Rare Spares Speedo cable issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2007 - 10:26 PM

Hi Les,

I just went to install the Rare Spares speedo cable I bought many years ago and surprise surprise, it is NOT a simple case of removing the original and slotting in the new.

The original has a cracked sheath.

The new one looks great but does not have the large O ring at the gearbox end, nor does it have the firewall rubber seal.

Yes I can go chase up another O ring but changing over the seal is impossible.
The cable end fittings are approximately 1" (25mm for you young ones) and the hole in the original aged seal is approximately 1/4". Even if I cut up the original I can't see the seal stretching over the new cable's end fittings.

What was Rare Spares thinking when it came to the Firewall seal?
Should they not come with an O ring?

With the limited time I have available after Work, Woman and Whiners (children).
It's not surprising that it has taken 20 years so far when new stuff creates such a F&*K around factor. Isn�t it great when it Just works. Bitch bitch moan!!!!

How have others dealt with this? Any suggestions?

#2 _gmhgtr_

_gmhgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

nope because i went to suttons holden and bought one, they still have them as they are a common size on most of the cars. will dig around and find the part number, or i will take a pic of the bag with GM Label on it., it was around the $60.00 mark and had no problems at all.

ps. the metric sizing system is much easier for us young'ins :P
damn 1/4" 5/16" sizing!!

steve

#3 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:18 AM

Hi Les,

I just went to install the Rare Spares speedo cable I bought many years ago and surprise surprise, it is NOT a simple case of removing the original and slotting in the new.

The original has a cracked sheath.

The new one looks great but does not have the large O ring at the gearbox end, nor does it have the firewall rubber seal.

Yes I can go chase up another O ring but changing over the seal is impossible.
The cable end fittings are approximately 1" (25mm for you young ones) and the hole in the original aged seal is approximately 1/4". Even if I cut up the original I can't see the seal stretching over the new cable's end fittings.

What was Rare Spares thinking when it came to the Firewall seal?
Should they not come with an O ring?

With the limited time I have available after Work, Woman and Whiners (children).
It's not surprising that it has taken 20 years so far when new stuff creates such a F&*K around factor. Isn�t it great when it Just works. Bitch bitch moan!!!!

How have others dealt with this? Any suggestions?

I have just checked our stock of Speedo cables and they all have the �O� ring, I am at a loss to explain why yours doesn�t. As for the fire wall grommet if it is for LH LX they do not have the grommet at this stage but we are working on it , one of the many products we still have to make. To fit your old grommet you will have to cut it from the centre hole to the outer edge and slip it over the cable
Les

#4 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:53 AM

To fit your old grommet you will have to cut it from the centre hole to the outer edge and slip it over the cable
Les

I use a sharp blade and cut from the centre to 6 o'clock installed. Glue it back together with contact cement and no-one will ever know.

PS..... Harden up Baron !!! :D

#5 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:29 PM

Thanks all,

Harden Up?
With a tag like your's Struggler, I would have thought you could see my point. :D

It would be nice if it just went in and worked without the Fugn around when you buy it brand new from a reputable supplier.

Anyway looks like I will have it finished for the next A9X Nationals.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users