- - - - -

My project - LC GTR Blown 383

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:06 PM

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and am currently undergoing my LC GTR project and not restoring it totally original, but the interior is and exterior will be, but obviously the motor and drive train won't.

I have had the car for two years and drove it around as my daily, to uni, to work and to quiet spots to smoke out with my mates.

Where do I start?....

Well It had a hot 202 in it with standard carb, soon ripped them off and put some triple strombergs on it. Managed to get 115 rwkws with them, but it wasn't enough so I had a set of triple webers 42mm and direct port nitroused each runner.

Soon I wanted a V8 (saw the light! :D ). I stripped the car down and am now starting from scratch, new paint, wheels, bonnet, boot, doors, I have had every nut, bolt, hinge, assemble either chrome plated or zinc gold plated. I have most of the parts from which I have either bought new or restored. Interior is all new in original vinyl (black).

I have decked out my garage extensively in order to finish the project by this time next year. I have just turned 21 and am a full time uni student, and work 33hrs a week (have to -mortgage and cars, cars, cars).

Looking forward to updating you and hearing from you guys, will send some pics soon.

Catcha, Adam.

#2 _lexa_

_lexa_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:36 PM

sounds like a great project, cant wait to see some photos! welcome to the forum mate!

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:17 PM

Awesome stuff, I love the idea of an original looking special model that can still rip the doors off most cars :) We'll all be waiting kindly for some pics!

This thread may be of interest to you:
http://www.gmh-toran...?showtopic=1218

Edited by Heath, 05 February 2006 - 05:19 PM.

#4 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:30 PM

:D Yeah ya right, someone else does have a nice project on the way, engine bay looks crazy! :tease: Will post some pics soon, but I gota learn how to get my pics on a site first cos ya can't download them straight from ya computer. Any suggestions? Thanks guys,

Catcha Adam.

#5 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:40 PM

Sign up on Photobucket.com and then you just copy the link across into a post and it appears, too easy!

Resize the photos before you upload them if you know how too ;)
- if you need a hand with anything, PM me

#6 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:56 PM

Thanks heaps heath, will download the pics in a minute or two. Cheers champ! Appreciated! :clap:

#7 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:35 PM

Well thanks to heath (cheers again mate, it was a piece a cake), I am now going to put pictures of my cars progress every week. I will include the pictures from the very start, until it is finished. These pictures below is what it looked like one year ago from today, now its..... well undergoing surgery! :rockon:

More pictures very shortly.

Here goes, hope you guys like it!

Catcha, Adam.

LC GTR Project 1
LC GTR Project 2
LC GTR Project 3
LC GTR Project 4
LC GTR Project 5
LC GTR Project 6
LC GTR Project 7
LC GTR Project 8
LC GTR Project 9

Edited by adamlcgtr383blownchev, 05 February 2006 - 11:35 PM.

#8 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:50 AM

Welcome to our humble online home.

Nice signature too :)

#9 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:30 AM

Cheers Tinkers!

Okay well I'm getting a bit carried away, but am going to put up some photos of what I have done in the last two months (obviously with work its hard).

Hope you guys like it.

Catcha, Adam.

LC GTR Project - my home
LC GTR Project - my engines... Left one is a mmock engine, right one is the four bolt 383...enough said?
LC GTR Project - my mock up
LC GTR Project - mock up
LC GTR Project - bonnet bare metaled
LC GTR Project - bonnet being etch primed
LC GTR Project - Bonnet finished
LC GTR Project - front guards being paint stripped
LC GTR Project - guards bare metaled
LC GTR Project - guard etch primed
LC GTR Project - guard etch primed
LC GTR Project - garage... getting tired...Zzzzz
LC GTR Project - car frame
LC GTR Project - garage... Almost asleep.. . . . .

#10 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:37 AM

your an sa boy arnt ya? RPM 202 plates? and used to work at bowland? if so she could pull a nice skid just with the 202 :tease:

Edited by high_rpm, 06 February 2006 - 01:45 AM.

#11 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:10 AM

Yeah mate thats me! Whered ya see it smoke up? I only do it in construction places... I mean no I have never laid a burny ever, umm yeah....

The 202 was good for what it was:

Yella Terra head - for sale.
roller rockers - for sale.
crane cam - still with bottom end (for sale)
balanced bottom end - for sale
high volume oil pump - for sale
triple webers - sold
nitrous fed - sold
4-speed m21 - for sale
16 inch wheels - sold

Thought I would list it quickly here, but am going to list it in selling shortly. PM me with offers if you want something otherwise ebay will get it. Cheers, Adam.

#12 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:37 AM

Okay guys here are some more photos of what I did last thursday.

