3 replies to this topic

#1 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:20 PM

I've come across the heads online a bit lately and have made a few enquiries in Adelaide, but no one seems to know anything about them....

I know they are second generation small block chev heads, and they are the next evolution on from the 18 degree style. As far as I know they are whats being used in current NASCAR competition and they are getting some pretty crazy horsepower figures (albeit with fairly high comps) and lots of revs....

here is the link to an ebay sale that I saw:

SB2 Heads

From the sound of it, to make them fit, it will mean using a 2 piece inlet manifold, different extractors, offset roller lifters for the block (standard type) + prolly changing the pistons etc (due to the small chamber size - too high comp)

Given my budget its prob not worth it, but I like to explore all avenues...haha

cheers,

Sam

#2 _seperf_

_seperf_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:26 PM

I've come across the heads online a bit lately and have made a few enquiries in Adelaide, but no one seems to know anything about them....

I know they are second generation small block chev heads, and they are the next evolution on from the 18 degree style. As far as I know they are whats being used in current NASCAR competition and they are getting some pretty crazy horsepower figures (albeit with fairly high comps) and lots of revs....

here is the link to an ebay sale that I saw:

SB2 Heads

From the sound of it, to make them fit, it will mean using a 2 piece inlet manifold, different extractors, offset roller lifters for the block (standard type) + prolly changing the pistons etc (due to the small chamber size - too high comp)

Given my budget its prob not worth it, but I like to explore all avenues...haha

cheers,

Sam

look at the gm performance website that will tell you what you need to know. but in short , big comp 12 and up,high rev's , big dollers (not just for the heads).Street car forget it (the word pig comes to mined) .There are two types sb2 & 2.2

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:40 PM

If your a drag racer and want to go really fast they might be worth doing all the changes
For a streeter I wouldn't bother

I'm going to go with some Edelbrock RPM Performer alloys myself
If I wanted more HP I'd go some Victor Jn's but since I'm just building a sensible 383 streeter I don't need them
I plan to just fit the heads straight up..... no porting. Just maybe some manifold matching and thats all
If you tickle them alitle they will flow pretty good figures I'm told
420hp out of the box will do me though.

#4 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:59 PM

I'm running an Improved Prod race car (circuit racing), and the current chev I have is already running victor jnr's, solid roller cam etc

Already got around 470HP as is, I was just curious... and maybe a little greedy..haha

The impression I am getting is they rev these engines very hard and make big HP (well over 700) but for obvious reasons they require constant rebuilds... and seeing as I dont have a money tree hidden anywhere.. prob not a good idea... :blink:

as i said i was just curious, thanks for the input!! :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users