Tilt switches

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

some of you know im a ohs coordinator, The other day we had a big peice of plant roll over in the quarry. (pics to come when i go out with the saftey inspection team tomorrow)

Anyway, As a result of the incident all contractors are required to review there ROP systems and submit safe work statements, hazard analysis blah blah to the dpi.

So we have a ride on mower, big unit like councils do footy fields with. I have masterminded a plan to make a device out of a couple of mercury switches to cut the engine if the mower was driven across a slope greater than 20 degrees, to ensure operators could not roll over plant when travelling on inappropriate surfaces.

So my question is to implement this, i would need to run the two switches parralell, mounted to something, on angles. id hook it to the ignition wire, or the seat emergency stop. Then id need a overide button so you could get it started again and back away from the slope.

Is there a better way to do this, And is this achivable?

Cheers

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

I'm thinking your override would need to be a switch you need to hold on or they would just leave it on all the time.

Maybe hit up dick smith...but R32 GTR Nissans have a pair of accelerometers for the 4WD system..They might be worth a shot.

#3 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:51 PM

yeah hold in button i was thinking.

Whats the go with these accelorometers? i know some of the bigger trucks have something similair. no idea what they do

#4 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:06 PM

In the GTR they are used to transfer more drive to the front diff when their voltage goes up...but there would have to be some cheap generic switch

What about a Wii remote? :tease:

#5 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:43 PM

A momentary-type switch hooked up to a relay?

#6 _ljbob_

_ljbob_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE. Then id need a overide button so you could get it started again and back away from the slope.

I don't think you should fit an override button. At lest not one that the operator could use without reporting it.
BoB

#7 _ljbob_

_ljbob_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE. Then id need a overide button so you could get it started again and back away from the slope.

I don't think you should fit an override button. At lest not one that the operator could use without reporting it.
BoB

#8 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:12 AM

Just have a counter for every time the switch needs to have been pressed (one where it has an separate battery so it can't be reset!).

#9 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:04 PM

You need a digital compass, or a digital gyroscope. Very accurate, down to and beyond 1 degree of pitch, roll or yaw. It's probably getting a bit complicated for what you want, but you can buy self contained electronic modules that do this. Some portable 2 way radios even have them built in, so they can be used as an automatic 'man down' if the radio tilts too far over and stays that way.

#10 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:58 PM

Single cylinder engines fitted to staionary water pump motors (eg on farms) have one fitted to shut the motor down in case of tilt. They could probably be adapted and retrofitted?

#11 _revmaniac_

_revmaniac_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:38 PM

im sure some high end car alarms use switches (so 12V) that set the alarm off if tilted too far as some theives just try to drag the car onto a tilt tray and away they go....and also if its a big mower you should research the type of steering and brakes it has....you don't want to cut the ignition if it sends the machine and operator freewheeling out of control down the slope he wasnt spose to be on....some machines have power steering and probably not much in the way of brakes as the transmisions regulate speed so effectively (when the engine is running!!!!)

#12 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:59 PM

Careful with the mercury switch idea, they may be a bit too sensitive causing false alarms from sudden swerves too!

Interestin problem though, Would be good to see how you get around it!

#13 toranamech

toranamech

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:42 PM

as Tiny said the mercury switches would be too sensitive, check with a forlklift manufacturer as they have the same sort of "tilt" problems. I think the switch that you are after is more of a "slow reacting" baffled mercury type switch, or it would cut out on corners etc. The simplest overrides can just reset that needs the ign key to reset it, a bit hard to drive and reset at the same time

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users