Wakefield Park Supersprint 23/6/07

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:38 PM

I'm racing at Wakefield this weekend.
It is my first sprint, and the toranas first race since the engine/suspension rebuild.

Any one else gonna be there?

#2 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:08 PM

What suspension you running?

Should be fun. That track is mad.

#3 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:41 PM

Kings/ Koni combo.

Yeah, looking forward to it :D

#4 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:19 PM

Weather forecast looks good! :spoton:

#5 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:41 PM

Good luck and have fun.
Hope some one from the forum will be there and put some photos up

#6 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:22 PM

Mate take it easy on the first one..just run around, have fun and learn from the boys..try and tag onto someone a bit quicker than you and the aim is always to keep lowering your times..other than that..have funyou lucky devil! :spoton: :clap:
R

#7 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:50 PM

Well, I'm back & still in 1 piece!... here's the wrap up from the weekend (pictures will hopefully follow!)

Trailered the car down behind the commie on Fri Evening, and stayed the night in Goulburn to make the 7am start at the track a bit easier....

Got up at 6am to get ready - both cars are covered in ice!... driving to the circuit at 6:45am, the temp gauge in the commie says -5deg outside :blink:

get to the circuit, start the Torrie, unload it from the trailer, drive it around to the pit shed, and it stalls..... spent the best part of the next hour trying to restart it! flattened the battery, then flattened the jump starter, so had to bring the commie around and use the jump leads... poured petrol down the carbs... bloody thing just wouldn't go! finally got it going, but had to stay sitting in the car with foot on pedal, otherwise it stalled!
Tried to drive it around to scrutineering, but would stall as soon as I tried to let the clutch out... had to keep the revs up, & finally got there, and once there was some temp in the engine, it was OK.

It was so cold there was actually a thin layer of ice on the chrome door handle INSIDE the car!... not sure if the fuwl lines were frozen or something... I think I may have to hook the chokes on the webers up next time I try to start it in those sorts of temps....

Scrutineering was OK - Tape my magentic number on, tape on headlights, and replace the fuse for the brake lights I didn't know weren't working!

Went out for a few sighting laps after drivers breifing, gradually gaining speed, and the smile on my face getting wider....

Put myslef in the slowest group for the fist session, as I had no previous time, and didn't want to get in the way of the faster guys....
Had to overtake a few guys.. and some hairy moments overtaking a car at the end of the main straight who appeared not to see me coming, and coming around the 'fish-hook' corner, setting myself up for a pass on a Merc, and found an Austin Healy Sprite facing the wrong way!!! Not sure who's eyes were wider - mine of his, but fortunately, managed to avoid him..... Best time for that lot of 4 laps was a 1:22.... by the end of the day my best was a 1:19.9... i think I finished 64th out of 110 entries, so happy with that.... Just unfortunate that I was hopelessy outclassed in my class, up against thing like a BF XR6 Turbo, apparently putting out 460bhp!

The LJ went well - in fact it was awesome - after all the money spent on Engine, gearbox & suspension, I was very happy!... just got to get a limited slip diff sorted... both wheels with traction should be good for a few more seconds.....

Only casualty from the weekend seems to be an exhaust manifold leak (not sure if this was caused by the backfiring when I tried to start the car?), and what I thought was a diff leak, but discovered it was just oil coming out the breather....

My Wife took about 200 odd pics, so hopefully there is some good ones there I will post....

#8 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:21 PM

1:19 is a respectable time!

What top speeds did you crack?

LSD will definitely help.

To put that into perspective a mate of mine in a 2006 Type S integra (dead stock), 1:21.
Modded (Suspension etc.) Skyline (188kw at rears) with pretty old worn tyres 1:18.
Nissan S15 189kw at rears, good tyres, suspension 1:11. :D

#9 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:30 PM

Yep cold starts at WP park are a bastard, this happened to me also about 5 years ago (VC Commo 6cyl Tripple webers) I had to drag the car behind tow car for 2 laps of the pits before it would fire up. My old VC Commo used to do a 1.14.2 and my current beastie does a 1.10.6. and that is still middle of the field in IPRA!! Some of our under 2 litre cars (no turbo) do 1.07's!!
I hope you enjoyed your track time...its a good feeling hey? :spoton:

#10 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:09 PM

I think LSD will make a big difference... and the current dif is a 2.78.....and sway bars may help a bit with traction too...?

Not sure exactly what top speed... was a little too busy at the end of the straight to look! :blink: but I estimate around 150-160kph - was doing around 140 at the start/finish line....

Still some work to do to get the times down, but I was pretty happy with a few seconds improvement... discovered in the last 2 runs that I could hold 3rd gear into turn 2 (rather than going back to second), and run wider on the exit... seemed to drop the time a little on those laps...

was pretty happy to pass an MX5 under power down the straight.... I know from previous experience what pocket rockets they are!

Can't wait to get home & go through the photo's & video.....

#11 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:05 PM

The famous LJ brakes. Squeal Squeal Squeal hahah.

Wish my LJ was reliable enough to take to Wakefield.

Too bad the mx5 trail braked and took you on the inside. =p

LXChev ... 1.10 Thats crazy!

#12 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:47 PM

Actually Jbird, my brakes don't squeal... and I think they work quite well for a standard Torana disk/drum setup......

....and that MX5 did stay behind me! :D

#13 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:55 PM

Sorted through the 180 odd pictures my wife took - I think she did pretty well!
Here's a few of the best....

Posted Image
The Morning Frost

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:19 PM

Nice pice there, glad to hear you had a ball!

Watch out though, its an addictive hobby... :spoton:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users