Crate s/b chev into LH - important info

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _LH350_

_LH350_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:08 AM

Guys,

Just spent the weekend trying to put the new crate engine into the LH. The engine is a 375hp vortec headed s/b from suburban. Screaming Eagle sell similar engines and we have all seen those adds for new chevs from $2900.

Everyone out there needs to know (if they don't already) that s/b chevs can be divided into pre 1986 and post 1986. Those post 1986 (which all these crate engines should be) have a different sump to the old blocks, with the dipstick on the drvier's side. This means that the sump will NOT go into a torana, and all the aftermarket sumps (incluidng hi energy, baffled etc) will not mate up to the newer block. The existing sump needs to be modified.

Although you can buy pre fabricated headers to fit a s/b into the LH/LX beware that the newer vortec heads are slightly different. I bought a set of tri y headers from castle auto electrics but have discovered that the spark plugs - which are not angled, come too close to the headers (the last two plugs on the driver's side). This will mean that the headers will also need to be modified.

For those of you interested in changing gears, please be aware that the new chevs all come with 168 tooth (large) flexplates. All of the manual conversion kits from dellow are designed to mate up to a 153 tooth (small) flywheel, together with a 10" clutch. While one would have thought it would be a simple matter of buying a smaller flywheel, the 153 tooth flywheels do not bolt up to the post 1986 chevs. The 168 tooth flywheel needs to be shaved down and a 153 tooth ringgear atached.

Just thought I shoud mention my trials and errors because between the crate motor sellers and the aftermarket mod sellers there is a real lack of appreciation of these issues. If anyone wants to know more about putting a crate into the LH chances are I have already stuffed something up so please PM me and I will try to assist.

Will post pictures when done.

Cheers

#2 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:00 AM

Sounds like a nightmare! Thanks for sharing the info. It would be disappointing to think the aftermarket sellers knew of the issues but withheld the info. On the otherhand if they dont know i hope they are helping you out to get the info to make customers aware. Hopefully you can feedback this info to them. Send a copy by email and ask for a response to make sure they have at least acknowleged the problem.

Edited by Toranavista, 29 January 2006 - 07:01 AM.

#3 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:44 AM

Yes 1986 up are 1 piece seal where as pre 86 are a 1 piece.

Sounds like a gen3 would of been easier.

The workshop next door to us had the same drama's a few months back, did a vortec swap into a Chevy pickup truck.

Nothing lined up, a lot of stuff needed fabbing up etc, it was ment to be a 1 day job, change engines, the truck was there an extra 5 days.

High energy will swap the dipstick around for you, we had the same problem with my fathers 350 in his HT, had driver side dipstick, sent the pan back, 1 week later it came back modified for driver side dipstick. They can do it.

Do the vortec heads have higher ports or is this just on the inlet?

#4 _seperf_

_seperf_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:14 AM

Guys,

Just spent the weekend trying to put the new crate engine into the LH. The engine is a 375hp vortec headed s/b from suburban. Screaming Eagle sell similar engines and we have all seen those adds for new chevs from $2900.

Everyone out there needs to know (if they don't already) that s/b chevs can be divided into pre 1986 and post 1986. Those post 1986 (which all these crate engines should be) have a different sump to the old blocks, with the dipstick on the drvier's side. This means that the sump will NOT go into a torana, and all the aftermarket sumps (incluidng hi energy, baffled etc) will not mate up to the newer block. The existing sump needs to be modified.

Although you can buy pre fabricated headers to fit a s/b into the LH/LX beware that the newer vortec heads are slightly different. I bought a set of tri y headers from castle auto electrics but have discovered that the spark plugs - which are not angled, come too close to the headers (the last two plugs on the driver's side). This will mean that the headers will also need to be modified.

For those of you interested in changing gears, please be aware that the new chevs all come with 168 tooth (large) flexplates. All of the manual conversion kits from dellow are designed to mate up to a 153 tooth (small) flywheel, together with a 10" clutch. While one would have thought it would be a simple matter of buying a smaller flywheel, the 153 tooth flywheels do not bolt up to the post 1986 chevs. The 168 tooth flywheel needs to be shaved down and a 153 tooth ringgear atached.

Just thought I shoud mention my trials and errors because between the crate motor sellers and the aftermarket mod sellers there is a real lack of appreciation of these issues. If anyone wants to know more about putting a crate into the LH chances are I have already stuffed something up so please PM me and I will try to assist.

Will post pictures when done.

Cheers

I agree 99% the only thing i dont agree with is the headers. sellers and buys should spend that little bit extra time talking about the products that there selling/buying and also the car that is being used .As a seller i like to know as much about the car as possible that way i can plan around the car and what it would need for easyer install.But just remember we are playing with modifyed vehicals, alot if not most of the time they wont just bolt together and that s the fun of it ? lol. Goodluck and hope things go smoother.

#5 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:14 PM

Glad I'm fitting an older Chev to mine then
And Steve seperf is going to sell me the right parts to make it easier for me....... aren't ya Steve ?
Got that bolt kit list yet ?

#6 _seperf_

_seperf_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:46 PM

LOL......... YES and the bolt kit

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users