Photo

AIR SPEED

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#26 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:52 PM

i have the upmost respect for struggler i am certainly not trying to challenge his knowledge. this is just my point of veiw from what i have learnt from over 20 years of playing with engines. :spoton:

No problem 1QUICKLJ, I'm old enough to know there is more than one way to do this stuff, there is no real right or wrong. How I do it is to concentrate the flow across the valve to the spark plug. I only unshroud the intake in the area around the spark plug. This is what works for me (maybe I could be doing it better ?). This does NOT mean this is the only way that is effective.

Its also worth noting that HQ308 heads respond differently to other heads (Ford, Chev etc) to port changes.

i agree struggler we all do it differently, i guess thats what makes these topics so interesting. i agree too the holden heads are totally different to the type of porting and mods required compared to other brand engines. i always enjoy reading your posts on engine stuff mate. ive picked up some good info from your posts. keep em comin. :spoton:

#27 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:38 AM

1QUICK LJ and NOBALLSUC could you advise us, of your ideas, thoughts on the red motor six as far as over porting and valve size.As there are very few standard XU1 heads left, how much is to much? thanks

#28 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:50 PM

i believe the xu1 size valves are all you need as far as valve sizes go ive seen people squeaze bigger valves in there but i have never seen any real gains to be had from my experiences. a big no no is to completely take out the inlet devider as there is more than enough area there seeing as its a simese port and can pull from both sides of the port entrance, the absolute most you want go is put a tube back in the port for the head bolt to go through.
i port the entrance and leave the cast bolt post section in the port, i just narrow it down quite a bit, a major place you can gain airflow is the back shape of the valve heads. the holden head has an old style of shape on the valve heads.
my dad used to race speedway he also used to build speedway engines in the 70s and i always remember him saying that the biggest mistake people made was to go too big on the valves. funny thing was all the guys with the bigger valves couldnt beat my old man. in 1974 he held the track record in his class and for one whole season he never lost a race or an engine. the exhaust port roof can be slightly raised to an almost D shape this helps quite a bit as does carefull work in the valve bowls and narrowing down the guide bosses. the red head is a funny bit of gear and needs a little bit of a different porting method to get it to honk. i have some flow test figures and info somewhere ill dig them up and scan them.

#29 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:45 PM

Some interesting theories & methods popping up so far !!

So true that we all do things differently, yet quite often end up with similar results at the rear wheels.

[QUOTE] revmaniac,- and on a side note quench is sometimes more important than swirl.....but not always....and quench is the clearance between piston and the filled in part of the chamber in the head....helps transfer heat from the piston crown to the cyl head where the coolant can remove it...important in high efficiency engines as combustion pressures are very high,,,

As you mentioned,, Quench & swirl are 2 totally different items.
Swirl occurs with the incoming air into the cylinder, this obtains a greater cylinder fill area.
Quench occurs when the intake valve is closed & is the available compression space left for the fuel to burn in, PERSONALLY, this is where you do extra chamber work to obtain a good efficient flame travel. Agreed that high comp can kill HP as the available "Quench" area is often obstructing the flame travel, hence is slower to burn. That's why some of us will take to the pistons with a die-grinder & modify the flame slot in a dome top piston, as well as extra work in the combustion chamber.

Personal opinion No.2,,
1QUICKLJ,,[/QUOTE] a big no no is to completely take out the inlet devider as there is more than enough area there seeing as its a simese port and can pull from both sides of the port entrance, the absolute most you want go is put a tube back in the port for the head bolt to go through.[/QUOTE]

There are times were this is not the case. Removing the post & countersinking a SHCS into the head can drastically reduce cross pulsing at mid & upper RPM.
In the controlled speedway class of "Sportsmans", i found that with the class rules i made considerable more mid range torque & top end HP & the car needed to have smaller main jet fitted due to the increased air speed & signal at the booster, hence making the carby more efficient.

This maybe just the way that i am modifying the head bolt compared to the way that you have seen it done, it does not mean it is a "no no". As you say, the results are at the track, & i too have the results to back up my engines.

This is a cool thread so far, excellent opinions & different thoughts & theories for us to ponder over.

Craig.

#30 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:34 AM

Thanks this has been a great thread !!!

