how to replace door glass rubbers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:58 PM

I've bought new rubbers for the door glass, you know the ones that stop water running down into the door. Anyway as I have a SLR it has the chrome strips around the window frame. The rubbers from Rare Spares look like they would fit great on an SL but are not the same fitting mechanisim for an SLR due to the chrome strips. I am sure someone on here would have alread done this so instead of me reinventing the wheel I'd best ask for some advice. I did a search but can't find a thread where its been done before. Anyone got an idea on how to make them fit?
Posted Image

#2 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:49 PM

I know Pat aka Yella has replaced them before. May have to email him though. I know they need to be fitted to the chrome strip so you will most likely have to remove the chrome strip in its entirety.

#3 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:03 PM

thanks Craig

#4 _LHcruzn_

_LHcruzn_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:56 AM

Rob i have to ask. What type of green is that on your beast??? sexy as!

#5 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:39 PM

Jade Green, I think I was trying to send photos of it to you the other week. Sorry to steal the thread I don't even know how to work with the ones without the chrome.

#6 _SLRMike_

_SLRMike_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:16 PM

I bought some door window seals from RS many years ago (still not fitted them!)
The outer ones are a screw in type on the SLR. The inner one is a clip in type and just prys out.

As Toranavista said I do think the seal needs to be fitted to the chrome as an assembly and this screws to the door so its kinda a 2 piece setup from memory

I can take the window seal out of a spare door for you if you like and let you know how it all fits?

#7 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:56 PM

Cruzn, Colour is genuine and its Jade Green metallic. If you look on the club website (link in my signature) you will see mine and Ian's which is the same colour but his is not metallic. I'd have to say that really the metallic is the way to go.

Heath if you need pics of it check the club website.

Mike thanks very much for the offer but hold off on pulling one of your spares apart. What I am going to try is to stick the rubber to the strip with that goo they stick windscreens into modern cars with (I know the name but having a mental block) and then put some 1/8th screws in to help hold it.

If it works I'll post a how to for the next time someone has to do one.

Posted Image

#8 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:45 AM

External the whole chrome piece screws in, wind your window down and have a look. You have to pry the other chrome strips off their clips before removing the bottom one, and without damaging the paint, or bending/kinking them (plastic flat blade usually does the trick).

#9 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:56 AM

hi pat and welcome back :D Already got the strips off mate just trying to find a solution

Edited by Rob 5000, 24 July 2007 - 10:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users