Low Maintenance Car Batteries

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#26 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:57 PM

I had to buy a battery for the LH today,
got a Bond Ultimate Calcium with added silver fully sealed maintenance free battery for $100.

CCA - 500A
Amp Hours- 60A
Reserve Capacity - 110A
11 Plates

It better be good! :furious:

#27 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:48 PM

Not to mention those rip off old lady corrosion inhibitors. Virtualy a dead trickle short.

RACV MAN

#28 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:58 AM

According to the brochure I have the ES12V700 & the ES12V535(bike batteries) dont have the metal jacket.That ES12V1500 weighs 26.6kg,what a monster lol.

#29 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:44 AM

GTRBOY: Yep mate it is!! I'll never forget busting a gut to get it to sit up onto the diff tunnel where ive got mine mounted!! Thankfully its been alot of years ( and hoping for alot more) before i have to move it again!!

cant be doing much good for my 1/4 times.. but oh well.. least it starts!

Cheers.

#30 turbotrana

turbotrana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:08 PM

Ive got an Optima Yellow top in the boot of the tory. Only reason I used it cause the terminals were always getting encrusted with the white crap and cause the optima is fully sealed it doesnt do this anymore.

But one thing I have noticed with the optima is that it will only charge to max 12.5volts when lead acid battteries seem to charge to around 13.5.

Am I right or have I been drinking too much Cammomile tea

#31 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:55 AM

Your typical "lead acid" ( commonly calcium chloride these days ) charge to 1.2V per cell. This gives you a fully charged state of 14.4 V in theory. I'm not sure what the rate for the Optima and Odessy batteries are.

#32 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:24 PM

The ideal float charge voltage for any battery will be higher than its fully charged no load voltage. As Chopper said, the ideal float charge for a lead acid is around 1.2 vpc, which equates to 14.4 volts (this is usually specified at around 25C ambient, and should be less for higher temps). Most modern alternators will be set to around this or just below, to allow for the higher battery temperatures experienced in an engine bay.

Once the car's turned off though, a fully charged battery voltage will settle to around 12.8 volts in an idle state. It will not stay at the charge voltage

An Optima or Odyssey should sit at around 12.8 volts if it is fully charged, and not connected to anything. Ideally, they should be 'quick' charged at 14.4 to 14.7 volts, and if left attached to a charger, float charged at 13.6 to 13.8 volts. Both types prefer to see a largish inrush current when first being charged, so at all times, a big battery charge or car alternator is preferrable to a small 4 amp toy charger. As a guide, whatever the battery capacity is, this should be the minimum inrush current available (ES12V1000, which has a 46 ah capacity - minimum inrush charge really should be 46 amps).

If anyone wants to really look after batteries in cars that aren't driven often, look around for an old HF radio power supply, and modify it to be a battery charger. They are usually around 10 to 20 amps at 12 to 14 volts (internally adjustable voltage) and because they are a power supply, not a charger, they can supply the very short 40 to 50 amp inrush charge that dry cells like to see. For longer term float chargin, get a 'battery fighter' float charger or similar.

#33 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 06:19 PM

The old CB radio power supply. They kick out 13.8V from memory.

#34 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:27 PM

I have had an Odessey in my hatch for 4 years now, no trouble what so ever. Has no problem starting the big block, and it only weighs 5 lbs. Had eleven plate truck batteries before, but they always shit them selves because the infrequent use of the car.

#35 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:14 AM

Ive got an Optima Yellow top in the boot of the tory. Only reason I used it cause the terminals were always getting encrusted with the white crap and cause the optima is fully sealed it doesnt do this anymore.

But one thing I have noticed with the optima is that it will only charge to max 12.5volts when lead acid battteries seem to charge to around 13.5.

Am I right or have I been drinking too much Cammomile tea

Why did you go with the yellow top? - thats a deep cycle.

I've just brought a red top for the torana as my old one died from being left in a discharged state. Hopefully solved that problem with the new battery and a trickle charger. The optima batteries are supposed to be more resitant to vibration than normal lead acid batteries. I'll be putting one in my cruiser as well when that need a newie. They arnt cheap, $340 for one here, so if it lasts double the time a normal battery does then I suppose its worth it

#36 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:52 AM

Im an electronics engineer, and Ive been working with batteries for many years now, part of my job is actually designing and installing backup power systems. Some of the largest batteries Ive worked with weigh in at well over 300kg, and thats only a 2 volt cell, so a 12v battery weighs nearly 2 tons and will deliver well over 10,000 Amps, definately not toys.

