antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:41 AM

Hi all,

Let me just start by letting you all know in advance that when it comes to steering setup, geometry etc... I don't have a clue! :fool:

Anyway, I would like to know if using drop stub axles (say the CRS 2" drop axles) what effect, if any, will they have on bump steer?

Oh yeah, just another quick question. If using A9X steering arms (Harrop A9X steering arms) on standard LX disc stub axles, will their use effect bump steer?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

#2 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:52 AM

Using the drop spindles will give you the same amount of bump steer you had originally.
The point of using drop spindles is to avoid the bump steer caused by using lowered springs. With the lowered springs the suspension arm is closer to the bump stop than normal, so going over a bump means that the suspension will hit the bump stop sooner, causing bump steer more often.
The drop spindles will lower the car and maintain the original bump clearance.

James

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:59 AM

I don't know that much about steering geometry myself but isn't bump steer whats induced when the steering changes direction from where you are steering due suspension geometry changing due to changes in altitude in the road and nothing to do with hitting the bump stops?

#4 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:08 AM

^ Yep. Its more to do with toe-in and the way toe-in is effected as the car goes over bumps.

#5 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:03 PM

Cool. So... as I understand, using drop stub axles will not affect bump steer.

Edited by antelopeslr5000, 06 July 2007 - 05:05 PM.

#6 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:15 PM

ALX76 and Rodomo you are correct that is what bumpsteer is and that is the idea of the drop stub axles to lower without changing the bumpsteer.
If CRS have designed them properly, that will be the case, if they ever get them back in stock, I will be able to measure and verify that is in fact the case.

JBM you are also correct that the drop stub axles keep you in the centre of the suspension travel which is a good thing - it's just not called bumpsteer.

M@

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users