• 103 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:52 PM

my old lc gtr went 12.7@109 with 202 manual in street trim

GOT ANY SPECS OF YOUR MOTOR LAKESIDE

#27 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:47 AM

Why are there two Drag lc's on this site?

draglc - Member no. 44
Drag lc - Member no. 88

This has probably been brought up before. I thought A1 had gone back to a 6 cyl!

Anyway, Hayden, sounds like a pretty quick 6 cyl you got there mate, good stuff. If you swap to a mild 308, you'll pull those times with ease. Just had to say it, lol.

#28 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:14 AM

or keep the 6 and hang a turbo of the side and eat mild v8s for lunch.

top work go the 6

#29 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:48 AM

V8 might be the go, till you come to corners!

this thing sound like it would eat a mild v8 anyways.

top work :spoton:

#30 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:34 AM

WOW 12 sec out of an N/A 6 is seriously awesome! Congratulations mate! I bet she sounds tuff as!

#31 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:45 PM

V8 might be the go, till you come to corners!

this thing sound like it would eat a mild v8 anyways.

top work :spoton:

V8 LC/LJ's handle excellent around corners. The steering is pretty light. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

A turbo'd 6 may beat a mild V8 but how much money do you have to spend and how hard do you have to ring a 6 cyl's neck to do it? A decent V8 will be relatively cheap to build and smash 6's whether they are turbo'd or not. If you have $10k+ to spend like the EZE-10S car, then you have a V8 killer. 11.2 sec qtrs can be run by a decent 308 in an LC/LJ.

#32 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

Give me a twisty circuit and id give a mild v8 a run in my 202, and its only mild in itself. Its not just heavy steering its the added body roll, and the lack of traction etc.

std LJ, one with a mild 202, the other with a V8 on a twisty track the 6 would eat it.

and then if you add a sroked 6 with a jzed head, the v8 is gooooooooone.

up the sixes. i flicked over this thread but are there any specs? or is it a bit of a secret?

#33 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:52 PM

"At the end of the day, the V8 (LC) Torana - with its basically stock 308 5.0 litre engine - was demonstrably faster than the race prepared XU-1s at Bathurst ('72 Sports Sedan), consistently lapping more than 4 seconds quicker than the six cylinder Toranas in dry conditions."

The original post in this thread was about straight line speed too. Either way, V8's in LC/LJs are quicker. orangeLJ, get Steve to take you for a spin in his blue LJ and maybe you'll change your mind.

Hayden, Sorry to clutter up your thread with V8 vs. 6 cyl arguments. Your 6 cyl pulling 12's is pretty quick!

#34 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

haha, i was gunna mention steves car but held off, this is the last thing i will say in this thread, als if you want to discuss it we can pm about it.

My old man told steve he would give him a run once his xu-1 is together, with corners of course. Lets just say things wil be very interesting! :stirpot:

#35 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:13 PM

Orange lj have you ever driven a V8 lc/lj ?
Id like to see you and rory on a track :D

Edited by LJ355, 13 July 2007 - 07:24 PM.

#36 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:34 PM

do you know my old man? i rest my case.

#37 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:36 PM

What does that have to do with what i asked you :ZZZ:

Edited by LJ355, 13 July 2007 - 07:41 PM.

#38 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

you said about racing rory, he is a well seasoned driver. no?
and from what you posted all i got was that rory was the major part of the equation not the car. and i was simply stating that my old man is no slouch himself. im not saying he is the be all end all of drivers and cant say he has ever done anything that anyone would really know about (couple track championships in his modified days, few good placings in aus titles (think even a first once), thats speedway stuff, did a bit of circuit stuff before and after that)

this isnt going to get resolved either way, so i think its best it gets dropped and this thread goes back to the original idea.

one fast six.

#39 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

to make 300hp from a 202 cost a shitload, then would have keep it together. Holden reds are 50yr old pieces of crap. orangeLJ, if they built factory v8 lj's, i could see too many people pulling the 8 out to put a red in them, to go racing

#40 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:25 PM

Continue this here:

LC/LJ V8 vs. 6 cyl free for all!

