- - - - -

QIKSLR Update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:42 AM

Hi guys, I haven't posted anything up in a while. It's kinda been on hold for a while, but I'm getting back into it. I've got a few things going at once with it. Nothing too impressive but its something.

I'm currently rebuilding my front end. For details on that see here.
Posted Image

I've been working on my bug catcher bonnet. I'm building a frame to go around the hole which will be welded and smoothed in. Then I'm getting a sheet off polished stainless steel to cover the underside of the bonnet. Should look good when it's done. I can't stand the look of a dodgy hole cutout where you can see the two skins hanging there and flapping in the breeze:
Posted Image

I've bought some TIG welded sheetmetal rocker covers to suit my VN heads. They look awsome! Theres no holes in them yet. I'll be getting a oil and water (seperated) catch can made up the same size as the battery to sit in the spot where the battery originally did. I'm going to get AN fittings put in the covers and the catch tank and run nice braided lines from them. Should look and work nicely.
Posted Image

I've also been working on the engine bay. I've welded up all the un-used holes and been removing unwanted brackets etc. I'm going to be painting it in a few weeks.

Marty

#2 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:29 PM

Sounds good marty, one thing I still kick myself about is rushing into the paint and panel on my car, it was all painted then I looked at the engine bay and realised I should of welded up all the unnecessary factory holes etc. Being my 1st torana you dont realise the little things til its too late, but 2nd time round should be neater.

Yours looks like its going to come up smick. Keep going with it.

#3 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:16 AM

looks like some nice work is getting carried out, keep us updated.

#4 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:20 AM

What did you use to clean up the subframe like that?

M@

#5 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:43 AM

What did you use to clean up the subframe like that?

M@

Well the first time round I used paint stripper and it did a shithouse job. I painted it in POR15 and it looked terrible. So what I did was I got a wire brush bit for my angle grinder, which works very well. It takes a while to strip it back, but I did have to chew through the POR15, if it was just the original grime it would've come off alot easier.

Michael, I know what your saying there. My original plans were to get the car perfect with everything fitted and worn in and tested, then one day strip it down and paint it. That way I'd know exactly what holes ect I needed. But somewhere along the way it didn't pan out like that. But since the cars been off the road for almost 2 years now I've had a really long time to think about it heheh.

This weekend I'm going down to k-mac to get the bushes for my sway bars. As part of the crossmember rebuild, I've gotta mount the sway bar, but I need the bushes to do it (original ones have disintigrated).

#6 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:56 AM

Its looking good. When you see someone go to that sort of detail when building a car you know the end result is going to be stunning.

#7 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:25 PM

Hey Marty, those Rocker Covers look mint! did u get them custom made? if so how much and do u know if they make them for Std Red Heads?

The just look really Tough and Shiney :spoton:

Also are u keepin the K-Frame all shiney like that? if so r u just puting a clear coat of paint on it to stop surface rust? i like the look of it as it is....

#8 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:15 PM

Hey Marty, those Rocker Covers look mint! did u get them custom made? if so how much and do u know if they make them for Std Red Heads?

The just look really Tough and Shiney :spoton:

Also are u keepin the K-Frame all shiney like that? if so r u just puting a clear coat of paint on it to stop surface rust? i like the look of it as it is....

Thanks dude! I love them, I've been looking for that style for ages. The stocky VN head covers are too slick looking for my old torana. I want to go for the custom tough look. Practically everything else is tig welded sheet metal so they'll be right at home.

Theres a guy on ebay who sells them and he says that he does them for early heads too, but doesn't list them on ebay. The seller id is bocam_cnc.

Nah I've painted the crossmember gloss black, but it does look kinda cool in bare metal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users