Methods to avoid overspray on prepared panels

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:35 PM

I have been applying the acyrlic primer filler today and I have noticed it has been leaving a rather worrysome amount of overspray (dust) on the clean panels I am about to paint over.

I have a feeling this maybe mainly due to the nature of the paint (a filler) rather than my technique, but I thought I'd run it by here just in case. Pete you might be abe to help out here.

The filler is being mixed at roughly 1 part laquer to 1 part thinners, so pretty thin for a filler. The gun PSI is set low at 40psi, the fan is smallish. I also have a fan on a stand as a sort of exhaust fan for the shed, to help suck the evil shit out! The painting as been applied from lowest point to highest point.

Pete can you recommend any changes that might help here? Maybe I should put a bit of retardant in the mix?

Much thanks

#2 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:19 PM

If its warm in the shed were you're spraying then I'd try some retarder ,or wait for the temp to drop, also check the recommended amout of thinners for the primer (sounds like a lot of thinners in your mix to me)

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:29 PM

Think you'll find it should be 1 part filler/primer to 1.5 parts thinners or more. I'd also paint high point to low. I'm yet to give retarder a go, but that might help a bit as well. Sounds like the paint is drying as it's coming out of the gun.

#4 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:33 PM

I wouldnt use any Retarder thinners in your Primer coats at all.

It won't hurt to use a little more thinners in your mix, what size tip are you using in your gun?...a 2.0mm tip should be a minimum for lacquer putty, it does sound a little bit like your adjustments may be a little bit out on your gun, I'd go for a bit larger fan, let plenty of material come through the gun and not be too worried if you get a run here and there as your going to have to block sand the car anyway.

Try and get plenty of paint on the car but make sure you leave enough "flash-off" time (drying) between your coats otherwise you may get shrinkage or other problems.

I take it your priming the whole car, before you start get yourself a plan on how your going to get around it. I usually start at one of the lower rear doors and work my way down one side, over the bonnet/nose/guards, other side, up over the roof, quarter, then boot/rear.

Stand back and have a look at what your going to paint and think what will be best so you dont stop and start etc, The thinners in your mix will melt any dry spray as you go over it so dont be too concerned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users