LX pollution gear - ADR27 & A Explained

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#26 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:16 PM

Also,

if your car is full pollution, are you allowed to install holley carbs and big cams etc? (not being smart, just wanna know.)

#27 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:31 PM

There were sensors on the engine which detected the higher temperature - it advanced the ignition timing when the temps got high to increase the coolant flow which in turn cooled the engine.

Surfmaster,perhaps more information here.
Vac advance to the dizzy was engaged once the cylinder head had got to operating temperature, called the cold feed switch(and top gear selected). There was also a thermal switch on top of the thermostat housing which allowed vaccum(advance) to the system to be controlled by manifold vaccum rather than carby vac if the coolant temp exceeded ~95C, (not really sure how that affects the advance here). Coolant flow can only be directly controlled by the engine thermostat and the water pump

Edited by devilsadvocate, 05 February 2006 - 09:31 PM.

#28 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:34 PM

Also,

if your car is full pollution, are you allowed to install holley carbs and big cams etc? (not being smart, just wanna know.)

Basically, no.

Wouldnt mixing exhaust gasses with the inlet charge reduce performance? Replacing fuel + oxygen with Exhaust fumes?

That's why people didn't like the anti pollution stuff. It did make the cars slower. When we got to the Blue motors, they had it sussed out a bit better. Which is why they went harder than the Red motors.

#29 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:36 PM

Ok...EGR mixes 15% of the exhaust gas with the inlet air reducing the formation of Oxides of Nitrogen AT CRUISE ONLY...it doesn't work at full throttle..therefore not reducing the performance....its all in the details.

No you can't fit hollies ect unless you can plumb it up to your emission controls and be able to prove it works....but there are carb choices out there instead of Holleys. WW Stromberg, Varijets and ADM 34 webers are 3 very good replacements for single strommies on red sixes...on V8 a WW strommy for a 253 or quaddy for a 308...heck ..quaddy on a 253 if its enough.

By the letter of the law you can't change cams..but cams wear out..and there isn't any real way for them to prove what cam you have anyway.

#30 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:38 PM

C there is reason to want to own a pre 76 car (like me)+ i think the engine looks cleaner when it only has equipment on it for proper engine operation, never liked those pipes on me commodore, looked confusing.

#31 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:38 PM

It wasn't that the pollution controls were to blame...more likely the band aid solutions applied by the engineers of the time.

#32 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:44 PM

They are a special breed aint they? I work with em every day, I give em curry all the time, they do likewise.

#33 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:45 PM

The legislation was obviously rushed in and gave GMH little time to work with the requirements. The fact that the Blue motors go harder with greater restrictions tends to make me think along those lines. If GMH were given more notice, the introduction of ADR27A wouldn't have been so bad.

#34 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:50 PM

Come on Chops, get real. Public servants need heaps of time to develop the rules, private sector only needs minimal time to implement em. It would be funny if it weren't true.

#35 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:53 PM

I spent 3 years in the public service, I don't need reminding on how it was supposed to work.

#36 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:33 PM

Shhhhhhhhhhhh, dont tell anyone, son's UC had a bypass operation today.
RACV MAN

#37 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:29 AM

The legislation was obviously rushed in and gave GMH little time to work with the requirements. The fact that the Blue motors go harder with greater restrictions tends to make me think along those lines. If GMH were given more notice, the introduction of ADR27A wouldn't have been so bad.

I dont think it was a matter of the engineers not having enough time. I would hazard a guess that the australian EPA took their lead from the US and adopted the measures that would have 1st been trialled in California, with GM and Ford simply bolting on the same stuff that the US engineers had developed.
The fact that Ford took basically the same established measures to have their motors meet the guidelines makes it sound like they had an agreement to do as little as possible. Basically, "if we both provide rubbish, well both still be in business". The concept for manufacturer to actually invest in teams of engineers working away getting the emissions of motors down hadnt been born in the early seventies.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 06 February 2006 - 06:34 AM.

#38 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:50 AM

My opinion is that if your stuck with a prollution controlled car.. the easiest ( but by no means th cheapest) way to "get around it" is to fit a good aftermarket EFI system. EFI really allows infinite tuning capability as well as being able to get the car under the pollution limits.

That would be my option if i had to abide by it all Thankfully mine's a 1972 HQ, and a 4/76 SLR! Charcoal cannister i'm happy with ( i think i really SHOULD put one or two on the HQ... but i just dont want to!).

