Posted Image
and afew pics of my uc and HardleyNormal uc hatch
Posted Image
Posted Image
and the 2 racing...
Posted Image
and the time slip
Posted Image

my uc only ran a 17.1 going to get a higher ratio diff and pull of the towbar and
buy anew exhaust instead of the awful sunbird 1 then take it back and see how much quicker it will run :D

#2 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for the pics. Plenty of inspiration there!

#3 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:54 PM

I was the driver of Sarshas car at the drags.. i think it will go quite a bit better with different diff gears, 179hp and 3.08 arnt the best, will change a few things and go back out there, was our first time at the drags :D Was Fun. i was against a 10sec torrie in one race lol it doubled my speed

,nathan

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:17 PM

I've added those details to the register.

#5 _T0rana_

_T0rana_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:31 AM

replaced my diff today :spoton: goes alot harder now

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:52 AM

looks like a few other mods too since I last saw your car... new mags and a better bonnet paint job... glad you guys had fun

#7 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:43 AM

So when is the rematch due?

#8 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:10 AM

go and get yourself some proper car stands instead of jacks or at least put the wheels under the car incase something horrible happens. It would be horrible to loose a torana lover out there. Other than that great work, and lets see the times get less.

#9 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:48 AM

I thought I could see at least one stand on the passengers side rear?

Cheers
Herne

#10 _HardleyNormal_

_HardleyNormal_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:02 AM

Hey Sarsha and Nathan,
Didn't like getting beaten hey LOL. Had to go and get the new diff. LOL

Does that mean i gotta do some work to mine to make sure i stay in front My good ol 202 is pretty gutless at the moment. I think i threw it outta wake in the second drag the other night.. SOme guy in a v8 Ute blew me away then waited for me round the bend to do it all ova again.

Ahh well good luck hope u get the times down. I jsut dont know how Keithy gets such good times.. ahh well

C ya guys
Tim

#11 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:03 AM

Nahh mate they're both jacks. I don't have a problem with using jacks (I personally use axle stands though), but ALWAYS put the wheels or something under the car, that will at least protect the person working underneath it even if it drops and the undercarriage gets damaged.

#12 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:29 PM

i pretty much did the whole diff conversion and no one went under the car without a trolly jack under the diff.... jack was under diff whole time except when this photo was taken, so no need to worry :spoton:

car certainly goes quicker of the mark, just have traction problems now..... No good on highway, sits on 3500-4000 on 100, we only really drive around the city so its all ok :rockon:

cheers,
nathan

#13 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:23 AM

Hey, just noticed the thread (must have been in a rush other times!!)!!

Thats not the best time there guys, what went wrong?? You've got the same car as me, same motor, same carby, bigger cam, and same diff ratio, same gearbox too... Mine does 15.5 @ 85mph. I'd be very interested to know why yours aint as fast... Keep in mind also that my carby has a HUGE flat spot!

I'm on a work computer so i cant see the slips (if you've posted em), can someone tell me what the 60ft times are! If they are any worse than my very sloppy 2.5sec ones, then thats where your problems lie!

17.1.... Whoa, you need to bring them down quick smart! Thats what i was running in my UC with a standard 202 and stromberg!

Just confirming my gear with you

UC Sedan, 179HP, 350 Holley, Electronic Dizzy, MC6 4speed, 3.08:1 Salisbury, XU-1 cam (i believe its a 25/65), Extractors and 2 1/4 exhaust...

What revs did you launch at?? Did you lose traction?? When did you change gears (what rpm)?? I saw the 65mph terminal speed - WE NEED TO WORK ON THIS GUYS!! UC's are the last of the real Holdens, cant be beaten by VN commodore's!!

I'll tell you how i went about it because quite simply im not happy jan!
Launch RPM - 1500
Shift 1st to 2nd - 6300rpm
Shift 2nd to 3rd - 5800rpm
Shift 3rd to 4th - 5800rpm (only just managed to get 4th gear in before i crossed the line @ 145km/h).

Keithy

P.S. I wasnt havin a go at ya, just a joke guys!! Keep me posted with your new times!

Edited by Keithy's_UC, 29 January 2006 - 04:32 AM.

