my teachers at trade school (mechanic) used to own 3 pedders shops, he said that if you lower torana's too much they handle like shit, think he said anything lower then slr heght.
so there ya go, but my opinion. the lower the better! bring it on!

#10 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:15 PM

So it would be much easy to change all the springs at that point instead of when shes finally complete because theres a bit of work involved, compared to when the front end is just sitting on its own.

IMO it is much easier to change the springs with the front end and engine in the car - you use the weight of the car so that you don't need an internal spring compressor.

When you lower a Torana by a spring change more than about an inch you stuff up the roll centres which has a detrimental effect on the handling.

As you lower the car, the front Roll centre heads south below ground and the rear roll centre heads for the heavens and the rear roll centre is already far too high to start with.

M@

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users