fitting commodore wheels on hq pattern

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _igotsh_

_igotsh_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:34 PM

what are peoples thorghts about fitting commodore wheels on hq pattern.
i realize that there is a slight variance from imperial to metric.
has anyone had any problems.
does any one know how much differnce there is, thanks.

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:38 PM

Commodore pattern: 5/120
HQ pattern: 5/120.65

Don't do it. I've seen rims damaged, studs break and wheels fall off cars. Apart from that, not much can go wrong.

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:38 PM

Yeah I've heard a lot about studs breaking, dunno how common it is that the wheel comes right off though, Chop!

Make sure it clears the hub on the front of course. And stud breakage may be related to wheelnuts tension commonly...

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:58 PM

It's very simple why the wheel falls off. The HQ centre bore is 71.5 MM. Commodore is 69.5 MM. So basically the rim won't even sit on the hub properly. Then because the stud pattern is wrong, the wheel nuts don't sit in the taper. It's the taper that keeps the wheel nuts tight. So if the nuts aren't tight, they don't stay on. Then the wheel follows shortly after. The reason the studs break is that they are having a lot of side load put on them, which they aren't designed to handle. The studs are simply to secure the rim to the hub. Nothing else.

#5 _igotsh_

_igotsh_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:11 PM

thanks guys.
what about stud diameters. commodore studs are bigger arnt they.
i have been looking at a alloy commodore rim and looks like you could mill out the hub hole 2mm bigger no probs.. have you heard of people doing this chop?
with stud pattern variance, i think .65 of a mm would be o.k..?

i have bought a wb caprice and it really needs a set of 17s and a lowering.

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:27 PM

The centre bore can be taken out to 71.5 MM without any drama. A small amount of machining work can correct the stud pattern. Then all is required is to fix the offset problem ( a 17x8 Commodore rim will sit a further 55 MM inboard than a 14x6 HQ rim ) and you're done. It would simply be cheaper to get the correct rim made rather than buy some second hand Commodore rims and get them correctly modified.

#7 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:38 PM

And yes, Commodre studs are bigger ( 12 MM ) than HQ studs ( 7/16" or 11.1125 MM ). And as I said previously, the difference in stud pattern is enough to cause problems. Even if the centre bore is machined to 71.5 MM. That being the wheel nuts won't sit in the taper properly and therefore won't tighten properly. Which means they will probably come loose. You know what happens next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users