#41 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:55 PM

from what i understand Rorys V8 lc had his ass flogged by Drummetts 6 cylinder LJ at speed on the tweed last year

(3x 6 pack XU1s beat the mighty V8)
we all know theres no subsitite for cubic inches

why do some people need to have a pissing comp?

http://www.speedontw...006results.html

#42 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:17 AM

This argument started as talking about qtr mile times. Somehow it got turned into circuit racing. I don't know the experience of any of these driver's or what their cars actually are but I'm going off information on professional driver's in the era of these cars when the V8 XU-1's were actually built for racing by Harry Firth, etc.

Sorry again to Hayden as this has nothing to do with your thread. I tried to re-direct this line of posts elsewhere but although most have moved their comments over there, somebody still doesn't seem to get it.

#43 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:46 AM

Continue this here:

LC/LJ V8 vs. 6 cyl free for all!

gee didnt read this post and dont really care.

but thumbs up to the fast 6 pack well done keep up the R.N.D and knock a few more tenths off it.

#44 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:57 PM

from what i understand Rorys V8 lc had his ass flogged by Drummetts 6 cylinder LJ at speed on the tweed last year

(3x 6 pack XU1s beat the mighty V8)
we all know theres no subsitite for cubic inches

why do some people need to have a pissing comp?

http://www.speedontw...006results.html

Thanks for that GTRXU1..Bruce happens to be a seasoned rally /circuit race who is out every second weekend for the last 35 years..Ex Qld Rally Champion..NC Historic racer at all circuit minus the west coast...I am driving in my 6th race meeting...Sure, I can whip the arse of you and Bruce and 95%, maybe more, of the people here on a GP bike being an ex racer but I think the point was lost.
As Al said..the V8 LC/J..driven by the same driver on the same day in the same conditions will be always be faster than the 6....the move of the engine mass lower and further rearward creates a centre of gravity that shines in this configeration...it has to be driven on the throttle..the wheelspin can be massive...even with a 2.78 or 3.08 LSD diff. I am more than happy for you to run at Speed on Tweed in Sept against me in your 6 cylinder car.
Lets compare apples to apples and drop the pissing competition.
R

#45 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

thats right your V8 SHOULD be faster than my factory stock standard LJ XU1

Edited by gtr-xu1, 14 July 2007 - 09:18 PM.

#46 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:21 PM

gtr-xu1, scared your wrong

#47 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

what?

#48 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:56 PM

thats right your V8 SHOULD be faster than my factory stock standard LJ XU1

It all comes down to the skill of the drivers and if the driver's are both highly skilled, the V8 will win. The way you're carrying on makes your comments not count for s&*t. Have you actually got anything to say and maybe something to back it up?

#49 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:27 AM

After driving these things in anger for years I must say this and break the myth...XU1s stock handle like shit and are understeering pigs.....period...As Colin Bond said...the only way to drive on of these things fast is on 2 wheels, with about 3 degrees negative camber on the front wheels....if you have a XU1 as a road car and run anywhere new factory wheel alignment you have NO idea how much better it can be...end of history lesson...the weight move with the V8 makes a shitty handling dog into a nice fast predictable handling car, I am still yet to get mine to slide out from under me and trust me I have been trying something fierce!...Probably the best handling pre 75 car I have ever driven..and I did own Don Hollands Group C XU1 straight off the track onto the road in 1976 so reckon I might have an inkling of what I am talking about.
R

#50 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

all you people talking up v8 this and v8 that i would like to say this if we wanted a v8 like 99% of the cars at the strip we would have one but we want to be diffrent and like a challange :clap: ,i know we are no match for a real v8. so if you could please take the argument elsewear that would be great. :gun:

On another note we had our lc at the strip again friday night and ran even faster with a 12.79 @ 105.38 we are now going to put this engine on methanol and try again in a month or so. :spoton:

Thanks Hayden

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users