Do these Elect Dizzies fit LH/LX ?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:57 PM

Whats a genuine set of leads worth for an elect dizzy - anyone hazzard a guess ?

And an aftermarket/perfomrance set ..

#27 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:56 PM

The old oil filled coils work fine and cool better due to being....oil filled. This can also be a hazard as they can explode when overheated but this is rare.

In this day and age using a HEC 716 is the go, try to mount them away from the motor or at least in some fresh air for cooling as when they get too hot they split and stop working (as can be seen on 6cyl EA-EF falcons).

Buy aftermarket leads from Top Gun, Eagle etc. up to $100.

Personally anything with MSD on it is something I would rather not use. Some people have a lot of success with it though. Other people make a lot of money repairing them. Keep it simple and stick to the Bosch HEI.

JMHO

#28 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:08 PM

Eagle 11mm retailed around $160 a couple of years back.

Struggler, glad you said that, cause that's what I've done, just stuck with the Bosch HEI set up. So far no tears whatsoever. One of the best mods I've ever done.

#29 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:25 PM

Here's another question to those who have done this conversion using the Ford rotor with the standard points cap, and Bosch HEC-716 HEI coil.... what coil lead do you use???? All 8 plug leads stay unchanged obviously, but the coil lead no longer fits (at the coil end)... well it does fit, but not correctly.....

#30 _smokem_

_smokem_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:02 AM

I've got one of the HEI Bosch jobbies sitting in the draw of my tool box, I was thinking about swapping it over for the oil filled one on the car now..... BUT!

On closer inspection of the Bosch one it says " IF YOU ARE RUNNING A MODIFIED IGNITION SYSTEM THEN DO NOT USE THIS COIL ...or your head will explode and monkeys will fly out your butt" Or something along those lines any way.... :spit:

Is this just Bosch covering their ass' or could it mutate into another life form?? :blink:

Any ideas on what voltage the bosch ones are???? Was not writen on my one, the lable is damaged prob right where it says voltage!!!!

And since nobody wants to answer my other post about MSD timing computers... :cry:
I'll ask it in here...Has any one used one before???? If so what are your thoughts on them???

ok rally hatch ive noticed nobody answered the last question u asked :cry:
and i thought id better answer ya :spoton:

NO!!!
i havent used one but if your talkin about the hand held jobbie
thats the one im gettin so im keen on seeing if anyone else has used em aswell :spoton:

#31 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:37 PM

^^ LXCHEV, since the coil/dizzy lead can be a differing length, depending on your set up, you need to fit the fitting yourself. From memory, don't quote me on this, in comes with both a male/female fitting, depending on your application. My coil to dizzy lead would be luck to be 150mm long.

#32 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the feedback Yella.... when you say I need to fit the fitting myself... are you just referring to the rubber boot? (ie. the metal contact stays the same, you just fit the appropriate boot over it?). Sounds sweet if that's the case.

#33 _Lostit_

_Lostit_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:55 PM

Ice Ignition in Melb done all my system nice small and compact, but i guess you pay for what you want.

#34 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:42 PM

Brett, no mate, you get a cable cut off square. You have to cut it to length, configure the end for the fitting (instructions included), crimp the clamp on and fit the heat shrink insulator. Not that hard, and complete instructions are supplied.

Edit: Sorry I can see the Forum, but can't log on or post from work anymores. Big brother is watching.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 14 November 2007 - 05:43 PM.

#35 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:06 PM

Ah HA! Thanks for the explanation Yella.... so custom cable is the go, no stress!!!

Cheers.

#36 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:52 PM

Does the small cap & rotor button fit/work off the late model vn-s efi engines onto these distributors?

#37 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:55 AM

^ dunno sorry. I was told a VK dizzy, so that's what I got.

#38 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

Yella, what intake manifold you running ?

Tried to install mine today but the cap was fouling on a breather at the back of my manifold(Edelbrock Holden Perfomer) so mechanic said it will be OK to use my old cap, and is going to use a holden 6cyl rotar on it. The auto elect in the shed next door has similar set-up on his holden tilly ...

Does this sound OK - or should I opt for the ford one as mentioned previously ?

#39 _mumbo_

_mumbo_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:56 AM

I just fitted one with large cap in 308 with VN heads & harrop manifold just fits :spoton:

#40 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:39 AM

Brett you can always buy another spark plug lead for the coil, the coil end is like a spark plug and standerd on the cap side.

John

#41 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

Bosch Coil, HEC 717 (with the male terminal/post) if using large cap and HEC 716 (female post) if using small standard Holden cap and leads.

Edited by TerrA LX, 24 May 2010 - 07:33 PM.

#42 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:01 AM

A mate bought a new coil for his car not checking properly and got one with a standard style end not the post type. Shops were shut so we improvised and used 2 spark plug ends (unscrewable type off lawnmower plugs) with a bit of thread to hold them together. Ta-Daa! Old coil lead then plugged into the coil. It's still on his car...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users