Alot of whats been said regarding batteries and charging is not true.
Firstly a lead-acid cell requires charging to 2.2volts per cell (vpc), not 1.2 vpc(thats for flooded nicads which require charging to 1.7vpc - a totally different battery). Now that 2.2 volts will vary slightly with the battery type, but generally speaking a float voltage is 13.8v for a 12v battery (connected permanently), a vehicle should be slightly higher, 14.2 - 14.4 volts, simply because it requires charging at higher voltages to get it to actually charge.
Another thing is that a car battery rarely gets over 85% state of charge (SOC), simply because an alternator cannot fully charge the battery with its limitations. there are devices mentioned that can increase the SOC to 100%, but it does take time and slightly higher voltages than an alternator will deliver.

Also NEVER disconnect a battery while your engine is running, the alternator needs the battery as a reference for the regulator to work correctly, it can and will deliver much higher voltages if disconnected. Ive seen a 12v alternator put out 40 volts.

A flat battery does NOT require an in-rush of current, that will damage it for sure. they initially require constant voltage with low currents, then constant current with higher voltages, then technically float voltages. An alternator will deliver constant voltage, current will rise as the battery state of charge increases from dead flat. This is very convenient for the battery and an inherent feature of an alternator.

Modern car batteries are made to a price, which is one reason they dont last long. Thinner plates mean more cranking capacity in a given case size, but at a shorter life too. deep cycle batteries have thicker plates which is one reason they can handle deep cycling, thinner plates tend to buckle easier under deep cycling conditions, effectively decreasing the battery life consideraly. same thing applies when placing a car battery on concrete, it will stuff the battery because it stratifies, or takes on the temperature of the concrete at the bottom of the battery, and ambient air temp at the top. this difference in temp within the battery will also buckle the plates, because different metals expand/contract at different rates.

I wouldnt recommend using a power supply as a battery charger, simply because a power supply generally doesnt have a 100% duty cycle. the duty cycle is its ability to deliver power at a given rate. A 100% duty cycle is able to deliver 100% of its rated power 100% of the time, just what you need for a battery charger. Most power supplies have a 75% duty cycle, that is it is able to deliver 75% of its rated power 100% of the time. It will supply 100% power for short periods without any problems though. An example is the old CB radio power supply, a Cb will use more power when transmitting than it will just switched on, so the power demand varies accordingly, and so does the duty cycle. A battery charger demands that 100% power for much longer periods of time than a standard power supply can, and it will obviously fail. So get a proper battery charger. Note that some battery chargers have a 75% and a 100% duty cycle listed, like the Woods chargers for example, so make sure youre getting what you pay for, you dont want to pay for a 40A charger when its only 30A at 100% duty cycle, and 40A at 75% duty cycle.

As for the Odyysey vs optima debate, its really a persoanl thing, both good batteries, but Ive used the Odyssey in the hotrod bercause it fitted in the small space I had. the first one I got died in 10 months, replaced under warranty with absolutely no hesitation, and never had a problem since.

I hope Ive provided some valuable info there, and not confused anyone. If you want more info just ask.

#37 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 01 April 2006 - 05:31 PM

Hotrodder: THANK YOU!!... I'm glad that youve given your time and knowledge on this subject! It's great to hear from someone who actually KNOWS!

All extremely interesting, thanks again!

Tiny.

#38 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:34 PM

same thing applies when placing a car battery on concrete, it will stuff the battery because it stratifies, or takes on the temperature of the concrete at the bottom of the battery, and ambient air temp at the top. this difference in temp within the battery will also buckle the plates, because different metals expand/contract at different rates.

Hotrodder: That puts a different bend on the "battery on concrete" story/myth.
Different metals in a car battery? Thought there were only lead plates, one with a lead oxide outer layer. Is the linear expansion coefficient of the plate with the oxide coating significantly different? and if the battery is seriously discharged does the build up of lead sulphate on one of the plates change its expansion rate too?
I appreciate the potential heat sink ability of a concrete slab, however, the plates of a battery are immersed in electrolyte and this would really make a temperature gradient from top to bottom fairly minimal?

#39 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:00 PM

and if the battery is seriously discharged does the build up of lead sulphate on one of the plates change its expansion rate too?

.....sorry, lack of electron activity in brain,........both plates endure build up of lead sulphate.

#40 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:08 PM

I have had an Odessey in my hatch for 4 years now, no trouble what so ever. Has no problem starting the big block, and it only weighs 5 lbs.

this cant be right???

the lightest odyssey/optima battery i could find was 11kg, or about 25? pounds.

what model have you got there? as i am in the market for a battery...

#41 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:23 AM

Hotrodder: That puts a different bend on the "battery on concrete" story/myth.
Different metals in a car battery? Thought there were only lead plates, one with a lead oxide outer layer.

