Carpet and Insulation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:08 AM

Gday guys.

I was told once by someone that according to the "rule book" that you are supposed to have a carpet in your car for roadworthyness.

I have read through the ADR's from Vicroads and it mentions nothing about this.

I've rung Vicroads and they're not sure, I keep getting mixed answers and most of them are just opinions.

On one hand:
The carpet and expecially the insulation are a hazard for fire. Once the insulation catches fire, like from a faulty wire behind the dash, the stuff keeps on smoldering even when you try to douse it with water and go at it with an extinguisher. When It happens, you have to litteraly reach under and rip it all out with your hands. I've personally experienced this twice with other peoples cars. And dont forget, once it starts to happen, the whole cabin fills up with smoke.
Also the carpet and Insulation absorbs moisture and creates rust in your floor. Pull it up and surprise! surprise! Not to mention it goes moldy and stinks.

On the other hand, this stuff helps to keep temperature in and out of the cabin.

Is it necessary? Or is it just for Luxury? Is there any definite information about this out there?

#2 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:23 AM

i can vouch for the underlay catching on fire! once that starts its hard to stop, then ur car stinks for months. i put new carpet in my car, sprayed the whole floor in tar first, so it wont rust now. dont use underlay under the carpet, its just under my rear seat.

but yeh im pretty sure you have to have carpet in the car to get a roadworthy. question is.. why would you not want to have carpet in your car? if its a race car fair enough, but no carpet is just daggy.?

A1

#3 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:00 AM

I'm pretty sure it can't be...not all cars had carpet in them from new...EH's didn't and I am willing to bet that LC's wouldn't necessarily have it...rubber floor mat might be as good as you get...If they claim its in the book then it shouldn't be to hard for them to show you.

#4 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:13 PM

Even LH-LX and possibly UC? 'S' models only had rubber floor mats. Dad has like some vynil/plasticcy sorta floor material in his Hilux ute but I'm sure lots of commercial vehicles, old vehicles etc even have nothing down there.

I don't think it would be an issue Rick, but you might want to find out before you throw your carpet out (if you haven't already)

A1, the theme of TORANA AMORE's LX is basically the bare minimum and that's why it's in question. He doesn't have anything in there he doesn't need and as you both said, issues with flames, smoldering etc; that may have something to do with him not wanting carpet also.

#5 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:29 PM

yeh i guess, i just cant really see the point of not having carpet, for a race car, or a commercial i understand, why would u want a dirty bit of vinyl or a metal floor? Carpet just makes the car look better! and more comfortable. and in a torana, anything that makes it more comfortable is well worth it!

A1

Edited by draglc, 27 January 2006 - 01:29 PM.

#6 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:00 PM

Yeh, I did rip it out, it stunk and there was dust and shit everywhere and some surface rust on the floor in certian areas. Gonna sand it and paint it with black killrust.

And I weighed it too. The insulation wieghed in at 6Kg and so did the carpet.
Thats up to a 12Kg loss and a clean car. You can expect a 10Kg loss.

Can anyone please provide information to confirm the query?

#7 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:35 PM

The Lotus Elise has no carpet or insulation just a bare aluminium floor carpet is an option.

#8 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:57 PM

Well unless for some absurd reason you have to install carpet or anything if you wanna get a RWC in Victoria, it sounds like you're in the clear, Rick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users