Engine bay lips

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:42 AM

I was reading in this post, someone mensioned cutting the lips back for clearance in the engine bay.

I've been thinking about doing this for a long time. But my only concern is are the lips structural?

The three lips are;

- Chassis rail covers. Obvious we are refering to the part that overhangs the actual rail. I'm guessing you would need to run a weld along it afterwards. But will it still be as strong?

- Upper firewall lip. People often make a cuttout in order to run the big dissy. I've seen people remove the whole lip or actually trim it a bit shorter. From what I can see its the one panel.

- Lower firewall lip. I've seen people have trouble with this in engine conversions. This is where the firewall and tunnel join. I wouldn't touch it but perhaps some of it could be trimed or rolled?

The reason I ask is that I'm in the process of prepping my engine bay. A 308 with the big dissy is going in. But I would love to do an engine conversion in the distant future (350, LS1, lexus 4L) ect. So this would aid me later on. I'm not affraid to cut up my car, but I don't want to screw myself over by weakening it to a dangerous level where an engineer would tell me to pull the car off the road.

Edited by QIKSLR, 31 January 2006 - 11:47 AM.

#2 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:11 PM

I understand your concern and I'm now wondering myself. When you look at these lips they do look like they are bonded together, electrically spot welded.

I've seen the engine bay of a mates car who did this to make way for a Big Block Chev. He cut ALL the lips you described and it looked pretty neat too. I dont know what else he did if if he did any reinforcing, welding (don't think so) or any other modifications as I don't know much about the cars history.
What I do know is that it apparently when through a good thrashing when it had the 454 Chev in it and it held together pretty well. This guy is probably one of the first to do this to a Torana, but he's not on the forums. You're best to ask TORANASS about "Kermits Hatch" for more information.

Other than that, you may ony need to shave a small section out of the lip behind the dizzy and shouldnt have to touch the other lips.

#3 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:27 PM

I checked with my engineer before trimming the lip off the rails - yes I had to seam weld them all the way as well but he was happy with that. I didn;t touch the other 2 though.

M@

#4 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:23 PM

:D if this was 2 b done on a ricer would it b plastic surgery?? :tease:

#5 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:08 AM

Cool, thanks for the info mat.

#6 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:11 PM

If you feel under the lip you will see that the top lip is about 10mm longer than the other 2. What I have done in the past is trim the top lip back to match the others, gives a bit more room, doesn't involve welding and looks neat. If you cut the whole lot and square it off you will have to paint under the rail etc and it takes a lot of work to make it look good.

JMO

#7 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:53 PM

I was told about 100 times to trim my rails on the side of the engine for more clearance. 99% of BBC conversions its necessary but for a 308 I wouldnt, I think it looks shit when the lips are trimmed up to the rail as the holes for the x member are no longer centered.

If you need the room trim them if not leave them as is, your not doing it any cosmetic improvements by trimming them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users