#31 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:06 AM

Its always good to hear different ideas/opinions on these subjects,the cylinder head is where it all happens and the more you look into it the more complex it becomes when you start thinking of it as working unit regarding air speed in and out of valves at a variety of revs,its also excelent to hear from people who have had the practice and knowledge in these areas of which many of us have not,keep up the good work,as for your request threeblindmice,i think 1quicklj couldnt have put it better,knowing the little that i do based on a bit of theory thats the track i would go down if it were mine,goes along with the KISS principle,from what little i found out the xu1 head apparently had a different head casting than std.Should imagine genuine heads are a bit thin on the ground but even if you dont have original u can always build up non orig as 1quiklj suggested and use xu1 spec cam/carbs/ex.maifolds etc.What 1quicklj suggested to do is almost exaclty what me mate does to his race engines and he held track record for good while too.something about those engineers at fishermans bend isnt there.sure there's always room for improvement but we can only go so far in world of compromize.
good work guys.

#32 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:43 PM

check this out on valve shrouding. http://speedtalk.com...opic.php?t=5623

#33 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:53 PM

52-52.5% of the bore for Wedge heads.
53-53.5% for Canted valve, rotated canted vale (Mopar P/S hemi) and true Hemi.
If you decrease intake exhaust ratio down to 70-71% you can move both intake and exhaust valves over to the exhaust side and increase intake valve size by .5-1%.

If you exceed the ratio in any way, your dead! Anytime you increase valve size over the above stated Valve/Bore ratio you will see a small gain in CFM but the discharge coefficient goes down the toilet and takes your power with it. An over shrouded valve instills a host of nasty scenario's the two worst being decreased discharge coefficient and increased reversion below and above intake tuned power band. So, not only will your peak power suffer the width of your power band will as well. I have a customer over sea's that has been developing a head for 6 years. He got a head cast up with all the modifications necessary for future improvements. He finally got his masterpiece six months ago. To his dismay the head did not run any better than the stock head even though he had .050 bigger valves in it. After a LLOOONNNGGGGGGG phone call about his design it became apparent that the intake valve location was shrouding the intake valve. I told him to cut his exhaust valve down .100 under stock ( .150 diameter less than he had after mods) and relocate them both over so the exhaust was only .065 off the bore wall and the intake was .225 off the bore wall. With no port changes,less compression because he had to butcher the dome to try this, the engine made 67HP more than he had ever seen and turned another 1200rpm. Now this has opened a door he thought was closed. The amount of power he will now be able to extract from this engine will be around 85-90HP more than he could have before. He will now have to cam the engine differently, re design the entire induction system, dome profile, port shapes and a host of other things.

Will an over shrouded valve hurt power? Absolutely!!! 100%, no doubt what so ever. This is written in stone! If someone tells you that valve shrouding is not a factor, shoot them. They are a waste of oxygen and to humanity in general!

Ok, that last point may have been in jest but you get my drift.
1120 Enterprise Place

#34 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:46 PM

Needed to find a place for this Flowbench Design Guide,

and this thread 'AIR SPEED' is perfect.  B)

#35 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:11 PM

I have a similar problem!
I bought 1 of these
http://www.flowperfo...com/system.html

Needed to find a place for this Flowbench Design Guide,

and this thread 'AIR SPEED' is perfect. B)

#36 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:18 PM

Shiit,this thread still exists,don't even remember starting it??

The DYI flow bench looks simple enough in principle to build to get some numbers.

One thing that me ol mate often mentioned was that we are using a constant flow source and even though people have  been 

doing these type of tests for quite some time and have had success with the numbers..are there other factors involved?

Of course they work, but just as a matter of interist ,i would hesitate a guess and say that even though flowing a port with or without a valve inserted will yield some numbers to the better or worse depending on procedure.

For example..if we flow a port/manifold/carb. under constant flow conditions we end up with a number.

This number will be in CFM ,and just say for example a combo flows 153cfm,does this mean that the particular cylinder that the combo.is connected to will make the horsepower equated from the airflow number?

Or, flow/ pressure(speed) would more play a part with what the cam. lobe is doing in respect to what the piston is doing through

the travel cycles of both in respect to each other in order to maintain some sort of flow/air speed?

What the flow bench does is give an indication of flow under the conditions we use them under,but does it really give an indication of

what the combo will flow with a pulsating condition in an engine?

