#1 Obey 1

Obey 1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

Gday All.
My Starter Motor is starting play up on my 308 Torana?
Every now and then when you hit the starter it sounds as though the starter motor gear isnt engaging with the flywheel.Its as though the pinion is only coming out a lttle and bearly touching the Flywheel causing a rubbing or grinding of teeth noise.It will do it now and then but seems to be getting worse.I pulled out the starter motor and checked the solenoid by connecting it to the Battery using Jumper leads and it seamed to come out perfectly everytime.But once put back in ,the problem is still there.
The teeth on the flywheel seem ok and the teeth on the pinion of the starter are a little worn on the very end.
Does this sound like the solenoid is playing up ??
I am a bit scared it just isnt going to crank one day.Is it easy enough to pull apart and check for worn parts or is it easier to go for a recoed unit (perhaps gear reduction)?
Battery is fine and when engaged the starter cranks the motor no problem.
Any advice welcome
Obey 1

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:44 PM

It it a high pitched metalic zipping type of noise?
Did you turn the engine over and check all the ring gear teeth?

#3 Obey 1

Obey 1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:56 PM

Rodomo..
Yep ..its that high pitched noise ,but No I didnt check all the ring gear Teeth.Im guessing it would be a good idea to check them although I thought the engine stopped in the same place all the Time ??

#4 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:59 PM

When you turn the engine off, the motor will always stop at the point of least overall compression for all the cylinders. This means that on an 8 cylinder car, the crank will always tend to stop at one of four locations on the ring gear, and these are the locations that are always used to crank the engine, which means they wear the most. As Rodomo said, turn the engine over by hand and check all of the ring gear teeth - if one or more spots are really worn, it's probably this one spot that the engine always stops on due to variations in compression, and the teeth in this location might be too far gone.

It could also be a bent armature shaft, which stuffs u the alignment between teh ring gear teeth and starter teeth.

Umm, thinking back, if the starter motor on a red V8 is not really well aligned and spaced, it will have this problem. Are you using the correct attaching bolts, and does the starter sit firmly up against the bell housing?

#5 Obey 1

Obey 1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:08 PM

A far as I know these are the correct bolts.When undone the bolt shafts appear to have a knurled pattern cut into the shaft, and the bolt heads appear to snug down into the starter motor recess.
There was no shims on it , and it just snugs down onto the engine block.when finger tight there isnt a great deal of play in the starter motor either so I didnt think alignment was a big deal.It has only reared its ugly head in the last month or so.When I first put it together the engine cranked every time fine .When you mention the Bellhousing , I am assuming you mean the Flywheel cover which bolts up to the bellhousing.With this on it makes it difficult to see how the starter engages with the flywheel.I fitted this cover after the starter motor ,as I bought this later on in the build after the engine was running and fitted in the car.
Will probably check the teeth on the flywheel tomorrow as it is Origin Night and the car can wait.
What is the best way to align the starter to the ring gear, is there any specific measurements I should be trying to achieve ??

#6 Obey 1

Obey 1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:20 PM

:clap: Dangerous :clap:
Step up and take a BOW...you have hit the Nail on the Head.
I removed the flywheel cover and got someone to crank the engine and it appeared the Pinion was coming out and actually hitting the flywheel stopping the pinion from engaging with the ring gear on the flywheel.The shaft of the starter was turning but the pinion wasn't so the clutch drive inside must be what is making that noise.I removed the starter and shimmed it with a couple of washers and guess what?? Cranks perfectly everytime !! :spoton:

Cheers for your Help..Thats what I love about this Site...
I probably wouldn't have thought of that ,but just a simple suggestion has probably saved me a fortune.
Cheers Again :clap:
Obey 1 :spoton:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users