Bombers side project

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:50 PM

Hey guys, i have made a bit of wind about this in a few other threads so thought i'd throw up a page.

Purchased the bike about 12 months ago. Progress has been fairly slow but its all about to come together.

The bike had been dropped when i got it, The frame is strait but both front forks were bent and a fair bit of the plastics were broken.

So the first thing to do was to pull it all down, then i repaired the plastics with fiberglass. After a bit of undercoat, and a lot of sanding, today i finally got all the bits and pieces ready for paint.

Theres a trade show on this Thursday, where i will be buying my new gun. Iwata W-400. Yummy.

Then get me some spies hecker 2K to flick over it, and the hard part will be done.

I have also collected a HUGE and very expensive pile of new gear to go into it. Kwaka bits are expensive, specially when you have to buy most of the stuff genuine.

All i have left to buy for it is some wheel bearings, and all the brake lines. Getting yummy stainless ones, cause A: there pretty and B: it currently has the original ones on there. I dont want to have to rely on 15 year old brake lines to pull me up from 200+km/h if i ever decide to wring it.

So yeah all thats left is to clean up the rims and paint them 2k silver, spray the frame in 2k silver (except for the black bits you can see i have already painted), paint the plastics in a special little color im going to be mixing up myself, then put the damb thing together.

Anyway, heres some pickies, we all love pickies.:

Bike in its current state, carbies have been pulled off and rebuilt, and the basics like oil plugs and water will be changed, but thats about all the motor is getting. The big motor for my Torana is getting closer so i have to get the bike back together to free up my engine stand!!!
Posted Image

Next a bit of the new stuff i have collected on the bench, plus a few other bits. The exhausts on the ground are off a Honda YZF 1000, got em off ebay cheap. Nice and shiny. Just cut the pipe off them and welded another bit on to make them fit. Should be a treat. Also the rebuilt front forks, and the rest of the pile.
Posted Image

And finally all the plastics, rubbed back and ready for duco.
Posted Image

I would like it going early next year, and i think im heading fairly well for my deadline as all the hard stuff is done.

Cheers.

#2 _jnrGTR_

_jnrGTR_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:55 PM

bomber
Dad as price a second motor for his $800.00 from the bike wreckers in penrith, they have a choice of three parts bikes......

do you need anything ?? as we can ask for you.....
jnrGTR

Edited by jnrGTR, 17 November 2007 - 08:56 PM.

#3 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2007 - 03:16 AM

Mate wish i had known that a few months ago

Have already given Kawasaki about $1500 for a handful of genuine parts that i couldent find at any wreckers.

Then I've spent about that again on after market parts lol.

Oh well.

#4 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:47 AM

Might as well have bought 200X ZX6R lol

What colour its going to be? Silver frame...black bike? No green? :D

#5 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:59 PM

Hey mate, yeah there will be a bit of green in there. you will have to wait and see.

Got a bit of major progress today, painted the frame and rims, few other bits silver.

Now i can start putting it back together, aim to have the body bits painted next weekend.

PICKIES!!!

Undercoat:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Base coat:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Clear coat:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thats got 5 coats of Spies Hecker HS clear over it, looks awesome in the flesh. Will put the same over the body bits.

#6 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:07 PM

that looks great ! :spoton:

and the best bit is your doing it your self....

#7 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:14 PM

Yeah mate.

Basically at the end of the day, in Rockhampton theres no where i would take a bike/car to get painted anyway.

Gotta do it myself if i want a half decent job.

Cheers for the compliment, its my first real go at spraying COB lol.

I spray single stage 2k every day at work, but this is a new challenge. And I love the stuff.

#8 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:18 PM

Mmmm lovely metallic. Looks like an excellent quality of finish. Can't wait to see the panels painted :P

#9 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:20 PM

Neither can i Heath!!!

And i must say now, Iwata W-400's might be bloody expensive, but im hooked on mine already. Just did such a nice job today. Im stoked lol.

First time spraying a new type of paint, first time using a new gun...Ahhh fun times.

#10 _EXLXSL_

_EXLXSL_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:26 PM

I've only just made it back on here and was wondering if you have bought your brake lines yet. I bought clear coated braided lines from Hel Performance - I think they had other colours to choose from too

Brake lines

and was impressed. Originally I had ordered the parts on their US site and they forwarded the order to here is Aus. Price was probably a little cheaper once shipping was added and the dude rang and asked more questions. Mainly checking the lengths and what sort of bends were on the ends.

#11 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:39 PM

That sounds good mate.

Theres this local joint i usually go to to get my stainless braided hoses, with a clear silicone outer sock.

Just take the old hoses in and drop back the next day with a wad of cash and pick the new ones up.

But if they cant do it for some reason (like lack of ends etc) i'll get onto those guys you suggested.

Cheers.

#12 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:59 PM

Woohoo its all starting to work now. Im beginning to feel a bit like Tuffgong lol, really freighting through this damb thing.

New battery fitted, air box all fitted up, new bar grips and ends, front forks on, polished the outside lip of the rims and got the tires put back on, and got the back wheel back on tonight with a new sprocket chain disk and pads. starting to look like a motorbike.