I baremetaled the front end (behind the grill, headlights, etc) and finished the top of the guards. I then took the passenger door off with my dads snap-on punch set and bent them even whilst I was heating it with an oxy. Dads are good for breaking their tools (nah I straightened them again).

Catcha, Adam.

LC GTR Project - front end bare metaled, in etch primer
LC GTR Project - cut rusted piece out and cut new with nibbler
My daily driver, is there anything else they're good for... nope
My dads Camaro - One of his three nice cars, bastard!

#13 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:46 AM

seems you have it planned out pretty well, keep us updated on your progress, shoul be interesting

#14 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:24 PM

No worries 2wild4u heading to the garage now. Will probably update the pictures tomorrow. Catcha, Adam. :rockon:

#15 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:21 PM

Hey Adam, PM TUFF... i know he;s looking for some good quality 202 parts at the right price. It sounds like your engine may be what he's after!

Also looks like that shiny 6/71 will be up niiice and high in that engine bay!! Cant wait to see more.. Looks like an AWESOME project mate!

Welcome to the forum, Enjoy!

#16 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:34 PM

Cheers Tiny!
I will PM asap. Well I have come in from the garage and got some more updates. As you know I took the passenger door off and today I bare metaled it, metal conditioned it and etch primed it. The worst thing about the smaller sections like these is that you can't really use paint stripper as the panels aren't flat enough for a paint scrapper.

Yeah Tiny your right about the blower out of the bonnet! If it is too high and looks ridiculous I'll just put a low rise on it. I really want to go injection but I find it will be easier to change from the blower to a low manifold and carb pretty quickly to drive it on the street. Well enjoy guys, hope your projects are progressing. Catcha, Adam. :spoton:

Bare metaled and etch primed, bit rusted out but meh, I'll fix it.
Lower section of door sill panel, reasonably good nick surprisingly!

#17 _Bedford_

_Bedford_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:43 PM

Is that cling wrap on the guard in this shot?

Posted Image

What's it there for? Is that to make it easier to remove the paint stripper? :blink:

#18 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:45 PM

Well enjoy guys, hope your projects are progressing.

Well yes, but, woah! Everyone on this website (with the possible exclusion of Jap-XU1) is too lazy to progress that much and post that many photos. It looks absolutely nuts and it's coming along bloody quickly! Keep those pics coming. :D

P.S. Your father has a really nice Camaro there

EDIT: I'm guessing that Cling-wrap has something to do with stopping air getting to the products he's applied on there to soften the paint or something? Just a guess; I've never stripped paint off a car.

Edited by Heath, 06 February 2006 - 04:47 PM.

#19 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:52 PM

Hey guys, the cling wrap is put over the paint stripper for 15-20 minutes to hold the reaction in. The reason why paint stripper works better like this is due to the oxygen not airating the fumes, this way is bubbles in a few minutes and is much easier.

Cheers for the compliments fellas, to me I'm moving too slow, but I am impatient. I'm also installing a 308 into my mates mustang back celica at the moment, let me know if you guys want to see some pics and I will post them up!

Take care, and cherrish those torries!

Adam. :D

#20 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:10 PM

Yeah mate thats me! Whered ya see it smoke up? I only do it in construction places... I mean no I have never laid a burny ever, umm yeah....

you kinda went side ways thru marion :P i cant beleive your repainting it i thought she was like perfect :blink:

#21 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:17 PM

Very far from perfect, bog galore mate!

#22 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:23 PM

I'm also installing a 308 into my mates mustang back celica at the moment, let me know if you guys want to see some pics and I will post them up!

Yes! lol.

#23 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:43 PM

Alright then will post pictures tomorrow afternoon. Probably more of the GTR too cos I'm spending tomorrow afternoon in garage. Oh by the way my dads Camaro isn't his favourite, he has a rotiserie that he loves, but I love it too, sus it out you might see why... Catchas,

Adam

Posted Image

#24 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:28 PM

hey mate, is that an iwata gun??? looks a lot like my acrylic gun...

one little niggly bit, see how you have stripes across your bonnet...widen your fan a bit, and increase the air pressure to even up the paint distribution again. then aim for a 50% overlap for every pass....yo uwon't get them. they don't hurt in the undercoat but if you get that in your paint it will look tacky...

now, that covered, you are a god. mate of mine has a ~ 550hp 383 in a lj, it's bgucking balistic. it's naturaly aspirated....

#25 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:28 AM

Thanks mate, I'll adjust it first thing tomorrow. Not sure if I'm using that gun for final coat though as I want 2pak.

Cheers for the compliment, can't wait to get the body done. 3 Weeks till uni goes back, grrrr!

Catcha, Adam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users