Full Spools

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _jugs_

_jugs_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:47 PM

Hi all,
just wondering the legalities of a full spool for street use in QLD???????

Thanks Jugs

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:50 PM

Illegal Australia wide.

#3 _jugs_

_jugs_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:39 PM

Ok, there goes that idea, so what about Detroit Lockers or min spools???

thank jugs

#4 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:52 AM

mini spool does the same thing as a full spool just does it a differnt way locks both wheels together

i dont think a detroit is illegal as both wheels arnt locked together all the time but im not 100% sure

#5 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:13 AM

Full spool, mini spool are both illegal for road use in Australia Detroit Locker is classed as a "limited Slip" so is OK for use on Aust. roads.

#6 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:47 PM

Funny how this came up...

About ten years ago I was involved in a court case involving a car, a bus shelter and a locked diff. After pointing out that the ACT Vehicle Inspection Manual did not state anywhere that a locked differential was in fact a reason for a vehicle to be unroadworthy the accused was let off (of only one charge in quite a few). The next year the Manual clearly stated that "locked differentials of any kind are cause for failure of the roadworthy test". Interesting how the law adapts....

Personally I would rather drive a car with a locked differential than one with a "detroit" style locker. Many people, myself included, have been caught out backing off mid corner in the rain and having the locker engage. Unsettling to say the least !

#7 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:36 PM

i thought lockers locked up when the foot went down?

A1

#8 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:10 PM

i heard that lockers have a bit of a funny brain when it comes to backing off etc, i have no idea how it works but it all sounds very complicated! haha This will be an informative post!

#9 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:12 PM

As I have stated on here a few times, detroit lockers lock exactly the same under decelleration as they do acceleration.

You do have a big difference in weight over the back wheels when they lock in accell or decell which makes a fairly big shift in the car's handling.

It does take an adjustment to your driving style when you have a detroit in there.

#10 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:19 PM

I have a detroit locker in my 9", reason being it allows for wheel differentiation around corners (LEGAL, even though its only 1 wheel)

Mates have spools, mini or full its the same thing, constant locked rear axles. Full spool is just a 1 piece centre unit which your gears attach to, mini spool replaces the spider gears inside your centre carrier. Detroit locker locks under TQ and unlocks when the opposite is applied.

I dont plan on driving my car in the rain and if I do get caught out in the rain, I do what I always do and slow down and take extreme caution, especially in our old holdens.

If I get sick of the locker Ill put lsd in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users