Chev Headers

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 _TOBES_

_TOBES_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:19 AM

I know it has been asked a hundred times before but I can't find it...

Does anyone still make a set of headers to fit a small block chev in a LH/LX/UC Torana??????
Have rung around here in NZ and so far have only managed to find a set of 'block huggers'.

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

#2 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:37 AM

Ring around to find out how much for custom made pipes. Its the only way to go. Off the shelf ones are a headache!!

#3 _LH350_

_LH350_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:13 PM

Tobes,

I know of two places that do custom headers (in Australia). Liverpool exhausts sell hurricane headers for $500. Castle Auto Electrics sell custom tri-ys fopr $550. I have just bought the Castle Auto headers but beware.....

All off the shelf headers are designed to fit with certain engine mounts. Castle auto do the engine mounts (from the Castlemaine rod shop) for about $200 including the rubber mounts. However the headers only fit a s/b chev with angled plug heads. I have new vortec heads with straight plugs and two of them foul on the headers. Either need to modify the headers or get shorter plugs.

Good luck and PM me if you are having any issues - chances are I have experienced them as am putting crate 350 into LH with toploader as we speak.

#4 _TOBES_

_TOBES_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:16 PM

Have been asking that question and the quotes range from $1500 up....!!

Just talked to a co in Auckland who can supply Hurricane headers to suit, the only positive answer so far.
Has anyone had any experience with them?
Haver been assured they are good quality, 1 5/8" primaries, 2" outlet and 4 into one...

Still open to suggestions.........

#5 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:57 PM

2" collectors are very small but thats the only way they get the 4 into 1's too work in small space. If you could get 2 1/4" would be better so you can run a twin 2 1/4" exhaust.

Edited by LS1LX, 31 January 2006 - 04:58 PM.

#6 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:55 AM

I have used Outlaw brand pipes before (were available from Performance Warehouse in Nunawading Vic.) and they sound similar to the Hurricanes you are describing. I used to cut the collector down and get it flared out to 2.5" before fitting them. They were painful to fit as the steering shaft went thru the middle of them, worked OK though for a street car.

#7 _TOBES_

_TOBES_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:42 PM

Those 'Outlaws' sound like the same thing. He suggested cutting the collector back to the same size as the rest of the exhaust and also said that the steering shaft went through the middle of the things. Sounds like an engine out job to fit them...

Still the best option I've found so far tho...

Straight plug heads too so Castle Auto's try-y's won't work...

We bought the car last Saturday with a blown trans and have that out for repair. The front half of the exhaust is a real dogs breakfast and would like to tidy that up at the same time so a cheap set of block huggers may have to do....

Still looking..........

#8 _thebigsy_

_thebigsy_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:16 PM

Castle Rod Shops tri-y's fouled on one of my plugs also but I was using angle plug heads.... :huh:

I even used their mounts... :huh:

#9 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:28 PM

I think the brand I had in mine were "Pacemaker"

#10 _chief_

_chief_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:18 PM

I have hurricane headers in my chev LX. They clear everything but are not very good quality. They are 4 into 1 but the collector is inline with the front of the bellhouse and all the pipes are uneven in length. The 2 inch collector pipe runs down past the sump with plenty of clearance. The steering shaft goes through the middle on the drivers side. The bends are press bent and the welds are crappy. They are not worth buying. Pacemaker did make pipes for torana/chev but they had to many call backs because of people using different engine mount adapters and big sumps etc, and the pipes wouldnt clear them.
Mate $1700 for a set of custom pipes is a DAMN GOOD price for a custom set of 4 into 1's. Im in the sydney area and have called 4 well known extractor fabrication shops for a price on 4-1 with 1 7/8 primarys and 3 1/2 collector and 3 were $2500 and 1 was $2200 but would only do it if I put in an engine plate and got rid of the engine mounts. And if you are paying that much you want to get them coated(jethot/hpc) so they last which is another $500.
If anyone knows of a good fabricator that will do them cheaper please email me. [email protected]

#11 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:19 PM

Where do I start...

I've got a SBC in my LX sedan:

#1 - Castle Auto
Originally ran a set of Castle Auto's Tri-Y's (1-5/8 -> 1-3/4 -> 2" coll). It was a tight squeeze fitting them, but once in, they did seem to fit quite well. (Must run a small starter motor). I also have a High Energy sump that wings out at the bottom, and I'm running angled plug heads. These pipes served me well for a year or two, but I wanted bigger pipes. The quality of the pipes was good, however I didn't like certain areas of the design (to clear the steering they flatten off one section heaps), and also some of the pipes drop off the head quite sharply rather than flowing nicely. But all-in-all, nice enough pipes... sold them off though to go bigger....

#2 - Old-stock Pacemakers
I got my hands on a set of of these (no longer made as pointed out above). Each side was made in slip-fit sections in order to actually install them. (1-3/4 -> can't recall sec size -> 2.5" coll i think). Nice looking pipes. Tried to dummy them up on my engine but they wouldn't fit with my sump, not even close. All too hard, so sold them again (couldn't be bothered modifying them)...