Posted Image
Polished outer lips on the rims, have come up a bit better since that pick was taken, i PURPLED THEM!!!

Posted Image
Nice new bar grips, not only do they look good there nice and ssqqquuuiiissshhhyyy.

Posted Image
Posted Image
OMG it has a wheel on it, first time in like 12 months.

Tomorrow i pick up my braided stainless brake lines, fit some of them up, bleed the back brakes, fit up the exhaust and pillion pegs, maybe a few other odd jobs.

I like it when stuff works lol.

Cheers.

#13 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:08 PM

Looks good Bom! :clap: :spoton: Thats a serious block of hardwood you have at the back of the bike....
R

Edited by rorym, 06 December 2007 - 06:09 PM.

#14 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:35 PM

im putting some of those chineese ebay fairings from ebay on my cbr250rr, the only bad thing is i have to paint the tank and wheels to suit. Id never go as far as you have with a bike, well done cant wait to see more

thanks for the brake line idea, i never thaught about it like that (15yo lines pulling up at 200clicks) Im getting new lines

#15 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

Cheers guys, Rory, that serious block of hardwood is what i used to bash against to put the chain together lol. Worked a treat. I have four of them all up laying around, very handy.

Ok, tonights progress, braided line fitted to the back and back brakes bled.

What a f*cking runaround. Leaks everywhere. First the new copper washers i got were the wrong size to go into a recess that is in the caliper, so that pissed out. I put the old ones back on and no worries, then the master started leaking. Put the old ones on, still leaking, put on one new one and one old one fixed. Two bloody hours later.

Now im setting up to spray all the body bits on Saturday. Bit early i know, but i found out this arvy that i have to work in Gladstone Friday and Saturday nights, will be getting back to rocky about 5am Saturday morning, sleeping for around five hours, hopefully getting up around 10am, then should get all the painting done by 5pm, in time to eat shower etc to head to Gladstone again. What a pain in the ass!!!!

Picks later if i dont fall asleep!!!

Cheers.

#16 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:12 AM

Ok guys finally an update.

The rest of the bike is painted!!!
Managed to get up at 10am Saturday morning, after being awake for 22 hours and getting five hours sleep lol.

Thats the good part, i'll put up the picks of that before i rat on the naughty news.

Thursday nights setup:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Saturday morning, basecoat. I put a green fleck in the black basecoat to Kawasaki it a bit:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now before i pump up some finished shots, heres some action shots for you, while i was putting on the third coat of clear. Note the PPE, it was damb hot ok.....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And finally some finished shots. Came up ok after six coats of clear. The green fleck is fairly coarse, took a lot to bury it in the clear and get it to flatten out.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ok, thats the fun shiny part. Now the crappy bit. Cause it was dam hot, i was having problems with water all day. I was running through two water traps, drained them after each coat and drained the compressor tank, as well as purging the air line. The compressor wasnt going flat out, its a 16cfm jobbie so well and truly up to the task of running one gun, but i still had water problems after all that. After i had finished spraying and took those last picks, i closed the shed up and went for a drive for an hour or so to grab some stuff. Came back and took another look, and in certain areas tthere are little humidity blisters, like little tiny volcano's. Really sucks, as i took all precautions to not get any shit in the job, and really there isnt a lot in it at all considering i didnt spray in a booth. But because of these little volcanos it looks like the whole job is covered in dust. Really irritated me.

But not to worry to much, i have intentions after the bike is registered to start air brushing bits of it, so this will have to happen over the crappy bits. All the paint still looks rather good anyway.

Now, its 4.10am Sunday.. I have had five hours sleep since 6am Friday. So if you will excuse me im going to bed :P. Nice cruisey day tomorrow, a mate of mine is throwing a Sunday shesh in his pool. Will be kicking back sucking down extra dry's all arvy, cant wait.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 09 December 2007 - 04:15 AM.

#17 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:07 AM

nice watson, were all waiting for you to put it back together now

#18 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:17 AM

Yep, we sure are. Geez that 'fleck' is course, I can understand why you needed so much clear. Must look incredible in the flesh though. Thanks for sharing, enjoy your Sunday of rest and alcohol. :P

#19 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:33 PM

You wanna see it back together???

Posted Image

:P

Thats actually a bit of a ricer photo, its not quiet up to that stage. I just dummied it up tonight to see what it would look like, couldent help myself.

Heres a bit of a run down since Saturdays progress.

Monday night:
Put the front guard on, front wheel, front brakes, fitted up the brake lines and began bleeding them. Also Got the bike off the engine stand for the first time in god knows how long.
Posted Image

Tuesday night:
Coolant change, Oil change, put the fuel tank on and got it to start and run for the first time in got knows how long, again. Continued trying to get the front brakes to bleed.
Posted Image

Wednesday night (tonight) Got the front brakes to bleed properly finally, Tweaked the carbs a bit and got it to run heaps nicer, put on the back fairings, realized they dont fit right, put on the front upper fairing, fitted headlight blinkers windscreen and the surrounds for the dash. All in all not a bad effort. Played around with my exhausts a bit but there gonna take a bit more playing around with.
Posted Image
Posted Image

So there it is, whats left now is to make the exhausts fit properly, get the rear fairings to fit properly, fit up the pussy bar, fit the seat, fit the lower fairing and little silver strip and thats her. Woot!!!

