Panhard bar

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _Glens_

_Glens_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:05 PM

G'day all,
Hope someone out there can help. I need to find someone in the Newcastle/Central Coast region, that iether stocks or fabricates adjustable rear panhard bar for Torana running Ford 9 inch. Its for a mate who races and he has been having major drama's when cornering. The rear end is moving/flexing about 10 mm. The vehicle also runs 100 litre drop tank.
Any help would be great, Cheers in advance.
Glen

#2 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:39 PM

http://www.mcdonaldb...hardbarkit.html

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:56 PM

The one pictured would be OK for straight line stuff, but you'll find that it will still move too much for roundy roundy stuff (circuit). Pics below of LXChev366's car. We are doing similar. Long arc, and adjustable mounting height. Still not as good as a .......... brain gone blank, but cheap.

Posted Image

^ from memory connection to the axle was via a 3mm steel plate welded to the back of the trailing arm/shock absorber bracket. EDIT: Ooops it's not, must be another car we looked at!!!

Posted Image

Thanks to Pete in advance.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 09 August 2007 - 08:57 PM.

#4 _Glens_

_Glens_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:57 PM

Thanks ls2lxhatch & Yella SLuR.
The picture of the panhard kit ive posted is this going to work for curcuit racing? or will it require length and height adjustment to work properly? What would you guy's suggest?
Glen

Posted Image

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:08 PM

Height adjustment is nice, but yes, long as possible for circuit. Hopefully Pete will comment on how much movement he is getting with his, it is from one side of the car all the way to the other. No matter how siff the suspension, you still get a bit of body roll on the circuit. Mine sits very flat in normal road use!!!

#6 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:47 PM

You want the bar as long as possible and it should be level when vehicle is at usual weight (fuel load). Too short and/or angled and its like a bump steer effect on the rear end as the suspension travels up and down. Ideal solution is a watts linkage but they are more expensive and you may not have the room to fit one (I didnt).

#7 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:41 AM

^ thanks Howard, Watt's Link is indeed the term I was looking for. I agree, it's all about geometry, and ideally it should sit parallel with the rear axles. Just a hint, have a look at trying to use the Panhard rod off the VS and later commodore B+W diffs. Seems to be a good fit for the Torrie and nice and long.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 10 August 2007 - 05:44 AM.

#8 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:53 AM

Speaking of suspensions, Bose Speakers have develeoped a new suspension system.

http://www.bose.com/...ension.jsp&ck=0

#9 _ZeRtER_

_ZeRtER_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:32 PM

Speaking of suspensions, Bose Speakers have develeoped a new suspension system.

http://www.bose.com/...ension.jsp&ck=0

Ok i want them.. they look awesome if the can really do what they claim..

#10 _Glens_

_Glens_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for the replies/info, I will let you know how we go and post some pic's.
Glen

#11 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

That's an active suspension system. The panhard rod just stops your diff moving side to side (steering).

#12 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:51 AM

Could use a Watts linkage out of a FRAUD, wouldnt be a direct bolt on but could use some parts from it

#13 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:05 PM

^ thanks Howard, Watt's Link is indeed the term I was looking for. I agree, it's all about geometry, and ideally it should sit parallel with the rear axles. Just a hint, have a look at trying to use the Panhard rod off the VS and later commodore B+W diffs. Seems to be a good fit for the Torrie and nice and long.

And R31 Skylines...slip under one for a look and you get my drift.
R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users