No doubt they work,but i just wonder if the users of them are just not letting on what we might call a " correction factor".?

:dontknow:

#37 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:25 PM

I look at flow capacity as being the foundation on which everything else is built. Without flow capacity everything else - area under the curve, pressure wave activity, mixture motion - is all for naught.

It seems to be fashionable at the moment to argue that flow bench results aren't all that relevant, being that they are steady state whereas a running engine is anything but. And that's horseshit of course, the correlation between flow improvement and hp improvement has been well proven and documented for decades. Anything that helps the numbers on the steady-state flow bench will also help the unsteady flow on the engine. You could argue that a flow bench won't help with pressure wave activity but then that's always been a completely different exercise anyway - one for the dyno or computer.

As far as I'm concerned it's pointless to test a port without the valve; it has an enormous influence. The little six for example will absolutely die in the arse with the wrong valve shape but get it right and it'll pick up several cfm. And the difference between the two valves is so small that it's almost unnoticeable to the eye.

When an engine is flow limited flow improvements will translate almost directly into hp improvements. But that doesn't mean output can be calculated solely from flow - it leaves out too many other important factors. And as the ports become better they become a less influential factor.

Like everything else the fashion in porting swings like a pendulum. In the early days people just opened everything up and hoped for the best. Then flow benches became commonplace and cfm was king - ports became enormous. When it became obvious that some ports were losing performance because they were simply too big the swing towards more efficient, higher velocity ports began, and possibly it swung a little too far. Now it seems that there's a fairly big sweet spot in the middle, and that with a fast, high lift/short duration lobe even a biggish port can work quite well. So I think that while a very high velocity is nice I don't think it's essential so long as it's reasonable and the lobes are compatible.

And of course all this depends on how flow limited the engine is to start with. A little 202 will respond really well to any flow improvement simply because the head is the primary bottleneck. And with the 12 port heads particularly the velocity isn't an issue because you physically can't make the ports too big anyway. A six cylinder Barra on the other hand (or an LS) doesn't have the flow limitations - you'd get much better results with these from leaving the ports alone and just giving it more cam.

So yes, I think the flow bench is still a very useful tool, especially with older head designs.

#38 _datpsi_

_datpsi_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:19 AM

The knowledge from some of you blokes is awesome. .thanks for sharing.

#39 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:54 PM

^^ yah not wrong!

I have no intention of becoming a professional porter as obviously there is large amount of variables to take into consideration!

But for the price of the unit I got im gunna try "improve" a stock blue head for a turbo project I been gunna do for a while!
I have a few heads I can practice on , both 9 & 12 ports!
Even scored a yella terra on a freebie motor & box! 😄
So I'm gunna flow that as is then blend the throat into the bowl as it has no porting other than machining for bigger valves & clean up where the head bolt boss was replaced with a tube.

Will be a very long slow learning curve but I'm in no hurry!

#40 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

Thanks oldjohnno,that explains why a larger duration/lift cam fitted to a small bore engine with the same porting/valve size as a 12 port

six won't make as much as a fast high  lift short duration on smaller cylinder,it killed something somewhere across the range but works better up higher in rpm range and the "curve" is longer/smoother but not as strong through the range.The peakiness seems to have 

moved up in the rev range?..related to the "sweetish range" in terms of flow/air speed/cam?

Ol mate said the same thing...can't see it by eye,was just a touch here and there,could not pick it,was only on an air horn they were playing with.

#41 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:59 PM

Thanks oldjohnno,that explains why a larger duration/lift cam fitted to a small bore engine with the same porting/valve size as a 12 port

six won't make as much as a fast high  lift short duration on smaller cylinder,it killed something somewhere across the range but works better up higher in rpm range and the "curve" is longer/smoother but not as strong through the range.The peakiness seems to have 

moved up in the rev range?..related to the "sweetish range" in terms of flow/air speed/cam?

You bring up a good point - sometimes a longer duration provides a longer window of time for a beneficial pressure wave to make it back to the cylinder. It especially helps to extend the curve past the torque peak. On the other hand, if the manifolding is poorly tuned it may be better to shut the valves quickly with a short duration cam to limit the opportunities for reversion.

