Stereo won't start since..

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _misszilla_

_misszilla_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:40 PM

I had a few things fixed on my LH today by my Dad's friend, (kickdown part replacement, engine tune up, etc etc..) Except the old fella must have knocked a wire out somewhere because my stereo that was originally connected to the ignition won't start at all anymore.

I had a look around and everything seems to look okay, but then again I'm not a real pro with these things.

Any ideas on what's wrong? Or how I can fix it? Or anyone in brisbane wanna fix it? :P

Any help would be greatly appreciated

#2 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:43 PM

Inline fuse blown to the stereo?

#3 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

Hey misszilla,

Check the ground connection firstly, if that's ok get a test light/multimeter and test you have ignition power and a permanent source of power (two seperate cables). If you have the ground, ignition, and permanent power then it should run correctly.

Cheers,
Rhys.

Edited by lxsl76, 03 October 2007 - 06:45 PM.

#4 _misszilla_

_misszilla_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

The fuses are all okay, so that's not the problem..

Rhys, How would I go about about using a test light/multimeter? The other accessories connected to the ignition (fan, wipers, gauges etc.) all still work correctly. Oh.. and how do I check the ground connection as well? How do I do everything? I'm a bit of a n00b with these things.. ha ha

#5 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:13 PM

First of all get yourself a 12volt test light, or a cheap multimeter, you can get ones for $15 that will do the job, from your local autostore, REPCO etc.
The test light will have a lead attached to it, this one you connect to an earth point on the car, find a bolt that goes into the chassis and clip it to that. Disconnect the plug from the rear of the head unit and find the pin that's connected to the red wire, the red wire usually is powered when the ignition is turned on. Place the end of the screwdriver/test pen to this pin when the ignition is off, the light shouldn't illuminate.
Then turn the key to the ignition/ACC position and the light on the test pen should come on.

Do the same with the pin that's connected to the yellow wire, this is usually supplied from the positive on the battery, therefore will always have power whether on not the ignition is on. As soon as you touch this pin with the test pen the light should come on.

If all this is going ok, follow the black cable from the plug and it will be connected to the chassis somewhere, if the connection seems alright, and the ignition/ACC, and the battery positive wire all have power then you may have a faulty head unit.

Any more questions just ask :)

Rhys.

#6 _misszilla_

_misszilla_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:16 PM

Cheers mate, thanks for that. I'll go and buy a test light/multimeter tomorrow and give it a whirl.

Thanks again! :D

#7 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:47 PM

Knocked the power wire off the back of the fuse panel while changing the kickdown switch?

#8 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:20 AM

Is there slack in the wire loom from the radio to all the connections within the car - not stretched and possibly causing intermittant power?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users