For a bettery to work there must be two different types of metals, immersed in an electrolyte solution.
The very first battery ever invented was constructed with alternating layers of zinc, blotting paper soaked in salt water, and silver.
A modern automotive battery has plates of pure lead and lead oxide immersed in sulphuric acid, and yes they will expand at different rates.

As for your other point, ever considered how you can still get hot water from your hot water service even though lots of cold water has been added? Its called stratification, where heat rises to the top of the tank and there can be a diference in temperature of up to 30 degrees from top to the bottom. Same applies to a battery, cold on the bottom and warmer at the top, and its DOES make a difference, even a few degrees difference can stuff a car bettery permanently.

#42 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:59 AM

Hotrodder, as far as I understand it, one electrode is coated with lead oxide, it cant be completely lead oxide which as far as I know doesnt form a rigid solid, ie its a powder?. I could find no data on the expansion of lead oxide as a substance itself.
Where are you getting your information on this?, have there been any releases from battery manufacturers that also spell this out?

#43 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

A lot of whats been said regarding batteries and charging is not true.

Hotrodder, a few points of clarification on your posts, my posts and in general, mostly to do with generic battery info vs depleted electrolyte types. I'm not having a go at you or anyone, but this is a thread full of good info, so it needs to be clear about what exactly is being referred to, for the benefit of all. There are significant differences between battery types, so people need to be clear on what information applies to what, and not try to apply a set of data from one battery type to another.

Firstly, yep, you're dead right, 2.2 vpc, not 1.2 - Chopper's mistake (sorry Chopper :rolleyes: ), and my mistake for not picking it up. Actually, to be more correct, around 2.3 volts per cell for a reasonable level of charging, depending on ambient and battery temperature, and 2.2 volts for float, once again depending on ambient and battery temerature. Less for higher temperatures, and a bit more for lower ambients. This is for a generic wet lead acid battery for vehicle or marine applications. Odyssey quotes 14.4 to 14.7 volts (ie 2.4 to 2.45 vpc) for quick charge on their 'dry cells', and 13.6 to 13.8V (ie ~ 2.3vpc) for float charge.

You also said

A flat battery does NOT require an in-rush of current

, which is not correct if you were referring to my post stating 'both types prefer to see a largish inrush current when first being charged'. Odyssey battery charging guidelines recommend an inrush current of not less than 1C, ie if the battery is a 50 AmpHour unit, an inrush current of 50 amps. I wouldn't try that with a generic wet cell car battery though, although it's pretty much what happens if you jump start a flat battery in a car any way. Also, a higher charging current than recommended can be effective in reversing sulphation in a lead acid battery, at the risk of overheating and damaging the (already damaged, due to severe sulphation) battery.

Re thin plates "buckling" with deep cycles, I'm not sure that's the case. As far as I am aware, thin plates are damaged, and in the worst case, 'punched through' by sulphate crystals growing between them due to extended discharge, or too much time spent flat. It's a problem with vehicle batteries because the plates are so close together and relatively thin, so even small crystals can cause damage.

Car batteries on concrete - well, no, I disagree with you entirely. Car batteries and temperature - yes, batteries don't like getting hot. Concrete itself doesn't really have anything to do with it. All batteries should be raised off any surface so that air can circulate around them to help equalise their internal temperatures. That rarely happens for automotive batteries though, so whatever surface the battery is sitting on can play a part in its temperature. I also seriously doubt that stratification will have any effect an a battery as small as a car battery. Large flooded standby batteries yes, but car batteries - no. Depleted electrolyte , AGM, dry cell etc - definitely not.

What I have seen concrete do though is that if it is not entirely level, it can push up the base of the battery. Most wet cell batteries have a 'tray' section at the base, which is intended to catch all of the crap that falls off the plates in normal use, and keep it away from the base of the plates. Push up the base of that tray, and the accumulated crap can contact the bottom of the plates, and cause an internal short circuit. Bye bye battery.

Power supplies as battery chargers. Once again, if you're referring to my post, I specified an old HF radio power supply. Not a CB one. Old HF power supplies are usually capable of 10 to 15 amps constant rating, and 20 to 30 amps peak/intermittent use. All of them have tuneable output voltage, and some of the better ones have internal thermal protection too, which either limits or cuts off power output if the regulator circuitry gets too hot. So, with all that going for it, it makes a very good base for a battery charger. Certainly better than most of the commercially available units for the enthuisiast rather than the professional, without going to big $$.

You mentioned that a modern battery has plates of pure lead and lead oxide. That's not quite correct. Batteries these days have a small amount of antimony added to the lead to make it harder (thus more resistant to plate sagging, vibration damage and punch through damage from sulphate deposits), and the cathode is lead dioxide, not lead oxide. It wouldn't work too well as a battery if it was only lead oxide.