Cheers.

#20 _jake_

_jake_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

Oooo Shiny!

Looks wicked man, should look mad in the sun.

#21 MODNIZD

MODNIZD

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Name:Phil
  • Car:4 Door LC RB25DET

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:07 PM

Very nice! Got some before shots?

I have a ZZR 250. haha. Will probably buy a ZZR 600 next :)

#22 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 01:28 AM

rub them dots off and purple pearl over the top, that would look the shit

#23 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 01:52 AM

Yeah Jake, i cant wait to get it out into the sun. Was cloudy today so no point.

MODNIZED, dont be ashamed of the 250 Kwakas mate, my current roll around is a 03 GPX, great bike, will be keeping it for a while yet. Basically the big one is to pretty to take to work all the time lol.

Heres some picks from the day i got the thing, it was dropped onto its left side, i didnt really get any picks of the damage. The repairs came out so well i wish i had though.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

OK!!! here we go, Thursday night and Saturdays progress. Had to work Friday and Saturday nights which put a bit of a dampener on it, but still fairly happy with what i achieved.

Thursday:
Nothing that much to wright home about, Got the side panels to fit properly, fitted up the pussy bar, seat, luggage clips, etc. Also modded the right hand exhaust so it fit up.
Posted Image
Ignore the dodgy clamp, i was just using them for the test fitting. Nicer ones are on now.
This pick shows how i had to move the mount
Posted Image

Saturday:
Modded the other exhaust so it fit, Then modded the center stand so it worked with the new exhausts. I also took a massively long picture trail to annoy you lot with :D

Now, The mufflers are off a Honda VRX 1000, so obviously wernt gonna bolt on. Ages ago i cut the Honda tubes off the mufflers and welded on some 2" exhaust tube so they fit into the Kawasaki system, and didnt get much further. What i have done the last couple of days is make them fit properly.

First i removed the bracket and cleaned the muffler up with my 3" air sander.
Posted Image

Then cleaned the bracket up a bit, same way
Posted Image

I straitened it out, as it has many unusable bends in it, then fitted up the muffler and with a bit of trial and error, got something usable.
Posted Image

Then i dummy fitted the Whole lot up, got the muffler sitting where i wanted it, and marked where the bracket had to go
Posted Image

Took it off, tack welded it, then re test fitted the setup.
Posted Image

Happy with the position, i fully welded it
Posted Image

And cleaned it up
Posted Image

Wala. Now i have to take the two mufflers back off later today, when i wake up again, and polish them up where i was playing around.

Now, The center stand was the next problem. It is designed to come up and sit on the standard Kawasaki muffler, But my Honda mufflers fit completely different. So it sat way to low, and funnily enough when the muffler wasnt on there at all it went right up and hit the chain. so i had to get it just right.

Posted Image
That is how it looked when i started. the bit you put your foot on came up and hit on the bottom of the muffler, giving me about 3" between the ground and the stand. not good. So i cut the whole arm off the center stand, cut the foot bit off just before the bend, and started from there.

Heres a pick of the arm, with the foot bit welded back on where i wanted it after numerous test fits. Sorry bout the crap pick, the camera seemed more interested in focusing on the blue paperweight in the background.
Posted Image

Then, after a bit more dummying up, i tacked and welded the arm back on where i wanted it.
Posted Image

Now all i had to do was graft on a rubber stopper to stop it from vibrating. this came from Bunnings in the form of a chair leg end thingymabob, for a princley $2.13 for four of them. I cut it up and changed it a fair bit, and welded a bolt on so i could do a nut up inside of the stopper. Works a treat. Heres a pick showing the little bolt, and my hansom pressure pack paint job. I managed to find a pressure pack nearly the same color as the rest of the silver, so was happy.
Posted Image

Tada, now sits nice and high and clears the muffler, and has a rubber stopper now. What more could a man want???
Posted Image

Admittedly, it is a lot harder to put up onto the center stand now. Because of how i moved the arm theres no where near as much leverage, as i thought would be the case while i was doing it. Luckily im a strong young bugger ey :P

Anyway, thats it from me tonight.

Cheers.

#24 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:01 PM

Woop Woop, its finished!!!

Had a bit of a half ass day today, still managed to get a bit done though.

Polished the mufflers up properly, put them back on, sealed the exhaust up, put the lower fairing back on, adjusted the chain rear brake light and a few other things that wernt quiet right, and put a couple of stickers on her :D

Yay.

Pickies!!!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'll make a booking for roadie tomorow, all i have to do between now and then is make up a ramp so i can put it in and out of my ute easyer.

cheers.

#25 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

Nice Looking Bike man you have done a nice job bet it hammers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users