#42 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:13 AM

Are these pressure waves also known as sonic waves? I ask this as I have made up expansion chambers for my old Yamaha RD 350. So as the piston in my RD rises, pushing exhaust out, however, the air fuel charge is also being pushed into the cylinder by crank case pressure through the tranferr ports and therefore is also going out the exhaust. Now at this time if there is a wave that returnes back from the reverse cone, down the very end of the chambers, has a force the pushes against the air fuel charge and keeps in in the cylinder untill the piston covers the exhaust port. If my understanding is some what sound, if I were to place cones inside my inlet manifolds (Holden 6) this may create a (sonic wave) that can help force the air fuel charge into the cylinder as the piston comes back up the cylinder while the valve is still open?

Regards

#43 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:58 AM

Yes, they're exactly the same waves that are at work in an expansion chamber. Often incorrectly called sonic or acoustic waves, they are really finite pressure waves. They are formed whenever there is a change in cross sectional area, and the more abrupt the area change the stronger the wave, but on the other hand they only occur over a narrow rpm range. More gentle changes in area (like a cone) give a weaker wave or set of waves but work over a wider range of rpms.

#44 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:49 PM

I have a situation where the inlet side of my manifolds may have been designed for 50mm webers. the outlet of my throttle bodies is 45mm and the inlet is 50mm. So I have a horrible step imediatly at the flange between manifold and throttle body. My thoughts are to machine the manifold to a perfect circle and press machined alloy cones into the manifold runners starting at 45mm to try to create a finite pressure wave that may have an effect on the upward inlet stroke.

Regards

#45 Dave6179

Dave6179

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:HJ, VN, VX SS

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:45 PM

Wouldn't a similar stiuation exist if the head port was slightly larger than the corresponding manifold port? A small... 1mm, step up into the head would create a 'wave barrier' from running back into the manifold. Zorst ports are apparently best with a 1mm step bigger into the manifold to prevent reversion.

Cool thread man!

#46 _Macca97_

_Macca97_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

don't you also want the air to 'swirl' the same direction water flushes down the drain as that is its natural rotational path and would lead to less resistance, as such

#47 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

No, then you get a vortex in the middle.

Tumble and swirl in the combustion chamber on the other hand is nice.

#48 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:07 PM

^ which might explain why the "back" of most intake valves these days are rather "flat" looking as compared to the earlier versions that were "conical" that tended to force the intake charge into a "cone" formation around the head of the valve as the new charge was being pushed in,even though "Smokey" says that it is ideal to have a cone shape charge,  on the hand if it is not fast enough and tends to want to head "straight down...sort of) maybe with a good balance of volume/speed that is why the mix is "nicer" and helps at a higher velocity to spread/sheer it up a bit on the intake.

From another point of view , the exhaust valve "sees" a flat "face" on it's way out , even though it has some pressure up it's arse they reckon an exhaust valve is more efficient than an intake valve , hence they are smaller. :dontknow:

Just throwing ideas around.....unlike the stuff that was flying today, better go pick up a few tools tomorrow.. :)

Edited by EunUCh, 12 March 2015 - 07:08 PM.

#49 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

I have a situation where the inlet side of my manifolds may have been designed for 50mm webers. the outlet of my throttle bodies is 45mm and the inlet is 50mm. So I have a horrible step imediatly at the flange between manifold and throttle body. My thoughts are to machine the manifold to a perfect circle and press machined alloy cones into the manifold runners starting at 45mm to try to create a finite pressure wave that may have an effect on the upward inlet stroke.

Regards

The change in cross sectional area will already be bouncing back a wave. Replacing the step with a taper will return a set of waves that span a longer time period, so if they are doing good things they'll be doing it over a wider rpm range with the taper. But if your inlet tract is correctly dimensioned now then it's unlikely the waves from the area change will be arriving at a point in the cycle where they'll do any good. That doesn't mean you shouldn't blend the two diameters though - a gradual transition will reduce turbulence and help establish flow attachment to the walls, and that will help with bulk flow. Whether it will be enough improvement to feel or measure I don't know.

#50 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:38 PM

Great feed back, thanks. I've noticed that some use an epoxy to fill ports and manifolds with, allthough, I'm not convinced an epoxy would actually stay in a manifold. My step between throttle body and manifold is about 4 to 5 mm so a fair bit to fill in and taper down to a smooth join into the manifold walls.

Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users