#3 - Custom 4-into-1's
As mentioned above, it's very hard to get good sized 4-into-1's to fit at all. I had a set custom-fabricated (mandrel bends) in 1-7/8 -> 3" coll. To achieve this though, they ran a remote mount oil filter to gain more room on the passenger side. And on the driver's side the steering knuckle goes right through the middle. Great pipes, awesome flowing bends, all HPC coated etc. Unleashed heaps more power from my 383. They came up a treat. However my engine is quite mild, and several people told me these pipes were actually too big. The car still went ace, but I probably did sacrifice a little bit of low down torque. They never set up my remote oil lines properly either (they touched the extractors and burnt through after a few months and I lost all my oil!). I couldn't be bothered trying to custom make some proper oil lines that sat off the extractors cos I got real impatient at the time so pulled the pipes out.... Just as I put them up for sale on the old forums, the forums crashed, and I've never advertised them again since, but I might again soon if anyone is interested. They will also come with a twin mandrel bent 3" system (hottest sounding exhaust system I've ever had).....

#4 - Custom Tri-Y's
I wanted to go back to a set of Tri-Y's for maximum low down torque. Custom fabricated (mandrel bends): 1-3/4 -> 2" -> 2.5" coll. Perfect for my combo. These ones were built with a combination of slip-joints and flanges, it's literally a fifteen minute job to install or remove them completely from the car, with engine and everything else in place. Nothing hits, rattles, vibrates etc. I can get to every single spark plug with a standard socket. Easy quick access to the starter motor, now running a standard oil filter again too, Ahhhh simplicity! Unforunately have not had a chance to dyno yet to see how they go power wise.

I used to shudder at the mention of "chev pipes into LH/X" because of my long and complicated history with them! Hahaha, but it's all been fun right?

#12 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:35 PM

Yea i have a chev in an LX - Go the custom ones less headaches and definately get them hpc or jet hot coated

#13 _TOBES_

_TOBES_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:25 AM

Cheers for the superb info guys... Experiences like yours make this forum such a valuable resource...

I did buy a set of the block huggers as the seller said they were a good fit on a 350/UC... Yeah, right!!!
The steering shaft was hard up against the centre of the outlet flange and the passengers side required some savage cutting and a 90' bend.
Back they went!!

With the Pacemakers no longer available and the questionable quality of the Hurricanes it seems like custom is the only way to go.

LXCHEV,
Your current set of Tri-Y's sound like they would be perfect, although in a slightly smaller pipe size. Any chance of a couple of photos?? Would be a big help to see where they are routed and the type of joints used, etc...
I also agree that the Tri-Y configuration is the best for a street car to gain as much power low down as possible. Probably easier to fit into the limited space available too.

I'm almost trmpted to take a shot at building them myself....

#14 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:32 AM

TOBES,

I will take some photos of them this week sometime and post them up for you. I just got them back from HPC and they look mint, so I'll get some happy snaps of them before I put them back in the car.

And once they are fitted back in the car, I'll take some more pics then as well to show you how they are routed.

#15 _TOBES_

_TOBES_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:37 PM

That would be a huge help...! I didn't realise they were out of the car at the moment.
Perfect timing...

#16 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:06 PM

TOBES - I've posted up a whole lot of pics of my new pipes here:

http://www.gmh-toran...?showtopic=3214

Obviously, they don't really give you any idication of where they are routed or how they fit, but still shows the joints and genereal design of them...

#17 _TOBES_

_TOBES_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:27 PM

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!

They are superb looking pipes and a huge help.
I printed them off and took them out to the garage where the UC, Chev installed, sat next to my LX with an empty engine bay. I can see where the pipes go and why...

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so I hope you don't mind if I show them to a couple of potential header builders...?

#18 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:09 PM

By all means mate, no problems! Happy to be of help. Let us know how you go.

Cheers :)

#19 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:13 PM

Let me know if you want pics of 4-into-1's as well. I took a whole lot of pics of my set before I sold them. They were great pipes, big diameter and excellent flowing bends. A tight fit (but we're talking about Torana's here after all). So yeah, if you decided to go for 4-into-1's, I'm sure they would give you some ideas too.

#20 red1a

red1a

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Car:lh torana slr

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:37 AM

Gday LXCHEV top stuff with the set of tri;ys interested in having a set. can ya tell us what and who would take to have them . grats red1a

#21 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:04 AM

red1a - I mentioned it in the other thread, but pipes were built by Exhaust Worx in Bayswater, Vic. The guys name is Les.

Are you in Vic? I can give you his number if you want it.

#22 _kiwiuc_

_kiwiuc_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:35 AM

Hi Tobes - where abouts in NZ are you? I'm trying to do a similar thing at the moment, and I've got a set of the old pacemakers on the garage floor you might be interested in. I trial fitted them, and they go through the K frame (i think that's what it's called?!), and it looked like they were going to foul on the sway bar. A forward mounted sway bar (A9X style) would solve the problem, but I just want to get my car running. So I've also got a set of headers where the steering shaft goes straight through the middle.

Anyway, if you're interested in the pacemakers let me know.

Cheers,

Ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users