LX pollution gear - ADR27 & A Explained

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:52 AM

Hope one of you can tell me when did holden put polution gear on the torries.Need to know the month and the year as I want to buy a LX but it has to be pre pollution.

#2 _steve_

_steve_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:54 AM

How much and wat condition do u want the LX everything is 4 sale at the right price B)

#3 _355lxss_

_355lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:36 PM

very interested in finding out too.

My ss hatch has a build date of 12/75 so i presume it is pre 76 ADR pollution rules?

Im pretty sure all vehicles built 1 july 76 must comply with ADR pollution rules eg. car must be fitted with a carbon canister which is connected to the fuel tank and induction system. correct me if im wrong?

#4 _steve_

_steve_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:58 PM

mines a March 77 :D

#5 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:25 PM

Yeah,I think all torries pre 6/76 were no polution cars but just want to double check with someone that knows their stuff.I have a 334 strocker which i think is out of a ht/hg holden as the engine number starts with 308H,correct me if i'm wrong and want to put that in a torrie.

#6 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:00 PM

All Vehicles built after 1976 are under ADR27A.

#7 _355lxss_

_355lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:16 PM

All Vehicles built after 1976 are under ADR27A.

does that mean i dont have to the carbon canister on my hatch being 12/75?

#8 _EXLXSL_

_EXLXSL_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:30 PM

Mine is 5/76 and has ADR27 only - that might be the one for the cannister. As said above, ADR27a is the number to look for (and maybe not find). Has a bit more anti pollution gear added.

#9 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:43 PM

The canisters came out on the 75 model LH's, only the 74's had no canister.
76 on got more pollution gear.

#10 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

Charchol cannister arrived Jan 1, 1975. ADR 27A arrived July 1, 1976.

#11 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:21 PM

Well can someone tell me if i can run my 334 stroker with edelbrock manifold and holley 650 double pumper legally in any of the LX's??.The motor was factory HT/HG originally i think so non pollution motor.

#12 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:44 PM

I am pretty sure you have to go with the higher standard and in this case it is the vehicle...you have to comply with the standard the vehicle was built to..ADR27A if after july 76.

If you put a late model commodore engine in your LX it would have to comply with the vehicle the engine came out of.
If you put a HT motor in a Commodore it has to comply with Commodore standards.

If you put VN heads on a LX block it would have to comply with LX standards (ADR27A)

Its a bummer and you may just get away with it but you may just not.

#13 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:48 PM

Lucky for me. 5th month 74.]

cheers
JNR_ATE

#14 _355lxss_

_355lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:09 AM

this might help
Regency Park Bulletin for mods

#15 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

Lucky for me. 5th month 74.]

cheers
JNR_ATE

luckier me..... 4/74 - one of the first slrs made.

they started releasing carbon canisters on cars in 75 BUT....

anything before 6/76 may be FULLY PRE POLLUTION, thats the requirements in the books even though cars before that time started having pollution gear.

R Ant. :furious:

#16 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:45 AM

Hi Guys.

This question has many answers & so far Chopper is the closest.

The 2 levels of anti-pollution gear mentioned on the Compliance plates of Toranas are ADR27 & ADR27A.

ADR27 was 'phased in' during Sept 1973, yes, no mis-type, 1973 during the HQ & LJ series. ADR27 was a resistriction on outputs of HC etc but mainly at idle. In NSW all the rego guys want is a print-out of the exhaust at idle for certification, usually only if a non-standard carby is fitted, otherwise they don't bother. This may not be the case in other states. ADR27 cars left the factory with plugs or caps to stop people fiddling the idle mixture & on the V8s they added the hot air pick-up from the exhaust manifold.

ADR27A, introduced on the 1st July 1976 was the 1st time they introduced engine devices that affected drivability & engine output, with items like EGR valves & retarded cams & ignition systems. The 6 Cyl ADR27A motors got the hot air intake similar to the LH V8s. Early LXs don't have ADR27A.

