18 replies to this topic

#1 MONZA1

MONZA1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:50 AM

Hi. I was just wondering how much the colour of an LJ XU1 would affect its value? If I were to look at a Juniper car would it be worth as much as another colour which may be more desirable?

Cheers
Phil

#2 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:54 AM

Hypothecially anything other than original affects the price down. In practice it may not mean that the que to buy the car is any shorter. Will depend on asking price and personal choice.

#3 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:46 AM

Ever traded in a white car?? The salesman looks at the, states how nice it is and then says "pity it's white". Now that may be be just an excuse to offer less but a car yard full of white cars does not look at all appetising...

Although I like a nice neat white LH/LX with blackouts, bonnet or stripes as in the LH I would think that white is perhaps one colour that's not as welcome as say a bright red or blue..
Just My Opinion.

Keep the paint looking bright, clean and fresh, make it looked loved and there's probably no problem.

Cheers
Herne

#4 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:17 AM

Colour does not necessarily affect value, in theory it does on restored Toranas/expensive original models etc. Herne presented a very good point there that I hadn't thought of. Also, an SMP XU-1 (only when it's the original colour of course!) can be worth $20,000 more than any other XU-1.

That may just be a one-off, but I imagine Tuxedo-Black A9Xs are worth a fortune, but generally speaking I think it merely depends on the buyer and the buyer's plans for the vehicle etc.

If I were to buy a modern car I'd prefer it to be a non-factory colour so that it would be a bit unique; it's unnecessary for Toranas because no two are the same.

#5 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:45 AM

White is hard to get rid of? I know of at least one company that restricts the colours employees can choose when picking a new company car, and prefers them to pick white. I think perhaps on the basis that other colours can go in and out of fashion and reduce resale value whereas there will always be white and most people arent turned away because the car is white, even if they'd prefer another colour in their 2nd hand car

#6 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:28 PM

sigh!

#7 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:40 PM

sigh!

:D

Yes, colour does measurably affect a cars desirability and therefore value. The actual effect is does have comes down to the desirability of the model and its body shape. For example if l were to buy an A9X hatch l would give my left nut to buy a white one over all others. But if l were buying an SLR5000 white would be at the bottom of my list so straight away my personal taste has affected the price l would be willing to pay for thise cars if l were in the market.

l wonder how much the one and only Black GTHO Phase 3 would sell for? Now tell me that colour doesnt affect price :huh:

Cheers Simon

#8 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:01 PM

I was thinking along the same lines when I was looking for an XU-1, I found one and it is plain Jane white but it is still an original XU-1.
These days as you are tossing up over the colour someone else just back doored you and drove off in your car :tease:
Remember Holden don`t have these cars in the dealerships <_< anymore

#9 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:33 PM

Straight to the point....

ABSOLUTELY.

Cheers Greg..

#10 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:21 PM

sigh!

A childish response Herne, isnt any one allowed to contribute items contrary to what you believe?

#11 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:48 PM

I had no reluctance to buyin` the XU- 1, as I said you can paint a car any colour you want,once it is in your own garage.
My white XU-1 on my webpage is testiment to a plain colour that still looks "shit hot and like I said it is what it is :tease:
Don`t get me wrong I have favourite colours as we all do but, beggars can`t be choosers when these cars are so sort after. <_<
Monza1 I`m sorry but I haven`t came across an XU-1 that isn`t DESIRABLE what ever colour it is :rockon:

Edited by smiley, 04 February 2006 - 05:59 PM.

#12 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:12 PM

Well said Darryn!

Beggars can't be choosers!

I'd be happy with any colour that came along!

After all its not the colour that makes it go fast !!!!!

Cheers

Torry nut :rockon:

#13 _SLR5000_

_SLR5000_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:24 PM

There is no doubt the colour of a COLLECTABLE car does determine the value. I know my SL/R 5000 in Cyclamen is much rarer than say white & if I were to sell I would expect more dollars for it.

Or another example a Strike Me Pink XU-1 or a white XU-1 same condition as each other what one do you think would sell for more? Of course the Strike Me Pink would.

A Suburau Forrester in white versus a red colour who cares, they are not a collectable care, in collectable cars colour does matter.

Edited by SLR5000, 04 February 2006 - 10:25 PM.

#14 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:46 AM

I agree, I would like an XU1 and a while ago there was one here for sale that was a dark wood brown type of colour that was supposedly original. I decided that I didn't want to stretch myself money wise for a car that I hated the look of, even if it was an XU1. So to me that was worth less than a red or purple one.

[/QUOTE]l wonder how much the one and only Black GTHO Phase 3 would sell for?[quote]Is that car around these days? Is the whereabouts of that car known or is it one of those missing one?

Mondie...[/quote]For example if l were to buy an A9X hatch l would give my left nut to buy a white one over all others. [QUOTE]
Is that just because it is your favourite colour?

#15 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:24 AM

Who in there right mind would pay $20k more for a SMPink XU1 over a Lina Mint, cyan blue, lime green met, yellow dolly, orchard met, sunburst met, etc?
In the same condition they are the same value on the good colours.

Sure the popular "plain" whites and reds might not get as much coin, but there not too far off, certainly not $20k off. Maybe $5k over a rare colour but 20k where do you get your figures from?

These days they will all sell if there the right car, the colour just determines how keen someone is, eg. I wouldnt jump at a pink xu1 or a car painted sky blue. Just my personal preferrence but these colours dont appeal too me so its hard to buy a car your not 100% happy with.

#16 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:36 AM

I was a bit confused about that as well, Kudu. I think there's something special about white A9Xs that i've never really understood. I don't think I'd ever paint a Torana white - unless i was doing a completely factory restoration - but I think white is just 'the A9X Hatch colour' or something.

#17 _SLR5000_

_SLR5000_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:48 AM

LS1LX where was it mentioned that:

Who in there right mind would pay $20k more for a SMPink XU1 over a Lina Mint, cyan blue, lime green met, yellow dolly, orchard met, sunburst met, etc?
In the same condition they are the same value on the good colours.

No one is saying $20k more for a Strike Me Pink XU-1, however a Strike Me Pink XU-1 would sell for more than say a same model, same condition white XU-1 due to the fact there were not many of this colour made & there are not many left in Strike Me Pink.

Same story with a Genuine Black LH SL/R 5000 this would certainly be a very rare colour for this model & would command more $$$ than say a white LH SL/R 5000.

At the end of the day the market determines the price & it is already crystal clear the hard to get colours are more desirable & worth more money.

Whilst I agree any genuine, unmodified XU-1 or SL/R 5000, with all matching numbers would be great to have in any colour. I know what colours I would rather have in my garage both from a personal colour preference & a desirable, sort after colour preference.

Edited by SLR5000, 05 February 2006 - 07:49 AM.

#18 _SLR5000_

_SLR5000_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:47 AM

Ah I just noticed a $20K more figure was mentioned for a SMP XU-1. Sorry still recovering from last night :blink:

#19 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:14 AM

I was a bit confused about that as well, Kudu. I think there's something special about white A9Xs that i've never really understood. I don't think I'd ever paint a Torana white - unless i was doing a completely factory restoration - but I think white is just 'the A9X Hatch colour' or something.

My interpretation Heath is that it is the shade of white. There are so many variations of this shade. The Palais white used just suits the body contours and paint masks. That's what i put it down to. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users