Cheers.

#39 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:40 AM

My recommended way to get around it is to fit a gas system....no charcaol canister, egr.
still gotta run PCV

#40 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:21 PM

Even with LPG only, the EGR must be retained and be operational if fitted at the factory. That's how it is in VIC last time I checked.

#41 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:30 PM

That's not what they told me when I asked in 91! I was very specific about asking about the exhaust and EGR etc. Not doubting what they told Chopper, just annoyed that the rules have been changed and it appears there is nothing to stop them changing them again?

#42 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:18 PM

Interesting, never actually read about the LX SL/R 5000, and dunno if anybody has mentioned it here. They upped the compression from 9:1 to 9.7:1 to compensate for the anti-pollution gear. Things ya learn when you read.

Wonder if this was across the range, i.e. 202's included?

#43 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:49 PM

Interesting, never actually read about the LX SL/R 5000, and dunno if anybody has mentioned it here. They upped the compression from 9:1 to 9.7:1 to compensate for the anti-pollution gear. Things ya learn when you read.

Wonder if this was across the range, i.e. 202's included?

Not sure Yella if it was across the range, but before it came it we got the big scare tactics about how bad it was going to be........and they ( the qualified guys) weren't far wrong, the bloody things ran like hairy goats, you could not (yeah) take the plug out of the idle mixture screw to adjust the mixture or do anything else that was not according to Hoyle. (Who the hell is Hoyle anyway???)

My preference would be to:

a) buy a pre 27a vehicle (not easy to do)
B) put a later blue motor in, still a lot of plumbing but it basically fits and the Varijet Carby was light years ahead of the strangulated single strommy.

#44 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:21 PM

As far as I know, Hoyle wrote the rules of Poker / card games :) happy to be corrected on this!

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 11 February 2006 - 11:21 PM.

#45 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:23 PM

As far as I know, Hoyle wrote the rules of Poker / card games :) happy to be corrected on this!

Cheers
Herne

You know Herne I think you may have something there, what the hell was he doing down a 27a carby?

#46 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:12 AM

Probably looking for the flop ;) or possibly the river..... lol

Cheers
Herne

#47 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:36 AM

..... the bloody things ran like hairy goats, you could not (yeah) take the plug out of the idle mixture screw to adjust the mixture or do anything else .....

We's not experienced (old) enough to know of such motoring pleasures. Did mention that they ran pretty rough whilst reading though, but upping the compression ratio restored previously available horsepower output.

Mmmm, de-pollutionise an ADR27A engine for maximum grunt!!!!

#48 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:25 PM

My preference would be to:

a) buy a pre 27a vehicle (not easy to do)
B) put a later blue motor in, still a lot of plumbing but it basically fits and the Varijet Carby was light years ahead of the strangulated single strommy.

A: Me too.
B: Best to use a pre-pollution block with the Perfectune 12 port head. Otherwise it will require ADR27C. Unless you're happy to utilise ADR27C of course. But that would defeat the purpose of purchasing a pre ADR27A vehicle.

#49 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:30 PM

Hi Guys.

Yella SLuR said.

'Interesting, never actually read about the LX SL/R 5000, and dunno if anybody has mentioned it here. They upped the compression from 9:1 to 9.7:1 to compensate for the anti-pollution gear. Things ya learn when you read.

Wonder if this was across the range, i.e. 202's included?'

This isn't quite correct, the increase from 9.0 to 9.7 compression only occured in the 308/5 litre V8 & was introduced a long time before the ADR27A anti-pollution laws (1/7/76). This info is very difficult to find in GM-H literature & I would be glad to be proved wrong if that is the case.

Most people believe that the 308 in a stock LH SLR/5000 produced 240 kW because that's what sales brochures say. Fact is, that's what the early '74 cars produced but in late '74 at the release of the HJ, the LH Torana 308 was upgaded to HJ specs. This happened at engine number HT24413 and was the result of smaller dished pistons (9.7) & new camshaft timing (advanced by 5 degrees). You only had to drive an HQ & HJ 5 litre of equivalent spec to feel the difference. I'd be admitting my age if I told you how many of these cars I drove when they were new.

Dr Terry.

#50 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:09 AM

Thats a hard one, I thought the ADR rules were like, so you cant put a
performance air filter etc... Im not sure about the polution gear but.
And i'd like to know!

*Liam

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users