The carbon canister is a device that captures fuel tank vapours & returns them to the engine to be added to the combustion mix. They were introduced on Holdens on the 1st Jan 1975 but do not feature on the Compliance plate as an ADR. Some rego guys know that 1975 cars require a canister, but many don't. If it was my car, I'd fit one to get rid of the petrol fumes from the fuel tank. Carbon canisters don't affect Horsepower or drivability. 1974 LH Toranas just vent the vapours to atmosphere.

Dr Terry.

#17 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:19 PM

This question gets asked again and again on this forum, with many stab in the dark answers. Dr Terry's response is well written and comprehensive, perhaps this could go somewhere moderators? Tech Articles perhaps?

#18 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:05 PM

So "Basically" pre july 76 is pre pollution.

Its not full pre pollution but there is nothing that needs to be applied for a roadworthy.
eg. carbon canister, egr valves and all the other crap that clogges up your engine bay and restricts performance.

Dr Terry, what does the "HC" mean in your write up?

Great write up too Dr. T.
:spoton:

#19 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:14 PM

HC or HCs refers to hydrocarbon(s), which is predominantly the refined petroleum product you use for fuel. Presence of HCs in the the exhaust indicates poor combustion, but what the EPA were worried about is the pollution effects of these unburnt HCs(as well as NOx, nitrous oxides), even perfect tuning wont eliminate them.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 05 February 2006 - 08:23 PM.

#20 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:22 PM

HC is hydrocarbons...unburnt fuel.

Torana482HP...You have just outed yourself as someone that doesn't know how your emission controls work (lots of people don't know..you aren't alone)....no bolt on emission control restricts your performance (EGR, PCV, Carbon canister,heated air inlet)

If everyone at least spent the time to learn how these things work then you would open the market to a whole heap more toranas instead of limiting yourself to pre july 1976 models.

I did a write up in the old forum on how things work...can it be found?

Edited by FastEHHolden, 05 February 2006 - 08:25 PM.

#21 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:42 PM

(as well as NOx, nitrous oxides)

Sorry, some misinformation. NOx refers to Nitrogen Oxides(all oxides of Nitrogen), whereas nitrous oxide is strictly NO2.

#22 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:55 PM

Yella throws a red herring in.

Even if your car is pre-1975, engineers may require a carbon cannister for your drop tank. Mine wanted two --> source of much discussion at car shows by armchair experts. If he want's em, I'm happy to have em, better than car smelling like fuel.

I still think it was a personal challenge for him to work out how you plumb in two, after a few glasses of red wine. If my scanner worked, I'd send you the plumbing diagram that goes with the engineering certificate, it's a work of art. Think the HZ pollution manifold also had something to do with it.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 05 February 2006 - 08:58 PM.

#23 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:57 PM

(as well as NOx, nitrous oxides)

Sorry, some misinformation. NOx refers to Nitrogen Oxides(all oxides of Nitrogen), whereas nitrous oxide is strictly NO2.

Nitrogen oxides (or are they oxides of nitrogen, don't quite remember) are formed when the combustion chamber temperatures become too hot. On the ADR27a engines (post 01 July 76) the extra pollution gear and lean settings had the engine running a lot hotter which produced the nitrogen oxides. There were sensors on the engine which detected the higher temperature - it advanced the ignition timing when the temps got high to increase the coolant flow which in turn cooled the engine. In effect some of the pollution gear reduced the polution and other parts of it countered the effects of pollution gear itself. That is why these engines had shiploads of rubber tubing and sensors on them.

#24 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:00 PM

The EGR lowers the running temp by allowing exhaust gases to be mixed with the inlet charge. Since it can't burn ( it's already been burnt ) the engine can't run as hot.

#25 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:13 PM

Torana482HP...You have just outed yourself as someone that doesn't know how your emission controls work (lots of people don't know..you aren't alone)....no bolt on emission control restricts your performance (EGR, PCV, Carbon canister,heated air inlet)

The EGR lowers the running temp by allowing exhaust gases to be mixed with the inlet charge. Since it can't burn ( it's already been burnt ) the engine can't run as hot.

Wouldnt mixing exhaust gasses with the inlet charge reduce performance? Replacing fuel + oxygen with Exhaust fumes?

my car is 74' so ive never had to worry about this, althogh i had a vh ss so i done a bit of research about the pollution crap (very minor research as to which tube goes where lol)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users