#14 _superlowuc_

_superlowuc_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:59 AM

the more you drag the better you get

keep up the Good work guys!!, I put a sunbird diff in mine and I like it off the mark

cheers antony

#15 _T0rana_

_T0rana_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:33 AM

my engine specs,
179 HP block
original bore, only about 20,000k's since new 30 od years ago
balanced
starfire rods
duralite pistons
30/70 perfomance cam
stage 3 yella terra head
lightened blue flywheel
high volume JP oil pump
350 holley carbie
3core v8 radiator
twin thermo fans
electronic dizzy

since then we have
removed the tow bar,
new diff,
auto meter monster tacho today, i think over reving is abig problem we are losing power in the gearchanges coz we cant see the uc dash tacho and we just randomly shift gears
going to get a sports exhaust soon i think the standed sunbird muffler is restricting it coz its massive and skinny pipes.
rejetting the 350 today and new power valve.
and a proper tune not nathans randomly placeing dizzy :tease:
going back to willowbank in 2weeks hopefuly have those times down after all this

- sarsha

#16 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:31 PM

cant be beaten by VN commodore's!!

You're kidding right? even a 3.8L VN will eat a 202 for breakfast and then spit it out cause it tastes horrible.

Those VN's Go surprisingly hard with very little work done to them, they are not as heavy a car as you might think.

My Mate's VN does a surprisingly good job at keeping up with my worked 308.

#17 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:46 PM

My stocko VN V6 runs 15's with 3.08 diff and 360,000km on the clock. ;)

#18 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:49 PM

Definately get the exhaust done ASAP, that'll be holding things up.

2.25" with a straight through muffler. Retune it AFTER that's been fitted.

#19 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:16 PM

,Jan 29 2006, 01:46 PM] My stocko VN V6 runs 15's with 3.08 diff and 360,000km on the clock. ;)

Can't wait to see how Flamenco's car goes down the quarter mile then :) But I guess that has some serious added weight as well... plenty of traction at least but it might be pretty similar to the VN in mass with all the gear he's stuck in it!

#20 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:47 PM

I reckon I've probably added 100 kilos to it all up -shouldn't be too much of a slug!

#21 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:11 PM

Standard VN autos can see an easy 16.1, the manuals around 15.8... You cant let a VN commy beat you! Its a simple rule!! I will be throwing triples on mine in the next few weeks - hate the driveabilty of a 'supposedly rebuilt' 350 holley... The bloke removed my choke gear and now its choking up! I have no adjustment of my choke, so hence cannot remove the flat spot!

Sarsha - the 179HP block is from an EH - your motor is 41 years old!!

#22 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:35 PM

Standard VN autos can see an easy 16.1, the manuals around 15.8... You cant let a VN commy beat you! Its a simple rule!! I will be throwing triples on mine in the next few weeks - hate the driveabilty of a 'supposedly rebuilt' 350 holley... The bloke removed my choke gear and now its choking up! I have no adjustment of my choke, so hence cannot remove the flat spot!

16.1?
Maybe completely stock with some old guy who isn't racing in the drivers seat.

Throw on decent extractors, exhaust, larger throttle body and say cold air induction, and that 16.1 is a thing well in the past.

#23 _superlowuc_

_superlowuc_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:31 AM

At the end of the day if you a 10 second car Its going to be a V8 or a dohc fuel injected motor not a 179, 186 or a 202.
Not get me wrong I am putting a S%%t load of time and $$$ into a 186 but It will never be a fast as a newer dohc fuel injected motor the tech is so good on the new holden, jap'ers and dare I say Fords that a 35 year old push rod motor will never be able to bet it.

I love Old school cars and motors thats why I am building one anyway I am standing on toes here so do not get me wrong it just my 2 cents,

I am had a few dohc turbo jap'ers but I have gone back to OLD SCHOOL its just got class!!!
you are doing a great Job and keep up the good work

cheers antony
PS I like the paint color

#24 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:02 PM

Doesn't sound like your Holley was built by someone who know's what they are doing... While the triples certainly will be a much better setup, I'd say that you could definately improve on ur current setup with a bit of tweaking.

#25 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:17 PM

just my opinion...

after looking into everything else thats mention above, take a good look at actualy what has been done to the engine, like inspect the head, make sure its a stage 3, not just go on what joe blow down the road said, maybe you allready have checked it out, im unsure ..

change the exhaust and if you dont have exractors, maybe some headers like Xu1 style

As it was stated for the amount of work done its should be quicker..

There are many things that can be done to make it get up and go

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users