Forming a Club

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:10 PM

Hi all, am wondering what is all involved in forming a car club?

A few mates in the small rural town where I live have been thinking of forming our own club with the end result of being able to provide for our own historic registration requirements ... plus giving a legitimate reason for us to hang out together, hehe.

Can anyone point me to a website which outlines what needs to be done, such as forming a committe, setting up bank accounts, how many people required as a minimum, etc.

#2 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:51 PM

PM smiley!

he is your man to tell you all about it!

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

Incorporated Bodies Act in your local state sets it all out, including model rules.

Last time I checked you didn't need a valid reason to hang out with anybody.

My personal advice, keep it a casual group of mates, cause sooner or later it will get political and like mongrel dogs they'll bite the hand that fed them. I was foolish, and thought you could have a car club that was not like this. I was wrong.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 10 November 2007 - 09:00 PM.

#4 racean69

racean69

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Name:Rod
  • Car:LH sedan

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:12 PM

Keep it just a group of mates...I agree with all the reasons that yella gave... and more reasons not to.
I have personaly seen it when thing go bad.

#5 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:13 PM

Last time I checked you didn't need a valid reason to hang out with anybody. 

Sometimes wifes/partners require valid reasons !!!!

Main reason for us wanting to form the club is to take advantage of the historical rego and as such we wont be an overly busy or demanding club of our members. Slightly social with minimal guidelines/expectations as to why you want to join, what you want to get out of the club or how many meetings you have to attend ...

During the course of a week I prob talk with most of these guys at least 3 or 4 times - prob get pissed as nits at least monthly together, so why have a meeting to discuss stuff?

Life in a country town does have some benefits.

Will do some searching for our Incorporated Bodies Act.

Thanks for the advice.

#6 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:19 PM

No worries, good luck with it. If you find the Act and the model rules, it is all pretty straight forward from there. I'm assuming your in Victoria. Not sure if you have to be a member of the Victorian Motoring Council down there for access (has a weird name down there, not Victorian Motoring Council, something more complicated). The Victorian Club (Heath or Steve) should be able to let you know.

#7 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

I was talking to my wifes Uncle who starting a new car club for mainly vintage and veteran cars and he was telling me about a family that formed their own club legitimately just so that they could have the historic regos for their own cars and not have to worry about club politics and all that cr@p. Apparently the club doesnt have to be incorporated, however if the club gets bigger its probably a good idea.

James

#8 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:59 PM

Pallbag - Looks like you have to go thru a bit of paperwork. From what I have found so far you need to be an Incorporated Association see following link for more info Incorporated Association

On the left side of this page will be links under Inc Assoc regarding fees, forms etc. I havnt read the material properly as there is heaps of it !!

After the club is incorporated Special Interest rego can be had thru QLD transport so long as current membership to the Inc club is produced. Or so it seems after a quick scan of the rego form. Im reckon there would be more to it than that though.

I am not sure if an Incorporated Car Club is the same as an Incorporated Association but a call to the QLD Office of Fair Trading should clarify this.

Good luck playing with Govt forms man, I sure as heck dont envy you :D

#9 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:01 AM

Thanks BigT, had a look and yes it does look like a bit of a headache.

Think we got lucky. I have been a member of a club in Dalby for last few years and they did a run out to us last weekend (to visit me instead of me going there all the time) and also coincide with one of our local meets and they have informally offered to adopt us as a sub-branch of their club.

Feel from the locals so far is that we bludge off them for now as we wont have to do any paper work and if interest keeps going 6 or 8 months down the track we may begin our own club locally.

Just need to come to agreement to what "attendance" requirements they will expect from us as they like to have you attend 3 meeetings/outings before granting & maintaining club membership/rego. Hopefully they will count our get togethers locally as equivalant to one of their club activities.

"Schweet as" I say ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users