8 replies to this topic

#1 turbotrana

turbotrana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:31 PM

Originally in my Turbo 202 I had a V8 capacity 3 core (tanks top/bottom) radiator which performed well (from memory). I had to replace it cause old so I replaced it with a 5 core crossflow radiator(commodore style radiator) but it seems to rely more on the fan to keep it cool at idle than the 3 core did.
So by going 5 core I think I went backwards in cooling ability.

Anyone else had similar experience or can suggest a good size crossflow raditor to use.

I've got one of those Volvo fans that everyone says cools well but that bugger nearly draw 30amps from my testing which is a bit too much IMO. Nevertheless it does it job well.

#2 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:08 PM

Do a search, this was discussed previously on the new forum. For some reason, which I've yet to fully get my brain around, 3 core was supposedly better.

#3 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:37 PM

Is the only difference you notice while at idle?
It may well be the actual water holding capacity of the radiator that is a factor here.
Is the 5 core rad noticeably thicker than the 3 core you had? The 3 core may have held more water and had more of a time delay b4 it heated up and your electric fans? had to kick in to cool it down.

#4 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:11 PM

you may have adjusted the thermostat for the fans to a different setting too? Maybe it's not getting hotter, the fans are just kicking in more for that reason?

#5 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:52 PM

Out of curiosity what car did u get the 3 core radiator out of as i am looking for one atm.

TUFF

#6 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:53 PM

kingsies had them from waht i gather. v8 ones are no good cause the water necks are on the wrong side, unless you get a chev rad...

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:05 PM

kingsies had them from waht i gather. v8 ones are no good cause the water necks are on the wrong side, unless you get a chev rad...

You just ask for a HZ taxi rad.

#8 turbotrana

turbotrana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:03 PM

basically the old radiator is a HZ Taxi type one

The 5 core is heaps thicker and tubes are heaps closer together (this may be the problem)

The handpiece on my computer tells me what temp the engine is at and I can program what temp the fans come on. The current radiator is causing me no problems, just that it "seemed" that when I had a 3 core that it may have been doing a better job at cooling

#9 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:04 PM

I saw it on a random search. Type "Desert Cooler" into the search for the other thread. Damn it, I'll do it:-

http://www.gmh-toran...l=desert cooler

Just as well, bit of a bum steer. Some good info here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users