LC Boot lock changing

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:09 PM

i need to replace the boot lock and i cant work it out. ive got a new lock ready to go. the re is strip of metal on the underside of the lock which i cant pull off to get to the lock to remove the retainer pin to remove the lock assemby. Any ideas? i know not the best description.

#2 GTR-1

GTR-1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Car:Phantom Grey 7/71 LC GTR.

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:22 PM

i need to replace the boot lock and i cant work it out. ive got a new lock ready to go. the re is strip of metal on the underside of the lock which i cant pull off to get to the lock to remove the retainer pin to remove the lock assemby. Any ideas? i know not the best description.

Undo the two screws holding the thin piece of metal on the underside of the bootlid.
Pry this piece of metal away from the bootlid (it will only come away... maybe 10mm). You wont be able to remove it completly. The lock should come out.

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

It might be one you have to push up. Not original I don't think.

#4 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:51 PM

Haven't seen any you 'push' to remove but agree with GTR-1's description. It is like a circle cut out of the plate of metal with a slot where the edges of the barrel grip when it is pushed up and screwed in

#5 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:03 PM

thanks for the replies. i removed the two screws and tried to pull off the metal strip but the middle was held down some how which is why i couldnt get it off. the ends of the strip will bend away but not the middle. the metal strip is also held down by double sided tape. i thinks its a replacement boot lock cause my new lock (rare spares) has the same keys.

#6 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:07 PM

Have you still not got this sorted out from the Formal cruise, dickiep?

Tim

#7 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:19 PM

yeah i have been so busy its not even funny. tried a few times and finally busted it today had uni work due, exams, went away etc. uni all week and work all weekend doesnt make much time to play with torries. but have time off to work it out and finish all the work ive been planning while bored at uni. should be a productive set of holidays.

Edited by dickiep, 01 July 2007 - 11:27 PM.

#8 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

Undo the two screws holding the thin piece of metal on the underside of the bootlid.
Pry this piece of metal away from the bootlid (it will only come away... maybe 10mm). You wont be able to remove it completly. The lock should come out.

You sure about not being able to remove it?

When I swaped my boot lids over (after the bingle) I had to change the locks around. I pulled the lock retaining thing completely out.

Steve

#9 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:25 PM

i cant remove it at all. tried heaps hard, my dad had a go aswell, no luck. ill try again today, fingers crossed

#10 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:56 PM

The standard ones have a peice of rubber between the retainer plate and the inside of the bootlid (This is usually pretty far gone when it comes around to changing the lock). They are a pretty tight fit because they have been in there so long.

I think the Rares retainers for the lock are like the doorlocks - like a 'C' shape that you can pull right out but holden's retainer is almost like a keyhole - flat metal with a large hole that a slot joins to from underneath.

Sometimes you can get a flat bladed screwdriver between the rubber and retainer to 'jemmy' it off...

#11 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:23 PM

i still cant get it. ive tried everything. i got between the plate and the rubber with a screw driver and tried jimmying it off, no luck destroyed the rubber. so there is no rubber now. tried pulling the metal strip and that broke one side off. had a pair of mini grips pulling on the lock as i pulled the strip down and also tried pushing in (73LJWhiteSL). Anymore ideas and where is the best place to get a new metal strip? wreckers?

#12 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:39 PM

Maybe take the mechanism out itself? I can't remember if you can do this or not with the lock still in.

With both my cars, i pulled the strip down and it came completely out, with a slot at the top. Mine are 73 cars, so maybe they changed it later from the solid one?

Steve

#13 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:53 PM

It must be 'really' in there dickiep! Don't really know what advice I can give if the retainer won't come out.

#14 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

WD40 and dynamite? :blink:

#15 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:02 PM

Where are you?

#16 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:49 PM

I GOT IT!!!! i got it out with a crowbar screw driver and even that took an effort. the clip looks rough maybe the previous owner made it? i got my mate to make a stainless steel bit with the new retainer clip. thanks guys.

#17 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:11 PM

Glad to hear you got it out mate. :spoton:

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users