Save the stato, you know you want to!!!

#27 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:08 AM

There is a white HQ stato with elderly owner up the road from me...The car has a Chrome bonnet strip..something I had not seen on a HQ.

Shame it is brown ..but Save The Stato!!!!

Edited by FastEHHolden, 06 August 2007 - 08:09 AM.

#28 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

Its not brown.... its Cognac !!

#29 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:24 AM

Sounds like a new addition to Ritchie Benaud's wardrobe....so many descriptive names for BROWN.

I too drive a brown car...Mission brown house paint...over beige....with a white roof..and primer grey racing stripes.

#30 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

Why couldn't my Grandpa have driven something like that and passed it on to me, rather than an old 2000 MkII Triumph? :(

It looks mint I'm going with the flow and say leave it as GM (and grandpa) intended. :)

#31 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:08 PM

Certainly is a tough one. Go with your gut, you don't really want to cut it up, you're just hoping enough ppl will tell you to so you can override your conscience! haha.

If plausible, I'd say stick it a away in a garage for anothe decade and use it as part of your super plan. Keep looking for another big rig to convert thats not in pristine condition. You want something cool, UC's are never cool, no matter how fast they are going (no offence to the UC boys)

JMO tho, do whatever the hell you want!

#32 _willo_

_willo_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:19 PM

Keep looking for another big rig to convert thats not in pristine condition. You want something cool, UC's are never cool

that's an idea struggler...there is two statos that look pretty unloved sitting on a front lawn not far from where ya found this one (on way to old tip on right hand side) ....go see those fellas and see if you can prise one off them ...one seems to be a daily driver but the other has been sittin there for quite awhile.

#33 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:22 PM

Keep looking for another big rig to convert thats not in pristine condition. You want something cool, UC's are never cool

that's an idea struggler...there is two statos that look pretty unloved sitting on a front lawn not far from where ya found this one (on way to old tip on right hand side) ....go see those fellas and see if you can prise one off them ...one seems to be a daily driver but the other has been sittin there for quite awhile.

Willo, I actually hit those guys up a month or 2 before discovering this one. Thanks for the lead anyway.

Liam, your right, I really don't want to hack into it, and I am looking for reassurance. I don't agree about the UC statement though, UC's are cool !!!

#34 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:26 AM

A quick update, an incident with a fold up engine crane has left the Stato looking a little second hand. Removal of the stick on side mouldings has also uncovered some dodgy repairs and paint up to the moulding. Some spots of surface rust and araldite (to hold on loose mouldings) under the moulds are forcing me to do something. The leaky rear main seal and bleeding/slipping trimatic are not helping.

Edited by Struggler, 06 September 2007 - 09:29 AM.

#35 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:48 AM

Previous owner would be turning in his grave....if he were in a grave. :blink:

(here is where you make me feel bad by saying he died not long ago)

#36 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:39 PM

Hehe ^

Time to pull out the plasma cutter is it Struggler?

#37 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:46 PM

Mate id tidy it up a little and put it away in ure shed just take it out every now and then

#38 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:17 PM

A quick update, an incident with a fold up engine crane has left the Stato looking a little second hand. Removal of the stick on side mouldings has also uncovered some dodgy repairs and paint up to the moulding. Some spots of surface rust and araldite (to hold on loose mouldings) under the moulds are forcing me to do something. The leaky rear main seal and bleeding/slipping trimatic are not helping.

There is the excuse you were looking for.

#39 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:51 PM

Sounds like you'll be doing it a favour by preparing it for the track now

#40 _willo_

_willo_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:28 AM

so, struggler...what did you do????

#41 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:38 AM

Nothing yet, still drying my eyes.

I have removed the windscreen and sill moulds and found some more rust so it looks like it will need a few repairs. I have shown it to a metal magician and he has recommended a full back to metal respray but that is too much work for me. I will probably do the repairs, rub the whole lot back and blow some of the factory colour back over it but I am lacking in motivation a bit right now.

I have secured a 4.44 ten bolt rear, Mmmmm, the rear main and trimatic are still bleeding.

Don't worry, if and when I make a decision details will be posted.

#42 _Adam Perth_

_Adam Perth_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:48 AM

Spend $40 on a good car cover and leave it.

#43 _jake_

_jake_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:20 PM

to tell the truth id rather see it stock as a rock beutiful condition then a 350 chev horsepower beast. being 16 i dont see much good originals, everyone does em up!!!

HOWEVER..... since that terrible incident occured it would be alright to make it a beast. but rember u probs wont get ur money back. my friends bro has like a 680hp XY Ute he wants to sell it for like $65k or something..... not worth it in my eyes.

nyway :rockon:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users