What is a Hydra trac?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 _UDLOSE_

_UDLOSE_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:51 PM

Has anyone here had experience with the detroit lock right style centers? They claim they are a fully gear based LSD (not clutches).

Anyone driven on one? Do they put the power down when you stand on it or will they make an arse of you and single leg it? Are they recommended for racing or are they a off road thing?

#27 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:12 PM

^^^^ From what you are asking UDLOSE, that kinda sounds like the True Trac diff centre.

http://www.4wdworld....oit/detroit.htm

And I'd like to know the same thing, are these things any good?

Cheers :D

#28 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:00 PM

With a car like a commodore where they don't suffer anything like the weight transfer issues on the rear end they will work fine as you have similar weight over both rear wheels. With a weight transferring bastard like a Torana, they will be shit and will act much more like an open centre.

Are you talking about the clutch LSD or the Hydratrac acting more like an open centre?

Also can you explain weight transferring, does a V8 Commodore have less than a V8 Torana?

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 28 October 2008 - 07:03 PM.

#29 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:38 AM

he would be referring to the hydra trac acting more like an open centre i think. also torana would have more weight transfer from left to right as the diff is not irs like a commodore.
what happens is you are more likely to break traction in a torana in the first place because the weight transfer will lift one side slightly and therefore lose traction on that side forcing the lsd to come in and out as the weight shifts.
hope that makes sense

#30 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Old topic, but would I be correct in thinking that with a Hydratrac, unlike a normal LSD, when you jack the car and spin one wheel, the other won't spin?

Mine has been chattering it's arse off (basically like a locker). I went to Holden they gave me an additive, but it's still chattered until yesterday morning when there was a loud bang in the back. It's no longer noisey or chattering, but I jacked it and spun a wheel and the other didn't spin. I've never taken any notice before.

#31 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

So I gather no one can tell me for sure? I ran Holden they tried to tell me it was just a normal LSD. Unfortunately most of thier staff were still in nappies 15 years ago when these were new! HSV most of the engineers are retired.

#32 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

Not for sure, but I would guess being a viscous setup it would have to spin one wheel before it engages the other much like a torque converter; most people's complaints with them is that you don't get torque transfer as quickly as a normal limited slip which would back that up...?

#33 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Isn't viscous just a marketing gimmick much like magnatec oil, all LSD's operate in a viscous fluid lol.

#34 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

I guess the actuation/trigger is viscous (or at least hydraulic) but the coupling action itself in a cone or clutch LSD transfers torque via direct drive of the friction of two surfaces (cone against housing or clutch lining against plate). A viscous diff transfers the drive itself via the fluid, in (I'm assuming, may depend on specific application) a similar manner to a torque converter where there is no direct drive. This was a big thing when it first became commonplace in applications like centre diffs on AWD cars, controlling the coupler allowed the drive to be tightened or loosened by electronic control, varying the front/rear drive percentages.

#35 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

The BTR Hydratrak is basically a hydraulic version of the Detroit Truetrac.

The Detroit Truetrac uses worm gears to transfer torque to the wheel with the most grip. The Hydratrak uses a sealed hydraulic coupler to transfer torque to the wheel with the most grip.

This is an article from Perth Street Car Vol 4. No 4 (1997).

Hydratrack.pdf

I remember hearing stories of the Hydratrak overheating if you gave it a hard time.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 22 July 2013 - 10:25 PM.

#36 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

Hydra tractor? :dontknow:

Attached Files

#37 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

Hydra tractor? :dontknow:

I just want one...

#38 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if my diff is working as advertised though. The answer i got back was, "go do a burnout and see if it's working or not'.

#39 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

If one wheel turns and not the other then one would assume the LSD is not functioning.

#40 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

My thoughts were to the contrary that it could well be operating fine, I believe you'll need to get one wheel spinning at a bit of speed before it will engage the other

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users