With your failed Odyssey. Was it about 2 to 3 years ago, and did it lose capacity, rather than fail completely? Did the supplier ever get back to you on what had actually failed? The reason I ask is that I had a couple die under those circumstances, and I have heard of others too around the same period, but the supplier refused to comment on whether there was a quality problem. I'm sure there was.

#44 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (myss427 @ Feb 9 2006, 02:27 PM)
I have had an Odessey in my hatch for 4 years now, no trouble what so ever. Has no problem starting the big block, and it only weighs 5 lbs. 

this cant be right???

I agree with you Brett32i, I just went through the selection process for an Optima and 25 lbs was the lightest one I could find.

M@

#45 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:24 AM

You mentioned that a modern battery has plates of pure lead and lead oxide. That's not quite correct. Batteries these days have a small amount of antimony added to the lead to make it harder (thus more resistant to plate sagging, vibration damage and punch through damage from sulphate deposits), and the cathode is lead dioxide, not lead oxide. It wouldn't work too well as a battery if it was only lead oxide.

Thanks Dangerous for your input, always on the money.

Re oxicde: Cant blame Hotrodder for that entirely Dangerous, as I quizzed him using the term "lead oxide", an oversight on my part which I regret.......though referring to lead dioxide as lead oxide is not actually incorrect from a chemical point of view...but should have got it right....
I also quizzed him about the different metals, (thanks for pointing out the amount antimony added to both electrodes?, but gather this will have no effect on the electochemical potential of the cell? and possibly wont change the coefficient of expansion of either electrode)
Hopefully Hotrodder will offer some explanation as to how the two basically lead electrodes will expand at different rates(one with a coating of lead DIoxide)

#46 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:52 AM

Actually, when you get right into the construction of lead acid batteries (and I'm definitely not an expert on batteries), everyone's half right :D

When lead acid batteries are first made (well, this used to be the way they were made back when my brain could still cope with new information), both plates are the same - Lead Oxide, or PbO. Passing a current through the newly constructed battery causes the negative electrode to convert to lead, and the positive electrode to convert to PbO2 (probably not fully, but enough to coat the surfaces of each plate), which sets up the polarity of the battery. Batteries can apparently change their polarity if left flat by reversing the above lead/lead oxide arrangement, but I've never experienced it personally.

The electrochemical potential of the cell is set by the metals/oxides used, so lead acid batteries are pretty much fixed at ~2 volts per cell. Zinc carbon is 1.5 vpc, NiCads around 1.2, etc.

Hotrodder has experience with large scale standby battery backup systems, where the batteries tend to be much larger than car batteries, with very different construction techniques and operational and life cycle requirements. Thermal expansion may be more of an issue in batteries used for that purpose. Also, his knowledge on batteries in general is more likely to be current (oh, bad pun intended :blink: :rockon: ) than mine, which I reckon is more than a tad rusty.

#47 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:53 PM

Ive experienced reverse polarity a few times on large standby batteries, they appear to be running correctly until you put them under load and the polarity changes from +2v to -2v, and that decreases the total battery bank voltage by 4 volts, which can lead to premature power failures. Not common, but I see it about 2 times/year.
I didnt get any feedback from Odyysey as to why my battery failed, it showed signs of minimal capacity, low volts on standby and wouldnt deliver any decent current at all. That was about 3 years ago. No probs with the new one.

Im waiting on the official word from my suppliers as to expansion rates etc on the lead/lead dioxide. And yes it is lead dioxide, I shouldve picked up on that too, but it was 1.20 am, so gimme a break will ya. :ZZZ:

#48 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:43 PM

No break required, hotrodder, it's all good info. :spoton:

Curious with the battery reversal though - can the battery bank still pass a reasonable current with one if its series cells being reversed?

Sounds like your Odyssey met the same early death as mine did. We even had a brand new one still in the cardboard box which failed.

#49 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (myss427 @ Feb 9 2006, 02:27 PM)

I have had an Odessey in my hatch for 4 years now, no trouble what so ever. Has no problem starting the big block, and it only weighs 5 lbs.�

this cant be right???

5 lbs might be an exageration, but its about the size of a large motorcycle battery and I have it mounted on its side in the door footwell under the dash. Its probably 5 kilos but its super light compared with a normal battery.

#50 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:15 PM

Odyssey ES12V500 and 650 only weigh 5.4 and 6.6 kg respectively, with 175 and 245 cold cranking amps. Fine for starting a car which starts easily, but no good for extended cranking, or for cars which have a lot of accessories and high power draw items.

myss427, I'd guess that you're not running big compression or radical cam in your big block, and/or that it fires up very quickly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users