antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:05 PM

Hi all,

My brother has a Toyota Hilux (Tamworth Edition :tease: ) and it has a problem with some of the instrument lights flickering when at idle.

The instrument lights on the dash which are flickering are the battery, t-belt, fuel fliter and brake warning lights. I'm not at all familiar with the car and don't have access to a good wiring diagram but I believe it may have something to do with the alternator side of things (faulty regulator or diode). When driving, when the egine has some revs, the fault is no longer evident. Also when the engine is a operating temperature and at idle the flickering isn't as bad. It is the worst on a cold start at idle.

Is anyone here familiar with the Hilux that maybe able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,006 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:23 PM

If it's idling too low, that will happen.
Also check fan belt tension and the battery connection at the altermator.
The lights you mention are the lights that come on with the key, and go off once the engine starts running and the alternators starts charging.
Diesel by the read? idle speed isn't hard to adjust and should be on a sticker under the bonnet. Adjust at operating temp.

Edited by rodomo, 01 November 2007 - 08:27 PM.

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,006 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:44 AM

I've had a "total recall".
If it's the model I am thinking of, the air cleaner assembly is in behind the L/H headlight?
I remember a fault once that the snout on the air cleaner that points into the inner guard had rubbed through the wiring. The fault was only at idle as the air cleaner vibrated and disappeared as the revs came up.

Edited by rodomo, 04 November 2007 - 10:54 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users